David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/16/17 10:07 a.m.

No Photoshop. No George Lucas movie I magic. Just a little airtime. “It’s my C6 Corvette track car with four wheels off the ground over ‘the jump’ at Grattan,” writes Matt Brooke. “The car is a 2005 Corvette Z51, gutted and caged for HPDE events where I instruct with a group called 3 Balls Racing out of the Detroit area. …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/17 10:13 a.m.

And the awesome award for November goes to...

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
11/16/17 10:23 a.m.

The picture doesn't show that about 100 feet after landing is the beginning of the Esses leading up to the toilet bowl.   Many a pucker moment as my tires chirped on landing.

That is more air than I have seen anyone get off of that jump, seriously impressive.

My avatar is just before the jump, coming out of four. 

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
11/16/17 11:14 a.m.

All I hear is Doc Brown

”where we’re going we don’t need roads”

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
11/16/17 11:26 a.m.

Some folks get a lot of air at "the Jump" at the Weatherly Hillclimb...

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
11/16/17 11:54 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Even my Miata feels like it's pulling air there, but it might just be at full droop.  Either way, waiting to "land" in order to use the brakes requires . . . intestinal fortitude. 

Scooter70
Scooter70 None
11/16/17 12:06 p.m.

Thanks again for sharing the photo David.  

For those wondering, the landing is very soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6E2YyMarNc

-Matt

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
11/16/17 2:08 p.m.

That is and looks SOOOO much faster than the 1:36 that I can muster in the old 5.0.  You appear to run a much smoother line.  

I can't wait to get my real shocks on to see if it helps my confidence and lap times.

Who misses the dip on the inside before the front straight, that used to be good for some seriously stuffed tire and subsequent drift action.  I personally don't miss it, neither does my left front tire that would rub way too far up in the fender.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
11/16/17 2:10 p.m.

I think a GRM meetup at Grattan is in order next year.  It's not that far from Canukistan for our northern neighbors.

Scooter70
Scooter70 New Reader
11/16/17 3:58 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I think a GRM meetup at Grattan is in order next year.  It's not that far from Canukistan for our northern neighbors.

tony kozlowicz

Let's make it happen at one of our events.  We have 4 weekends at Grattan in 2018.  

The schedule is already posted at www.3ballsracing.com.

jbrizz99
jbrizz99 New Reader
11/20/17 2:40 p.m.

I saw the photo and immediately thought "the jump at Grattan".  Raced there in a Kart, my only National Level win actually. 

Want to get back there for a track day sometime in my Miata!  I did do a track day with 3 Balls at Mid Ohio a couple of years ago.  Had a great time!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lF1TN0qq4X6ywg9MFKmftt9CZ5xCr8H1cRf090oyvuMRUU9M54clr3cktoLrtLmg