car39
car39 HalfDork
10/5/12 4:21 p.m.

Have a 95 Miata NA that I run in CSP. I'm not trying to make it into a national contender, but I'm getting bored watching DVD's on the straightaways as I leisurely motor down the road. It's got a cold air kit, and a decent exhaust. but otherwise it's stock. Don't want forced induction, like the class I'm in, but looking for a little more snap out of the motor. Is 1 99 / 2000 head a good start? I know FM makes $6000 motors, but spending 150% of the purchase price of the car doesn't go very far. Ideas?

peter
peter HalfDork
10/5/12 4:32 p.m.

I forget the CSP rules, but if you're allowed to drop in a 2001-2005 motor, do that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/12 4:38 p.m.

Even just putting the 2001-05 bottom end in will bump your compression from 8.8:1 to 10:1. The VVT is an extra area of complexity to deal with, so mate that 2001-05 bottom end to a 1999-00 head.

Consider a replacement engine management system. They're usually worth 10-15 hp on their own and they'll let you take advantage of any mechanical changes you make. Heck, some of the fastest CSP cars are running E85.

A $6000 FM motor will not be legal for CSP, I don't think you're allowed anything but OE internals. So it would be less to build a CSP-legal motor.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
10/5/12 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

This.. sorta.

whole motors only, no head/block interchanges in street prepared. A 01-05 motor + E85 + ECU(Hydra or MS+VVTuner) should bring you pretty close to where you should be(160+ WHP). Supposedly a good header will go a long way too.

Have you worked on UD/BD to drop some weight out? Swap the dash, pull the top, etc. I'm sure there are a ton of other little things, but I don't know off the top of my head(ABS system? Diff? Brakes?).

I think the motor will make the biggest difference though.

Keith Tanner
10/5/12 5:05 p.m.

Ah, I'm not a CSP expert. I thought you could mix and match. If you have to keep the head matched to the bottom end, then I'd go with the 2001 and an ECU that can handle the VVT.

Bill Schenker drops by here once in a while to get his car tuned up, so we have a pretty good idea of what you need under the hood. And let me tell you, it's a high bar when it comes to detail work. His alternator, for example, is about the size of a beer can.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/5/12 5:29 p.m.

If you want more squirrels, why not call Tommy, I though he found a squirrel nest in the yellow car, maybe he can send it too you?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/12 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I think that was rats, and a big block is going to throw him into XP and ruin turn-in...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/5/12 5:35 p.m.
ransom wrote: In reply to Adrian_Thompson: I think that was rats, and a big block is going to throw him into XP and ruin turn-in...

How do you turbo a squirrel? Give it speed?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/12 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Not the reference I wanted to find, but pretty close.

Keith Tanner
10/5/12 5:58 p.m.

I have a mouse in my Miata. Or maybe it's "Mouse".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jenyf9fI5JhOIkimpxd26cC1oy6CIHieH7sJEtvEc3oIADxESzEFLKFw8kH259ud