1 2
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/24/11 10:16 a.m.

Link to BaT

Is this the one that was featured in GRM?

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
3/24/11 10:21 a.m.

I was just going to post about this -

anyone know who makes those seats? I don't think they are GTS Classics

PS Adam sold it to someone else in california a yr ago and they are selling it. Cool car

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/24/11 11:01 a.m.

I would punch a nun...make that several nuns, and sell organs to own that car. Awesomesauce...

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
3/24/11 11:06 a.m.

looks nice inside, guess that's what you get when you have an unlimited checkbook. and have experts in their field do the work you didn't want to do.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/24/11 11:10 a.m.
digdug18 wrote: looks nice inside, guess that's what you get when you have an unlimited checkbook. and have experts in their field do the work you didn't want to do.

Is that a jab at Carolla? He didn't build the car or have it built, he bought it already done. Nissan actually restored the car, somebody else did the engine swap and paint, and then Adam bought it because he saw it and thought it was cool.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/24/11 11:14 a.m.

The car was at last September's JCCS. This must have been the new owner.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
3/24/11 11:38 a.m.

I thought those had the twin plug motors in them?

RossD
RossD Dork
3/24/11 12:14 p.m.

Whats the nerd/dork engine code for that one in the picture?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/24/11 12:14 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
digdug18 wrote: looks nice inside, guess that's what you get when you have an unlimited checkbook. and have experts in their field do the work you didn't want to do.

Is that a jab at Carolla? He didn't build the car or have it built, he bought it already done. Nissan actually restored the car, somebody else did the engine swap and paint, and then Adam bought it because he saw it and thought it was cool.

I'm not sure if it was this car, but Adam has had the guys at Classic Datsun Motorsports build BRE cars for him. I don't see anything wrong with a busy guy writing a big check to have an expert build a car to his liking. If this wasn't common, we wouldn't have any specialty shops out there!

Sure it would be cooler to see him build it himself, but the guy is a comedian, not a professional car builder. I say more power to him for having the taste to commission cars like this.

more Datsun goodness: www.ClassicDatsun.com

dculberson
dculberson Reader
3/24/11 12:15 p.m.

Gorgeous.

On the seats, I like the look, but wouldn't want to actually own/drive a car with them. Lack of head restraint makes me sad.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/24/11 12:58 p.m.
RossD wrote: Whats the nerd/dork engine code for that one in the picture?

knee jerk guess is SR20DE. im on my cell and screen is too small to get a good look

imirk
imirk Reader
3/24/11 1:58 p.m.

If it is Adam's it is an FJ20

HunterJP
HunterJP Reader
3/24/11 2:09 p.m.

What wheels are those in the top picture?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/24/11 2:35 p.m.

In reply to imirk:

Ahhh, yes, indeed it is. On my phone, the screen is terrible, so I was just guessing. Knowing its a BRE, I shouldve expected it to be more period correct.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/24/11 3:14 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I would punch a nun...make that several nuns, and sell organs to own that car. Awesomesauce...

No need to go that far, the seller is asking $24k. About the price of a Civic Si.

I do not understand why people keep taking the air filters off their intakes to show the car. Dumb.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/24/11 3:36 p.m.

the first car and second appear to be different cars. The top one has flares and different wheels, probably 15's or 16's, while the second has no flares and 13's. The top appear to be Rotas, or at least look like them, the 13's maybe Pannasports?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/24/11 4:42 p.m.
Keith wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: I would punch a nun...make that several nuns, and sell organs to own that car. Awesomesauce...

No need to go that far, the seller is asking $24k. About the price of a Civic Si.

I do not understand why people keep taking the air filters off their intakes to show the car. Dumb.

I partied a lot in college....my organs arent worth what they used to be

Besides, with the way my finances are right now, $24k might as well be thirteenty-billion dollars. I still have no chance lol

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/24/11 5:10 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: the first car and second appear to be different cars. The top one has flares and different wheels, probably 15's or 16's, while the second has no flares and 13's. The top appear to be Rotas, or at least look like them, the 13's maybe Pannasports?

Same car. If you're not a believer, check the engine bay shot from the ad. Note the signatures. White paint in the sun will blow out enough detail to hide a set of flares. Wheels can be changed, the ad makes reference to them being changed at least once.

imirk
imirk Reader
3/24/11 5:32 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Besides, with the way my finances are right now, $24k might as well be thirteenty-billion dollars. I still have no chance lol

Well the prison sentence would be different if you stole it ...

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
3/24/11 7:21 p.m.

I'm sitting on enough money to make that happen but it's about half of my grad school tuition. I've been looking at NSXs lately somewhat seriously but this looks way cooler.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
3/25/11 9:05 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing:

Speeking of NSXs, I have seen 2 in the last week. You can tell the weather is getting warmer.

keethrax
keethrax Reader
3/25/11 9:47 a.m.
Keith wrote: Same car. If you're not a believer, check the engine bay shot from the ad. Note the signatures. White paint in the sun will blow out enough detail to hide a set of flares.

You can still see them in the one pic, but it's not easy.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/25/11 12:08 p.m.

When I got home from taking the pictures at JCCS - I found my magazine and compared the underhood signatures. Match. Here is the other side and you see there are flares.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
3/25/11 11:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
digdug18 wrote: looks nice inside, guess that's what you get when you have an unlimited checkbook. and have experts in their field do the work you didn't want to do.

Is that a jab at Carolla? He didn't build the car or have it built, he bought it already done. Nissan actually restored the car, somebody else did the engine swap and paint, and then Adam bought it because he saw it and thought it was cool.

No, just a jab at the people that farm out all their work. And I believe that he did have work done to the car if I remember correctly.

GlennS
GlennS Dork
3/26/11 11:57 a.m.

Adam participates in classic racing and i think hes racing his Bob Sharp 610 now. Probable got rid of the 510 because hes the type of guy who drives his cars. Whats the point in having 2 Datsun's for classic racing when you can only drive 1.

i think hes having it repainted as a cammel cig pace car, which is what it originaly was. The car was put together by Bob Sharp though.

1 2
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
llzYCw4uACDPBo1rMBiNAI6XiCv1bAvo