1 2
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/18 6:26 a.m.

Part of me is fascinated, part of me is sorry I started the thread.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/15/18 7:41 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I did start twitching a bit. If you're lucky all the customers did was fart. We had to have someone removed last week whose rearend was bleeding badly enough to leave a puddle. 

They really need to add a green "sick" smiley to the emoji options... frown

I would assume gutting the interior and trashing the seats anyway. Who cares what previous people did in them. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/15/18 7:46 a.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 8:01 a.m.

The seats in mine were spotless. CARTA had cleaned, serviced and filled it up before I picked it up. I was impressed. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
3/15/18 8:46 a.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 9:58 a.m.
Jaynen said:

Yeah Ambulances seem like an attractive entry point, I know they are used for off road RV conversions at times

https://www.racingjunk.com/Truck-Trailer-Combos/183019064/good-starter-rig.html?isNew=&photos=&distance=25&zip=&priceMin=&priceMax=&lengthOption=&makeOption=&sortby=price-lowest&userType=&categoryId=51&offset=3&from=category

This guy says its 10k for both was hauling his modified in it. Was supposed to send me interior pics

Wow, looks like a great deal from the outside.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

It's nothing a bit of bleach can't fix.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/15/18 3:16 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Jaynen said:

Yeah Ambulances seem like an attractive entry point, I know they are used for off road RV conversions at times

https://www.racingjunk.com/Truck-Trailer-Combos/183019064/good-starter-rig.html?isNew=&photos=&distance=25&zip=&priceMin=&priceMax=&lengthOption=&makeOption=&sortby=price-lowest&userType=&categoryId=51&offset=3&from=category

This guy says its 10k for both was hauling his modified in it. Was supposed to send me interior pics

Wow, looks like a great deal from the outside.

The pictures he sent me make it look pretty nice

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/15/18 3:16 p.m.

Seems like an incredible value for 10k for both

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/18 9:55 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Insurance companies will not insure a cutaway shuttle bus as a personal vehicle, so insurance is pretty steep. I'm paying around $800 a year liability only, for the shuttle bus. Install a bathroom, bed and a stove and have it retitled as a RV. that will cut the insurance by a bunch. I think SanFord costs me about $160 a year. 

I want to live where you live. With no tickets in 10 years, one minor fender bender (not my fault) and 7500 miles a year, I am $1000 every 6 months with my disco. Things are expensive in NJ!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/16/18 10:04 a.m.
mad_machine said:
Toyman01 said:

Insurance companies will not insure a cutaway shuttle bus as a personal vehicle, so insurance is pretty steep. I'm paying around $800 a year liability only, for the shuttle bus. Install a bathroom, bed and a stove and have it retitled as a RV. that will cut the insurance by a bunch. I think SanFord costs me about $160 a year. 

I want to live where you live. With no tickets in 10 years, one minor fender bender (not my fault) and 7500 miles a year, I am $1000 every 6 months with my disco. Things are expensive in NJ!

Yeah... not much better for me in SE PA. $1600/6 mos for my '03 TDI & '08 Grand Caravan (Min coverage) and the '06 MINI (full coverage).  And that's with various "good driver" and "home bundle" discounts. I haven't had an accident or ticket in ages. 

Jaynen - yeah... please buy that combo before I do... cheeky

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/16/18 11:41 a.m.

Let me know if you want his phone number :P

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/16/18 11:59 a.m.
mad_machine said:
Toyman01 said:

Insurance companies will not insure a cutaway shuttle bus as a personal vehicle, so insurance is pretty steep. I'm paying around $800 a year liability only, for the shuttle bus.

Insert floundery comment about socialized insurance costs here

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/18 1:00 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I'm 50. No tickets or at fault wrecks in 20 years. I insure 4 vehicles that mostly sit because my primary transportation is my work truck. My personal insurance should be cheap.

I think the shuttle bus insurance is over the top expensive. It gets used 15-20 times a year. So each trip costs me $40-$50 in insurance. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/18 1:10 p.m.

Y'all need to move to central PA.  Full coverage on the truck with $500 deductibles, liability on two other cars and one motorcycle costs me less than $500 every 6 months.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
3/17/18 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

I've also been considering this style of used ambulance for a tow vehicle. Either a 7.3 Ford or a Duramax Chevy/GMC. I just started looking about a week ago. This adds to my evil plans.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
7/25/20 9:54 a.m.

There is a local plumbing contractor who uses old ambulances for his trucks. He uses a font and style similar to what you would see on ambulances. I have never seen it but been told when he arrives for the plumbing job he turns on the emergency lights for a short time.

I will say, if you like family outings, a shuttle bus is hard to beat. 

We took a bunch of them with the out-laws, the in-laws and the grand kids. Several trips to state parks and museums. It was a lot of fun being able to pack everyone into one vehicle with picnic lunches and hit the road.

This is at the SC State Museum. 

It also tows well. 

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
7/25/20 9:47 p.m.

The company I used to work for supplied Dodge ProMaster high roof vans that were converted to all electric.  They would be OK as a portable office but better with the gas engine.  The big question is not how many times the seats have been farted in but how many times the van has been wrecked/nearly totaled.  Hotel shuttle drivers are the worst, we had several vans smashed up 3 or more times!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/20 10:50 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

We took a bunch of them with the out-laws, the in-laws and the grand kids. Several trips to state parks and museums. It was a lot of fun being able to pack everyone into one vehicle with picnic lunches and hit the road.

It also tows well. 

I could not ride in that without constantly checking my watch to make sure I won’t miss my flight.  Never had a relaxing moment in one.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
7/26/20 3:00 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

It also tows well. 

I could not ride in that without constantly checking my watch to make sure I won’t miss my flight.  Never had a relaxing moment in one.

Or being shoehorned in shoulder to shoulder with max people standing getting bounced around into those sitting. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/26/20 3:32 p.m.

We took almost all the seats out of ours and installed an RV dinette bed and two RV foldout couches. Was lovely for camping and cruising. Sitting at the dinette, eating lunch, cruise control at 80mph with the racecar behind. It was really lovely. Except the damn thing broke every time we took it out. Injector, alternator and CAS in three successive tows. Sigh. Stupid 7.3PS.

The ICBM(Idle Clatter Bus-Mobile)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vnshiwRgDaMZdKFZbUe2lUIO5l98i2PcGnnam2PLkIVlAEteItpNhpwSzP3qXJJd