1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/17/16 1:00 p.m.

OK, my Saab 900 project has been stalled for months due to life, family issues, grandchild, and illness. But the main issue to be honest is project malaise brought on by my inability to make it run. The whole long sage is here. The last real progress was almost a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5h2rT4YISo
That was after several months of fiddling with the electrics, changing just about everything in the ignition and vacuum system plus the ECU, fuel filter etc. etc. That vid had no exhaust at all.
After that vid It then sat for months, because life, until I installed the exhaust over xmas and guess what? Turn the key and no Bueno, churn churn churn no fire. At that point I closed the garage door and walked away. As I mentioned in the April 7th Holly GTG thread here I’m thinking of inviting those more intelligent than myself over with the lure of beer and pizza on Sunday April 10th even though it’s just a few days after the GTG. No one told me that I was a selfish shinny happy person for asking and a few even said they’d be interested. So, here’s the plan for anyone interested. First I’ll have to unbury the car and probably make a trip to the tip. I bought a set of dark blue velour seats to replace the knackered leather ones and just this morning I caught our male cat pissing on them so they are probably toast . I’d get the car out in the open and get my tools accessible. Order I’d want to tackle things if people come and help: 1. Move large 5x8 double glazed window outside that is currently between the car and the work bench making access to the bench and vice almost impossible 2. Diagnose why it won’t start. It’s either fuel or electrons and I’ve swapped most bits. I hope it comes down to something like ‘Oi, numbnuts, why isn’t this connected?’ 3. Finish up Exhaust mounting and alignment. 4. Create a battery tie down (plus optional heat shield) for gel cell battery so it doesn’t melt on the first right hand corner as it slides into the red hot turbo! 5. Test drive around the block 6. Fit hood, It’s solid Swedish steel and must weight 50 lb.’s 7. Fit inertia real seatbelts I have from an 86 (mid had rat trap belts) and rear trim panels 8. Add Carpet, front seats and door panels 9. Watch Adrian giggle like a school girl Obviously that’s a metric E36 M3 ton more than we are likely to get done in one day. If we complete step two I’ll be delighted. If we finish 5 I’ll be ecstatic.

So, anyone interested or can I go pound sand? If snow/wind/rainpocolypse happens on the 10th the 17th can be a backup date.

Beer fridge is being re-stocked. Both Buddy’s and Papa Joes are about 5 mins away.

I’ve got most basic tools, enough to run an IT car and probably melt a couple of bits of metal together if I can get the wire to feed in the Mig (only needed for battery hold down, maybe. I bought a new H.F. multi meter 18 months ago after my 30 year old Fluke gave up, but some of the LCD digits are fritzed already so if anyone has a multi meter handy that would be a good add for diagnosis.

So, anyone in?

See it was running at one point!

Storz
Storz Dork
3/17/16 1:04 p.m.

Dang, I would totally be in for this but we are down in NC both of those dates. If you push it back a bit I am happy to help. I can prob get my buddy Jeff to come as well, I am a good beer drinker, he is a better mechanic ;)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/16 1:06 p.m.

In. If I can't see my project through, maybe I can help with yours.

Adrian_Thompson
3/17/16 1:31 p.m.
Storz wrote: Dang, I would totally be in for this but we are down in NC both of those dates. If you push it back a bit I am happy to help. I can prob get my buddy Jeff to come as well, I am a good beer drinker, he is a better mechanic ;)

No worries, beer is always an option.

Is Jeff the guy you sent me the contact info for? If so I'm going to reach out to him.

Tom_Spangler wrote: In. If I can't see my project through, maybe I can help with yours.

Cheers Tom

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/17/16 1:36 p.m.

How many miles is it from NY to MI? Probably ideal Miata roadtrip length I would help if you were closer. And I had any Saaaaab knowledge.

Adrian_Thompson
3/17/16 1:39 p.m.

I'll wave as I head past you. I'll be in NYC April 2nd-6th and coming back over night.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/17/16 1:44 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'll wave as I head past you. I'll be in NYC April 2nd-6th and coming back over night.

NYC? I'm from the other 99% of the state that people forget exists. The area always just referred to as upstate.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/16 2:07 p.m.

in. I have no SAAB knowledge though. I'll volunteer to rig up the battery containment system.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
3/17/16 2:07 p.m.

