Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
8/10/12 2:23 p.m.

It has a rebuilt 1600 (not sure what year, but its older than the super beetle engines), with no oil filter. I have seen adapter plates for remote oil filters, or kits that come with a new oil pump with an adapter with a spin on filter, but from what I have heard there are clearance issues with the exhaust, etc. What would everyone here suggest? It just seems like a brand new engine would last a lot longer if it has an oil filter.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
8/10/12 2:37 p.m.

They seem to last okay in stock form, based upon the millions that were built.

Just change the oil regularly, and clean the screen every other oil change. Pop the valve cover springs and adjust the valves on the alternate oil change as well and it will be just fine.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
8/10/12 2:39 p.m.

Oh, and this...

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
8/10/12 3:31 p.m.

Cleaner oil and a little extra capacity is rarely a bad thing for an aircooled engine. Necessary? No, just nice to have. I'd look into a remote filter kit centered around an oil pump with outlets rather than one with the direct fit to filter, then you can mount the filter wherever you please.

And we want pictures of this Beetle. Bloody hell, now I have to go look at VWs again...

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
8/10/12 3:56 p.m.

This board is too annoying to post pics on, maybe I will put it in the readers rides later though. Right now it doesn't even run well enough to drive so I'm not sure how much I like it lol.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/10/12 3:59 p.m.

I love beetles. the 1600 is easy to work on. I had issues with my baja running right, but once I hooked the manifold heat back up and tuned the weber she runs pretty decent.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
8/10/12 4:27 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: They seem to last okay in stock form, based upon the millions that were built. Just change the oil regularly, and clean the screen every other oil change. Pop the valve cover springs and adjust the valves on the alternate oil change as well and it will be just fine.

bingo

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
8/10/12 4:44 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: It has a rebuilt 1600 (not sure what year, but its older than the super beetle engines), with no oil filter. I have seen adapter plates for remote oil filters, or kits that come with a new oil pump with an adapter with a spin on filter, but from what I have heard there are clearance issues with the exhaust, etc. What would everyone here suggest? It just seems like a brand new engine would last a lot longer if it has an oil filter.

The case has to be drilled and tapped for full flow (which being rebuilt, it might be, so check for a plug), then get the oil pump cover with a fitting on it and the filter mount and you're pretty much done. It's super easy IF the case has been machined for full flow.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/10/12 4:51 p.m.

From what I understand, do NOT buy one of those oil pump covers with the provision for using a spin on filter... I understand that those can lead to a reduction in available oil pressure.....

I don't have any proof of this.. Just one of those things you hear over the years...

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast
8/10/12 8:44 p.m.

I used to race 1/2 1600 buggies back in the mid 80's. This is the best way to go except you had to watch what filter you put on. We used the old HP1. Oberg, I believe, made and maybe still makes a remote filter that was made to be cleaned, like the K&N air filters today.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
8/10/12 8:46 p.m.

Also, as always, try and use braided lines. They look nicer and are much safer.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/10/12 8:52 p.m.
noddaz wrote: From what I understand, do NOT buy one of those oil pump covers with the provision for using a spin on filter... I understand that those can lead to a reduction in available oil pressure..... I don't have any proof of this.. Just one of those things you hear over the years...

Yes, this. They are not full flow filter setups like was previously posted and as the filter gets dirty they can restrict flow. The previous image and the advice for a full flow case is the only way to go.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1McMzjIyRMGusMI6AeLUcg9O0SjS5aowsVgpU7PbEZuHcBWWvVBASBJSk3BENgPw