1 2 3
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/30/15 3:06 p.m.

Check out the base model RSX. Aside from that I vote Cobalt or Ion. Everything else I wouldn't want to be stuck in for that many miles.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
9/30/15 3:49 p.m.

TDI.....too soon?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/30/15 5:46 p.m.

ZX2

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
9/30/15 6:18 p.m.

TDI seems like it could be a winner- the recent events make me more, rather than less attracted to the brand (seems very Yunick-esque, to me)- but everything I had to do on the wife's ex-New Beetle convinced me I have enough VW inflicted blood on my hands.

After thinking about the jobs I have or haven't had to do on past rides I thought for something that will be driven this much I would definitely prefer a timing chain to a belt. Not that belts are that terrible to do- just because they need doing.

I have narrowed it down to a short list, using preference along with pricing and availability in my area (SoCal):

Sentra SE-R RSX Cobalt

Of the 3, the 'Balt has the best mpg rating, not to mention the '09-10 transmissions can be had cheap for keeping revs down on the highway. RSX will probably have best interior, since I will be spending an hour and a half in it a day. I haven't been inside a Nissan for years, so that will require further investigation.

Again- thanks for all of the suggestions and feedback! I will try to see if I can check out a Protege and/or Focus, but I think I will concentrate my efforts on the three above.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/15 6:30 p.m.

Another vote for Mazda3. I have a 2009 5 door that I've owned since it was almost new. I love how it drives. I put some cheap Koni struts on it and some half decent Goodyears and it handles great. The only complaint I can muster is the 2.3 is a bit hoggish on fuel, but I love it's torque.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
9/30/15 6:47 p.m.

Another P-71 vote... I have one as a daily that I swapped a manual in. Commuting 30 miles a day back roads, I get 21 mpg. But, it is a really fun car, and dead simple to work on, not that much fails on them.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
9/30/15 11:25 p.m.

If I had an answer to your question, I would be driving it. That is some serious low cost motoring you propose.

I wonder what you consider reasonable maintenance cost/year on this plan?

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
9/30/15 11:55 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: That is some serious low cost motoring you propose. I wonder what you consider reasonable maintenance cost/year on this plan?

My thought would be around $800 or so. I tend to buy used tires super cheap. I may spring for some LRR tires for this ride though. At 35 mpg, and and current 3 bucks a gallon for gas I'm coming up with 12 cents per mile in fuel, tires, and repair. No payment, minimal depreciation, and then it's just liability insurance.

I'd probably do springs and sway bars to help the fun factor, but that would get spread over the life of the car.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/1/15 1:20 a.m.

00-01 Sentra SE still had the SR20. Little bit of a sleeper, tough as nails, fun to drive, not as quick as a Spec V but probably can be found cheaper and unmodified.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/15 8:13 a.m.

This 2003 comparison holds your answer:

Focus, Neon, Protege or Sentra. You can upgrade to SVT, SRT-4, MP3 or SE-R flavors. Throw in a Cobalt or Cobalt SS and you have your top 5 right there.

I would also consider a supercharged Buick Regal...

Sleeper package with decent grunt and pretty bulletproof. Not ideal for the autocross, but a good commuter. Or how about a Maxima?
Same basic idea, probably better mileage and reliability? If it were me, I'd go for the ultimate sleeper, the Honda Accord Sport:
You avoid the sports car tax, and this is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Plus you get Honda reliability and mileage.

Look for one with soccer mom stickers on the back shelf, avoid ones with Calvin peeing stickers.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/1/15 6:59 p.m.

The Pontiac Vibe is basically a Toyota Matrix, so that might also be something to consider at what will probably be a lower price point and they also had the option of the 2ZZ engine and 6 speed like in the Celica GT.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
10/1/15 7:22 p.m.

Dude, you need a Saab.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/1/15 7:46 p.m.

I found a '98 Neon coupe 5-speed with just over 100,000 miles and some issues local to me for $1,800. 29 mpg city and 41 mpg highway rating.

We may be relocating and my commute would go from about 8 miles each way to 35 miles each way so I've been looking for a similar vehicle, skewed a bit more toward mpg, though.

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
10/2/15 7:00 a.m.

I didn't realize the Duratec 2.3s in the Focus have a timing chain instead of a belt. That adds them back to the short list.

Combined with the facts that I can get the SVT suspension kit for $300 and I am finding Zx3s for less than 2K and I may be buying my second Ford! If nothing else, it could be an intermediate ride until I save a bit more and maybe pick up a Cobalt SS/SC or similar.

