RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
4/18/14 6:59 p.m.

My 1994 Alfa 164 was in an accident at some point before I owned it. The edges of the steering wheel behind the airbag cover looked like they were blown off. The airbag ECU was not responsive to a computer program I have that simulates a factory tester.

So, what should I do with it? Leave it be, get an aftermarket steering wheel, or find another factory wheel with a good airbag in it? If I choose the middle option I will probably have to swap the original steering wheel on for inspection. If I choose the latter option, I will need to get some unused sensors (easy to find) and possibly a new airbag ECU (not so easy to find) to go with it.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/18/14 7:20 p.m.

Back in the day I had a '92 Accord (first year they had airbags). I bumped a guy in traffic one day (no damage to either car) and the airbag went off. Me being a poor former college student, I pocketed the $500 that my insurance gave me to fix the airbag, and I closed up the pocket, bondo'd it, painted it black, and found some heavy-duty nylon fabric, stretched it around the airbag, secured it behind the bag, and bolted it back on.

Car passed inspection for the next 3-4 years before I traded it in. Guy never even noticed at the station. And yes, I did inform the place I traded it to that there was no airbag ;)

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
4/18/14 7:39 p.m.

I'd say time for one of these

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
4/18/14 7:52 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: I'd say time for one of these

Ooh, that steering wheel alone almost makes me want to buy an Alfa.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/19/14 6:04 a.m.

Used steering wheel with airbag is probably the easiest route. www.car-part.com should find you one. And if the bag isn't deployed, they will probably have the brain box to go with it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
4/19/14 9:56 a.m.

I am of the mind that if a street car came with airbags, I will use a steering wheel with an airbag. Now if it's mostly used for autox or track with occasional outings on the street I don't mind having no airbag.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aDp0KRKodYxk2y4mz4z4ZykR8aUY1wA7b6NarWxK6PvyO0eN4AD4ZZGUn6CWJO8o