1 2 3 4 5
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/13 2:28 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: And that has to be a joke right? No car company would be stupid enough to release something that ugly? Right? Please?

Have you seen anything Nissan has made in the last 6 years?!?

Also, yes, they are that dumb. RE: Renaming all Infiniti's "Q"

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/13 2:28 p.m.

I think they look fantastic and hope Nissan makes them.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/13 2:34 p.m.

sorry, styling falls into the "trying too hard" file

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/20/13 2:39 p.m.

Meh, I see a futuristic 510....

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
11/20/13 2:42 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Meh, I see a futuristic 510....

Which is why I love it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/20/13 2:43 p.m.

They had Peter Brock at the unveiling. Maybe they are serious about making this.......

FWIW, I like the looks. It reminds me of the simplistic aggression that most Datsuns had in the early 70's. I see a little 510, a little B210, and yeah, a little 1st Gen Toyota Celica.

This is the first Nissan in a while that I've liked the looks of.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
11/20/13 2:45 p.m.

I kind of like it, other than the fact that I have absolutely no use for it. I might enjoy watching other people buy it though.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/13 2:47 p.m.

They'll ruin it when they put the impact bumpers on it.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
11/20/13 2:49 p.m.

The two different variations in styling tells me that Nissan is at least trying.

I really don't think this will be the last we see of this concept, and just like the Subaru WRX concept ended up with a car that looks pretty much like the current model, I think we'll see another, more refined submission from Nissan in the next year or so.

I wish I had a better ability to draw because I'd love to play with the shape of this "IDx"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/20/13 2:50 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: They'll ruin it when they put the impact bumpers on it.

That right there is funny.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
11/20/13 2:55 p.m.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/20/13 3:04 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Tyler H wrote: They'll ruin it when they put the impact bumpers on it.
That right there is funny.

Indeed it is....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/20/13 3:23 p.m.

I like the look, and anyone that says they'd kick that race version out of bed is lying, but unless it's lightweight, RWD and has a real clutch they might as well write it off now.

Having owned an 88 Stanza, I'm still not sure I'd pay money for a Nissan though...

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
11/20/13 3:31 p.m.

there's a lot of win in the design. Those BRE versions look stellar.

I see 510 influence in a modern design.

I'll reserve judgement until actual drivetrain/transmission options are detailed.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
11/20/13 3:59 p.m.

Daddy Like.
Now just to wait for them to come out, then ten more years, THEN scour the earth for a clean example.

beans
beans HalfDork
11/20/13 4:56 p.m.

I won't be able to afford it until 15-20 years after it comes out and beaten to crap. Don't care.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/20/13 5:31 p.m.

I am extremely excited that Nissan is taking this step and I do like how this looks - I want my retro car to be more retro. Although I am not a big Dodge fan; I think the Challenger still looks great and always catches my eye. Why can't my future 510 be more retro?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/20/13 5:32 p.m.

I think the new car is TOO much Silvia and 200SX.....

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
11/20/13 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy:

That top photo is a Silvia? Nice, reminds me of a Lancia Fulvia a little.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/20/13 6:30 p.m.
codrus wrote: If it's an off-the-shelf CVT, does that mean it's FWD? I don't know of any CVT cars with longitudinal engines.

On this note, did you all notice that the brake calipers are towards the front of the rotors? This is the typical position on a FWD/transverse car.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
11/20/13 6:37 p.m.

I don't hate it. I think the front of the car is a bit too "heavy", but the rest isn't bad. It made me think if the 510 the first time I saw it, which isn't bad. I do not put in the same market as the BRZ, but much closer to the Fiat 500 and MINI shoppers. If it does only show up with a CVT, then it would be almost useless to anyone wanting to use it any other way than as the latest poser car.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/20/13 6:46 p.m.

I saw the picture in the Frisbee post and agree with TJ's assessment. First thing I thought of was a first gen Celica. Funny that Nissan would do a retro Toyota...might be one way to save Nissan.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
11/20/13 7:10 p.m.

I swear I've seen that car on SEGA's "Hard Drivin."

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/20/13 7:16 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to Datsun310Guy: That top photo is a Silvia? Nice, reminds me of a Lancia Fulvia a little.

yes, it was made in small numbers - a lot of my 1966 Datsun Roadster parts seemed to carry over to this Silvia.

wiki The Nissan Silvia CSP311 made its public debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in September 1964 as the "Datsun Coupe 1500". The introductory model was a hand-built coupe based on the Fairlady convertible, styled with input from Count Albrecht Goertz. The CSP311 was powered by the 96 hp 1.6 L Nissan R series engine. The engine was equipped with twin SU carburetors. Production ceased in 1968 after a mere 554 were made (mainly in 1965), every one unique with hand-formed body panels. Most of the cars remained in Japan; however, 49 examples were exported to Australia and another 10 went to other countries. The low production numbers and tedious method of construction assured each car was unique and valuable; this is reflected by the car's purchase price of almost twice as much as the next model in the manufacturer's lineup at the time. After production ceased in 1968, the name Silvia would not grace another Nissan until 1974. Its marketing approach was similar to the Isuzu 117 Coupé.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
11/20/13 7:40 p.m.

I can't stand the front end. It's too busy. It reminds me of a quad-headlamp Peugeot 505 rendered by a Playstation 1.

The rest of the car looks pretty good, though. A 1.5L might not be so bad depending on weight. Why not the 1.6L turbo from the Puke.. err.. Juke? CVT = FAIL.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e7PIEGd5xxfdWD1q8wcLvrItQcRfqM1Rou6DcoYRpHh73mKIjI5VNWE9KMlsLw4j