1 2
amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/2/12 12:07 a.m.

Keep the Miata.

I've driven those Mercedes. Nothing to look forward to really.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
7/2/12 12:12 a.m.

You could always swap in a 2JZ or 1JZ if you didn't like the diesel.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
7/2/12 2:03 a.m.
WhiteLX wrote: You could always swap in a 2JZ or 1JZ if you didn't like the diesel.

Colour me practical, but why? Less torque, same weight as an iron block SBC.

Besides....Cummins!

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
7/2/12 2:54 a.m.
ScottRA21 wrote:
WhiteLX wrote: You could always swap in a 2JZ or 1JZ if you didn't like the diesel.
Colour me practical, but why? Less torque, same weight as an iron block SBC. Besides....Cummins!

Maybe I should complete the rest of the engine code for the uniformed, but I didn't think I'd have to here. I figured most here would understand I was referring to the turbo variant.

Why even bother with a SBC when LS based truck engines are so much less expensive and make more power stock for stock.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
7/2/12 6:47 a.m.

Normally I'd say go for it, but I've seen the car run, and it's an unfinished project. It OOZES cool while you're in the parking lot, but from what I could observe at the drift event it had driveability issues.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/2/12 7:55 a.m.

DO IT!!!!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/2/12 8:55 a.m.

Why all the fear about running a welded diff? I know a lot of guys that do it in hachis and S-chassis cars, and the only time you even notice it is tight turns in parking lots.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/2/12 9:00 a.m.

Late to the puch, but do eeet.

My next build is a Volvo wagon and if it wasn't going to be a mommy mobile, it would be a drifter.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/2/12 10:15 a.m.

One step closer. I talked to the guy yesterday evening about trading for the Miata. He didn't say no. Now I'm starting to wonder about the real issues: Does it have compression? How many miles? Leaks aplenty? Really, is it an awful idea?

We'll see.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/2/12 10:21 a.m.

If parts are broke, fix it. Personally, I'd be prepping for a V8 or JDM swap. The risks we take.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/2/12 10:41 a.m.

Hmmm. A newer GM truck engine + T56 does sound like a perfect answer to a problem I don't (yet) have.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/2/12 10:44 a.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Hmmm. A newer GM truck engine + T56 does sound like a perfect answer to a problem I don't (yet) have.

Why? Those Mercedes diesels can hold serious power. And the motor has already been modded.

But if you really are determined to swap away from the engine in it, you should sell me the motor in the car.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/2/12 10:48 a.m.

Of course you should do it, it is completely nuts.

Step #1---- buy a reliable beater you can actually drive while the Benz is under repair.

Using this car as a fun freakshow would be great.........relying on it to use as an actual car would be silly, expensive, and frustrating.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
7/2/12 11:20 a.m.

It sounds like it would be uber cool, but one image keeps coming to my mind....

Luke
Luke UberDork
7/3/12 4:42 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Of course you should do it, it is completely nuts. Step #1---- buy a reliable beater you can actually drive while the Benz is under repair.

Hey, know what would make a reliable beater? ...an old diesel W123!

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/3/12 7:03 a.m.
Every Mercedes 300TD/SD I've driven had turbo lag you could measure on a calendar. How bad would compound turbos make that?

Less bad, actually. Compound turbos let you run a smaller, faster spooling turbo than you normally would because the bigger turbo effectively raises its airflow constraints by feeding air to it at a higher pressure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iKwQXYqY3R2nrU7A2FqB7p00Y3W1rFkDDEpfC95Pm6WyJOV7zJbtFPy7cPddtHXd