A Saab seems like it would be a more comfortable way to roll, and I know most of the parts are straight from the GM parts bin, but between premium gas and the added turbo components (with the corresponding chance of failure) I think I may hold off on that.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/15 9:37 a.m.

In reply to PistolRacer:

I think duratecs are pretty rare in the zx3s. dunno about that for sure, but that is the feeling i get. If you want true awesome, grab a focus wagon with the duratec, and add the SVT suspension (something something something about the rear wagon suspension being slightly different).

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/2/15 10:07 a.m.

The 2005+ Focuses all had Duratecs, most were 2.0L, but the ZX4 ST's got the 2.3L, which has a significant mpg penalty associated with it. I've got an 05 ZX3 as my winter car and its got plenty of power for any normal driving and it even handled track abuse very well the one weekend I took it. People who say that it doesn't have enough power to pass on 2 lane roads, merge or whatever aren't doing it right, as I live in an area with mostly 2 lane highways and can pass people with no trouble, it just takes proper technique and a little planning ahead.

I got mine because like you've found, they're an inexpensive car that's actually pretty decent.

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
10/3/15 12:12 a.m.

It sounds like most of the Focus that were sold in Cali in '03-04 had the Duratec due to its PZEV status. My best friend (and mechanic) is a Ford tech and gave me the thumbs up for pursuing Duratec Focus. He also +1ed the SVT suspension kit. Unless something awesome falls into my lap in the next month I think I'll be buying a Focus.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
10/3/15 12:47 a.m.

I loved my zx3 and will have another someday.

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic New Reader
10/3/15 2:26 a.m.

I'm a little surprised no one has commented on the OP suggestion of a civic HX. A civic HX with a EX transmission swap will usually outperform a civic EX, and doesn't greatly effect gas mileage. You won't find a car that's easier or cheaper to modify. (Today I picked up a complete rear disk swap for $75.) Pull the brakes and sway bars from a junked integra, and put on some decent aftermarket springs with new struts. This combined with some decent rubber is a lot of fun to drive, and will still yield 40+ on the highway.

I would steer clear of the 98-02 Accord V6's since they have transmission problems. The duratec focus is also a great idea and would definitely be faster out of the box.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
10/3/15 9:42 p.m.

I also second a Jetta TDI, the A4 (99-05) aren't affected by the emissions cheating. The biggest problem is that nobody buys them new, and the ones that do never sell them. They have also finally fallen in value.

They also handle better than any of the other choices mentioned, and are more fun when factoring in the diesel's torque.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/3/15 9:56 p.m.

That was also one of the worst eras for VW quality wasn't it? Windows falling into the doors at random times, lots of electrical issues, etc.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/3/15 9:57 p.m.

I don't see what the love is for the Focus, it's a vibrating penalty box to me. They are just so cheaply made and sound like they are going to fall apart. I want to like them because they are cheap and I like efficient, peppy little fwd cars, but every one I have been in has left a frown on my face. That being said, I hope you find one you like if that's what you choose to get! Hard to argue with the MPG.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
10/4/15 7:25 a.m.

If you can find one... Corolla XRS ?

PistolRacer
PistolRacer New Reader
10/25/15 11:36 a.m.

So I found a Focus and pulled the trigger. It's a 2007 ZX3 5 speed with the 2.0 Duratec. Suspension is bone stock and worn but coming from the Impala it feels like a go kart with AC. I wanted the 2.3 but I found the right deal on the 2.0 and the extra miles on each tank are probably worth sacrificing a bit of power. I had originally wanted to go for the SVT suspension kit but I know the 07 needs adapters. Hoping to do Springs and shocks (FRPP?) over Thanksgiving.

Thank you for all of the feedback and suggestions! The Focus wasn't really even on my radar and now I own one. As an aside, I found the seating position more comfortable on the Focus than on the Ion or Cobalt. The center console doesn't bump out as much.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/25/15 11:53 a.m.

Nice, the SVT suspension plus the Massive Speed System's "omni kit" or some other adapter kit is still probably a lot cheaper than any other spring/shock combo. Also, if you're getting any creaking/groaning, the top strut bearing and/or the front sway bar endlinks may be the culprit. Since I already had a rear sway bar on mine, which is the same as the SVT unit IIRC, and I had groaning, I went with the assembled suspension kit without the rear sway bar.

Ford also sells performance dampers for the 06-07, but not with the SVT springs.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5bNCOQBPjndGEmlWF6fado5o0l8hKsB1u0anvulasVovnXYaAoR7rTIBbiK8kXNs