kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
7/24/14 8:40 p.m.

My '08 rav4 a/c just started acting up,if it hasn't been on for a long period it will blow cold for a few minutes(like 10 to 20 minutes it seems)then start to gradually warm up to ambient.Low side pressure is in the acceptable range it seems holding steady around 35psi so it would seem to be leak free.The compressor cycles properly as well during the entire time with no changes as it fails to cool.

Anyone have some pointers?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/24/14 8:44 p.m.

Coil is freezing up. Low freon? Might be the coil temp sensor or connectors between it and the AC computer.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
7/24/14 9:18 p.m.

Check your cabin air filter. Plugged filters is the usual cause of freezing evaporators.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
7/24/14 9:36 p.m.

Cabin filter is new,changed it myself about a month ago so I know its done(opposed to paying for it and the tech not bothering to take the 3 minutes)

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/14 9:40 p.m.

Are you 100% sure that the compressor clutch is engaging? I had the same problem on my wife's Acura and it ended up being the field coil that would act up when hot.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
7/24/14 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Slippery:

Dunno for sure I guess,I here it click and the engine revs and the auxillary fan ramps up.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/14 10:01 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla:

If you hear it click, then it's working. Just to make sure, when it stops cooling look at the pulley to see whether the clutch is working properly or not.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/25/14 2:36 p.m.

What is the high side pressure doing?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
7/25/14 8:13 p.m.
Vigo wrote: What is the high side pressure doing?

No idea as I only have one of the low side gauges from a diy recharge kit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GCaYxJqttzOuASzYZbyHpmITcAQ68wg30lQdlLhwNs93dj247rYcQwKVoMMKNzFB