1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/13 11:52 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: To me, the question is more if you want a scalpel or a hammer.
I want a hammer made out of scalpels.

I imagine that is better than scalpels made by a hammer

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/11/13 12:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The AE86 will easily be a better street car

Having owned both, this is only true if you never drive on the highway.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/11/13 4:03 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: The AE86 will easily be a better street car
Having owned both, this is only true if you never drive on the highway.

not true if you swap a 6 speed, and 3.9 final drive into the AE86....

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/11/13 4:16 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: Having owned both, this is only true if you never drive on the highway.
not true if you swap a 6 speed, and 3.9 final drive into the AE86....

Seems like a pretty heavy concession to make to gear it up that much, and I'm not sure what RWD 6-speeds are available to go behind a 4A-GE, other than an expensive custom-cased AZ6.

My SR5 had 3.90s, and it was still a screamer on the highway (not in the good way). It wasn't really happy cruising at anything above 65, and if you did so the mileage dropped from low-30s to high-20s. Meanwhile, I was able to knock down high-20s in my foxbody convertible cruising at 80 with the stock 2.73s and skinny tires (195s from an SN95 V6).

So, again, really depends on what streets you're driving on. Going to the grocery store I'd take the hachi, driving 2+ hours on the freeway, I'll take the Mustang.

arsine
arsine New Reader
2/11/13 8:06 p.m.

midniteson - if i found a good svo, i'd keep it for a collectible. i remember racing one in my g and not knowing what it was, had to look it up online when i got back to my office.

apexcarver - ideally, id like a white 94 or 95. the way i drive my g, im only getting like mid teens around town but i think the tune might a little too rich, i might be able to get better mileage in a gt. going from 19 to 17 tires will save me some cash, or at least get a gripier tire for the money

i'm pretty much looking to try something new. i've done 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and rotarys, now it's time to check off v8s.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/11/13 9:48 p.m.

I'll just leave this here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH_MBKZuRNs

love the sound of a well tuned 4AGE

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/12/13 6:45 a.m.
arsine wrote: i'm pretty much looking to try something new. i've done 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders and rotarys, now it's time to check off v8s.

Well there's your answer. I have had (and still do) lightweight momentum cars, and I've had (and still do) heavier V-8 powered vehicles. They both have their appeal, but if I could only have one... Well, I NEVER get out of my Mustang without a smile on my face.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mOlufgmV5g0RNsZPO5V0VPsLOk4BztlEKxps5B76NrRb1vs7FSJPEuyxWE0PYXpT