pirate
pirate Reader
3/2/15 9:38 a.m.

Need to purchase a abrasive type chop saw. Want something that I can cut accurate angles with in various degrees with good repeatability. Will be cutting mostly 1 inch square tubing prabably .06 wall. What are you guys using. Certainly would like to have a cold saw but budget won't allow.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/2/15 9:49 a.m.

Cheap princess auto unit has done a lot of cutting for me. Managed to build an English wheel with 1/4" wall and 2x6 dimensions, but it was not easy.

Cheap saws are harder to hold a consistent angle cut on thick metal. 0.060" wont be a problem. Sounds like you are building a Locost?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
3/2/15 11:14 a.m.

I've used the HD harbor freight 14" unit for several years. Accurate, no, repeatable, yes. Meaning the marks an such on it are far from right, but if you take the time to measure it out manually and lock it down, it will cut the same way all day. I usually work in the same tubing you mentioned too.

It ain't a precusion instrument, but its more precise than my welding!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/2/15 11:18 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: It ain't a precusion instrument, but its more precise than my welding!

At first read I thought you were making a HF joke that everything bought there can and will at some point be used as a hammer, but then I figured out you meant precise and not percussion.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/2/15 11:20 a.m.

There are some chop saws out that use carbide blades. We have the dewalt one at work ($500 I think), but there are other cheaper ones out there. The cuts are outstanding. Perfectly milled ends, no slag, no heat.

Also, you may be able to just convert an abrasive saw to carbide by swapping the blade out (but the blades are pricy).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/2/15 11:39 a.m.
Kendall_Jones wrote: There are some chop saws out that use carbide blades. We have the dewalt one at work ($500 I think), but there are other cheaper ones out there. The cuts are outstanding. Perfectly milled ends, no slag, no heat. Also, you may be able to just convert an abrasive saw to carbide by swapping the blade out (but the blades are pricy).

Abrasive saws spin too fast to use the dry cut blades.

I was in the market about this time last year. I didn't want to deal with heat, noise, mess of an abrasive. I looked long and hard at the Evolution Rage dry cut saws.

I bought the 4x6 HF band saw with a 25% off Easter coupon. I put a good Bi-metal multi-pitch IRWIN blade on it, and took the time to true/square everything up. I'm happy with my decision. Takes up a lot more space than an abrasive saw, but is infinitely quieter, no kerf to speak of, and makes cool straight cuts. Blade doesn't wear near as quick either.

evildky
evildky Dork
3/2/15 12:41 p.m.

Depends on your standard, and patience. The abrasive saws cut decently when you take your time, you rush and they deflect. Should be fairly consistent but it just depends on your tolerances. If you take your time it's good enough to built a locost chassis as many have done. I wouldnt want to ride in an airplane built using only abrasive saw miters.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/2/15 12:51 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: It ain't a precusion instrument, but its more precise than my welding!
At first read I thought you were making a HF joke that everything bought there can and will at some point be used as a hammer, but then I figured out you meant precise and not percussion.

Don't all Harbor Freight tools become percussive instruments at some point in their lives?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/2/15 1:24 p.m.

I'm still using a cheap Ryobi miter saw I bought at Home Depot almost 15 years ago. I put abrasive disks in it and I've cut enough 304 stainless to make 2 cars. Still works fine. I don't think I've ever used it for wood.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/2/15 5:38 p.m.

I have the $49 HF abrasive saw. It is made cheaply, but it works great. No complaints. I use a framing square to set the clamp and that makes it accurate. As with any abrasive saw, the secret is not pushing too hard. Not only does that make excess heat and eat the blade really fast, it can cause the blade to bend and push itself off square, especially when making miter cuts.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
3/3/15 8:49 a.m.

I need something like this, to cut tubing for a custom exhaust system, square tube for chassis reinforcements, and roll cage tube.

If I go the abrasive route, does anybody have experience with the HF 14" saws that would lead me to buy their more expensive 3 1/3 HP model instead of the 2 HP one? The reviews for the former make me thing the motor design is a lemon.

pirate
pirate Reader
3/3/15 3:08 p.m.

I have continued to look at tha abrasive chop saws but also have looked at the Evolution Rage 2 dry cut saw bigdaddylee82 mentioned. Home Depot online currently has it listed for $199.99 which is anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper then anyone else. Appears to have good reviews. However, the price is still much higher then some of the abrasive units. What to do? Thanks for everyones input!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
3/3/15 3:50 p.m.

In reply to pirate:

The Rage will get you a much cooler, and machined cut. You'll not have the the sparks and grind dust, but you will have a lot of tiny metal chips still. Blades are exponentially more expensive to replace than an abrasive, but if you're competent and let the saw do the work, don't force it, it'll last a while. Allow it to chatter, or force it to cut through stuff, you'll loose teeth. I've read that the blades can be sharpened at a fraction of replacement cost, but haven't looked into it.

I went with the band saw, because it gave me much cheaper consumables, that IRWIN blade is $12-14, plus it can be used in vertical mode, giving me much more variety in what kind of cuts I can make, as opposed to only miters/chops of the "chop" saws.

Some day, I'll have a true cold saw, until then I'm mostly content with my Chicom bandsaw.

Look at the bench top mitering band saws too, there's a few Chinese Femi & HEM Saw knock offs on the market now. I played with a bench top Femi at a trade show, I really, really, really, wanted to take it home with me, but I refrained.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/4/15 6:49 p.m.

for precision cuts i did like Dr Hess. I put a 12" abrasive blade in my old Ryobi 12" compound miter saw before I retired it. Aside from some melty plastic parts on the saw, it was extremely accurate. I have a Ryobi 14" cutoff saw, and while it does have degree marks i use a square or other instrument to set the fence. Highly recommend a machine with a cast iron base versus stamped steel. Mine is at least 10 years old and has built several car frames, cages, trailers, and any other crap i need to cut.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pGX5w1JHgkGVyjZZ4hmCf7nR7nON4CXuQGaP4dhkRgMo3plS4knpfVO94J5NH64a