Too bad I'm in AZ, I'd show up and help where I could for beer and pizza. My qualifications would be stretched thin just by fetching tools for y'all, but it would be a good time.

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
3/17/16 2:09 p.m.

SE Michigan is as close as it gets to Ohio, but I'm sadly on the South end of said state. Can't guarantee I'll be free that weekend anyway. I do have some Saab 900 experience, though. I also have experience working for pizza and beer.

If I had a cat like that, I'd have shot and cooked it.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/16 2:40 p.m.

I was wondering what was up with your C900! Sounds like what I need to get my multiple projects going again. Kind of the GRM version of that Velocity show.

I don't have my call schedule for the month yet, but I'd be interested in helping get someone else's C900 project up and running.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
3/17/16 2:44 p.m.

You are pretty close to me, so I can potentially help with #1 and otherwise provide moral support. I have made engines run before, but less in the capacity of a "good mechanic" and more of a "wow, that worked and we didn't even light ourselves on fire!" kind of capacity. Maybe I'd learn something.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/17/16 4:22 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Storz wrote: Dang, I would totally be in for this but we are down in NC both of those dates. If you push it back a bit I am happy to help. I can prob get my buddy Jeff to come as well, I am a good beer drinker, he is a better mechanic ;)
No worries, beer is always an option. Is Jeff the guy you sent me the contact info for? If so I'm going to reach out to him.
Tom_Spangler wrote: In. If I can't see my project through, maybe I can help with yours.
Cheers Tom

Nope, Jeff is my buddy that came to the brewpub. Peter is the dude who has teh Saab inventory that I work with.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/17/16 7:09 p.m.

Man I'd love this if it wasn't so far away. I still miss my old 97 900 turbo.

Edit 87 not 97. Bad whiskey, bad whiskey.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
3/17/16 9:52 p.m.

I'm actually going to be in SE MI this weekend. I also upon a time owned an '85 900S. Don't know that I can make it back up that soon, but you have my mental support.

Adrian_Thompson
3/18/16 8:02 a.m.

Cool, lots of support thanks guys

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/18/16 8:17 a.m.

Define SE MI?

I'm in Dayton. I don't know much about Saabs, in particular, but I've rebuilt almost everything else at one point, and I have all the other tools if you can think of what I might need to bring. I'll have to discuss this with SWMBO, but it could be a doable do.

Adrian_Thompson
3/18/16 8:39 a.m.
Egghead Racer wrote: Define SE MI?

Beverly hills, 20 mins NNW of down town Detroit.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
3/18/16 9:07 a.m.

Hmm, about a 4 hour trip for me.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/18/16 10:48 a.m.

I may be able to help at some point. I'm by no means a Saab expert, but I can usually muddle through most tasks.

Do you have a Bentley manual Adrian?

Adrian_Thompson
3/18/16 11:10 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I may be able to help at some point. I'm by no means a Saab expert, but I can usually muddle through most tasks. Do you have a Bentley manual Adrian?

Yup, a proper Bentley manual

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/18/16 11:14 a.m.

you cant use a Bentley manual on a Saab!!!

If you're wanting to help Adrian but cant make it due to lack of funds, PM me and I'll shoot ya some gas money as my contribution

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/18/16 2:25 p.m.

As a hammer it can be!

Edit: Adrian I sent you a PM

Hungary Bill wrote: you cant use a Bentley manual on a Saab!!! If you're wanting to help Adrian but cant make it due to lack of funds, PM me and I'll shoot ya some gas money as my contribution
Adrian_Thompson
3/30/16 9:18 a.m.

So it looks like we have: Tom Spangler Gearheadotaku - Jeff

Possible maybe’s:
griffin729 WilD

Now, happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me. I need to get the garage in shape so that I can work on stuff. My toolbox is over full and jammed in a corner so I need a mobile one I can get to where I’m working on stuff and actually find stuff and my 22 year old little Sears jack is crap. So the Birthday fairy (AKA Spousal unit, AKA SWMBO AKA Amy) let me head off to HF a bit early to start getting organized. The toolbox seems excellent quality for $169 and took me 2 hours to put together last night. Now to get organizing so a work party can actually happen!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/30/16 10:18 a.m.

Sounds like things are shaping up nicely- and happy berfday!

Please let me know if I can help from a distance.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KG9MvGhnKRRyMi12ohiwyTKg34HD6TmD9nOUwaoPH4Noa7Ot7eBdE6G7s7i8pEli