jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports New Reader
7/11/08 4:21 p.m.

The A/C in my Civic is cutting in and out. Any idea what would cause this?

I'm kind of thinking it's the compressor clutch but I'm not sure.

What all could cause this?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/11/08 4:27 p.m.

On my CRX it was the clutch. Remove the center bolt, remove shims, reinstall clutch, functional AC.

jwdmotorsports
7/11/08 4:29 p.m.

It's kind of a tight spot. How hard was it to get off?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/08 4:31 p.m.

1: Pressure switch

2: Wiring harness break

3: Compressor clutch coil

4: Low freon

jwdmotorsports
7/11/08 4:38 p.m.

Any idea where to look for the pressure switch and how to check it?

Freon level is good. I added freon and now instead of not coming on it cuts in and out.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
7/11/08 6:01 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: ....Freon level is good. I added freon and now instead of not coming on it cuts in and out.

Sounds like your problem. The pressure switches are usually high pressure switches (there are high and low also). If there is too much Freon, the pressure gets too high, the switch kills the clutch so there is no big boom.

Do you have any type of AC gauges? You would need to check the high side pressures. You might just want to bleed it down a bit if not (don't tell the EPA).

jwdmotorsports
7/11/08 8:15 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
jwdmotorsports wrote: ....Freon level is good. I added freon and now instead of not coming on it cuts in and out.
Sounds like your problem. The pressure switches are usually high pressure switches (there are high and low also). If there is too much Freon, the pressure gets too high, the switch kills the clutch so there is no big boom. Do you have any type of AC gauges? You would need to check the high side pressures. You might just want to bleed it down a bit if not (don't tell the EPA).

That was it. Thank you very much.

Bought a set of $15 AC gauges, let out about 15 psi, and now it works great.

jwdmotorsports
7/13/08 3:47 p.m.

I spoke too soon. It worked great for about a day and a half.

I went to the store today and it wasn't working. When I got to the store I checked the pressure. It was about 70psi. When I got hoe I checked again and it was at about 100psi.

Why would it be building up pressure?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
7/13/08 5:03 p.m.

A restriction in the orifice tube. Did you use the stuff with stop leak?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/08 6:50 p.m.

Distributors recently overtook AC systems as my most hated car part, but after reading this I'm not so sure...

jwdmotorsports
7/13/08 8:35 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: A restriction in the orifice tube. Did you use the stuff with stop leak?

No stop leak. Just freon.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
7/14/08 8:05 a.m.

What pressures are you quoting, high side or low side? Your pressures will vary with ambient temperature. You shouldn't charge based on pressure when the charge amount is known. Recover the refrigerant, put it under a deep vacuum for 15-30 minutes and chaarge it with the specified amount. Then see if it stiill cuts in and out. It sounds like you are most likely still overcharged. A high pressure switch shouldn't cut out until well above 300psi, and a low pressure switch should cut out somewhere below 20 psi. Here's the typical reasons for over cycling:

• under charge
  • over charge
  • evaporator coil freez-up
  • high pressure - over charge, condenser fan inoperable, blockage in refrigerant system, blockage on air side of condenser
  • defective thermostat

Of course there are other reasons, but these are pretty common. Hope this helps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EzJl8J9ZZArR0fTFO2B15R5utpGWdo8V4VCBUxfxivrr3y4MxJ3dDT36bMLZR7Qv