Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/6/19 9:00 a.m.
feature_image

Electric vehicles are becoming more and more of a part of our scene–check out our video on this Tesla Model 3 autocross car as one example–so it’s no surprise that the aftermarket is stepping up to support their modification. What is surprising? One company doing it: AEM, long known more for fire-spitting race cars than for thoughtful conservation, has …

Read the rest of the story

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
12/6/19 10:34 a.m.

Having had various EV/hybrid ideas, this is looking promising, I think I may be back to thinking about it a tad more seriously if I can ever come across a TL EV or Hybrid Camry/Optima...

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
12/6/19 11:30 a.m.

I wonder if this'll drop before the Axiom controller, or how it'll compare.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/6/19 11:55 a.m.

Oh hell yes. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/6/19 12:24 p.m.

yes

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
12/6/19 2:40 p.m.

Crap, this will make the decision concerning my next new (to me) car, all that much more difficult.  I had been leaning towards one of 2 ICE cars...and a Prius or Camry hybrid.

The Toyotas I am not in love with, as far as looks, but I want to be environmentally responsible.  And I can't quite afford the new(er) hybrid or electric cars.

Mojave
Mojave
12/6/19 3:49 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I wonder if this'll drop before the Axiom controller, or how it'll compare.

It's apples and oranges. The AEM VCUs are Vehicle controllers, where the Axiom is a Motor controller

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
12/6/19 7:58 p.m.

This just made me wonder if anyone has LS swapped a Tesla yet. 

Error404
Error404 Reader
12/6/19 8:41 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

You, I like you. The rage that would spew from that would be well worth it.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/7/19 10:27 a.m.

This has sent me down a road of research that is monetarily inconvenient. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
12/8/19 4:00 p.m.
Error404 said:
DirtyBird222 said:

If this is real, our prayers have been answered Tesla LS

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/19 4:08 p.m.

This really makes me want to hunt for a high mileage first gen Leaf to narrow the front of the body, and axles, and to make a ghettowing for non-competitive class at the challenge

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
12/8/19 6:26 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
Error404 said:
DirtyBird222 said:

If this is real, our prayers have been answered Tesla LS

Nobody could be mad at that thing. The TL;DR version is- it cost north of $100K, required all new frame strengthening, a custom aluminum floorpan, and at the end of the day is a wacky, heavy C5 corvette.

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
12/8/19 9:06 p.m.

Aww!  There is a bright shining light among the brain dead Coal Rollers... Kudos.

NOAH TEATES
NOAH TEATES GRM+ Member
12/9/19 12:43 p.m.

Can we please agree to stop calling the combination of rare-earth batteries and coal-fired electricity "environmentally responsible"?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
12/9/19 6:24 p.m.

^ this but it is likely to change at least to massive amounts of natural gas soon. Renewables would be nice. The cobalt is an issue.

It would be nice to tune something without having to worry about the EPA because it doesn't matter how many electrons cause emissions.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/9/19 7:32 p.m.
Paul_VR6 said:

It would be nice to tune something without having to worry about the EPA because it doesn't matter how many electrons cause emissions.

How does this actually work for a swap? I know Flyin Miata swaps all the emmisions stuff from the newer donor onto the recipient. If that is the rule, what does a Tesla have that is considered "required" for a legal swap onto an older chassis? Would a non OEM computer be OK? 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
12/9/19 7:41 p.m.

I only tune race cars, so I am not totally sure. I am thinking because there are no point emissions on a BEV there is no issue here from an EPA or CARB point of view.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q4HTo5Wfl4s19RBu3rmQGq9PajfwTXNfELDafFrZlQ9FcCJnOozXKYEFbFLvkqtk