Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/31/17 11:51 a.m.

I think (haha) that I have 2 cars now equipped with almost everything they need for functioning AC, but alas the systems are not working.

I have never ventured into the world of repairing AC systems, so I am low on knowledge, tools, and experience.

So, is it all about replacing o-rings, pulling a vacuum on the system, waiting to check for leaks, and then filling the system with the right amount of refrigerant. and from there any issues are either mechanical (compressor clutch) or electrical (various).

Do I have that right? What tools will I need to get this done in my own garage? vacuum pump? manifold and gauges?

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
3/31/17 12:09 p.m.

You can recharge the system with said vacuum pump and guages. Run the vacuum pump on the system for at least 15-20 minutes. Watch the gauges and listen for an obvious leak. After vacuum close both sides of the gauge. Attach the bottle of refrigerant to the middle hose of the gauge set and open the low side. Start the engine and turn on your A/C to max cold. Allow the system to pull in enough refrigerant that your high side gauge reads in the neighborhood of 150-175 psi. Close the low side and make sure that the low side pressure drops to about 30-25 psi. Unhook the gauges and you're done. That's the driveway method of recharging an A/C system.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/31/17 12:32 p.m.

You can also add a UV dye to the system before charging it. If the charge leaks out, go at it with a black light bulb screwed into your hand-held work light at night, you'll find bright green dribbles on the leaky part. In my case it was just a hose with a bad crimp, so I took it to the local hose and fitting shop to get a new one crimped on for like 20 bucks. Reinstall and repeat vacuum and charge process. Even easier if its just an o-ring.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
3/31/17 4:55 p.m.

I like air conditioning. I bought a new Datsun when I was 18 and I passed on the air conditioning to save $500 - it wasn't a big deal to me. Today? Ha!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/17 6:46 p.m.

I used to care not for A/C, now even my Challenge car has it...

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
3/31/17 6:59 p.m.

Ha! Agreed. My challenge car will most likely retain full A/C function. Either it's too hot or I'm too old. I don't care either way I want A/C.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/17 7:58 p.m.

I specifically got my latest RX-7 because it still had an intact A/C system. And my progress on my Quantum has stalled in part because the A/C was removed in order for turbo encabulation and the prospect of a summer only non A/C car has me unthrilled.

A/C is really simple. If'n it don't leak, and it's not underfilled OR OVERFILLED, and the switches and the cooling fans are working, the compressor turns and it makes the inside of the car cold.

Never, ever, ever use parts store refrigerant with sealant in it. That stuff should be banned, IMO. A/C sealant will destroy an A/C machine, which are running in the $10-20k range nowadays for a decent one, and it doesn't do a damned thing for lines that are corroded through or blown compressor shaft seals.

Knurled
3/31/17 8:02 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote: You can also add a UV dye to the system before charging it. If the charge leaks out, go at it with a black light bulb screwed into your hand-held work light at night, you'll find bright green dribbles on the leaky part.

You don't even need the UV light. A/C leaks look like the Predator was bleeding all over your car.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
3/31/17 8:49 p.m.

I read a click-bait article about the Dodge Demon using a/c to get more powah out of the engine. Something apparently Ford experimented with a while ago. I'm too lazy to go search for the article. Sounded neat. Acted kinda like NOS apparently or something.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/1/17 6:17 p.m.

When I was young and even in Texas, windows down, vent wings swung around was "cool".

Now we don't have vent wings so AC is a must.

Raise your hand if you remember vent wings.

Knurled
4/1/17 6:34 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

Wing windows were just a cheap way for the automakers to make simple door glass. Then some doofus decided it'd be a good idea to put them on a pivot, to make it easy for people to break into your car I guess.

One of the Fords (the '76 T-bird) I had was equipped with the goofiest idea ever - SLIDING wing windows. The little window slid down and then the main window did. Some Town Cars had this feature up into at least the early 90s. Basically it did nothing but make you have to wait that much longer to get the window down.

I never did find out what kind of mechanism they used, if it was two separate motors and a limit switch, or some really artful regulator mechanism and one motor. I never saw one fail, so it must have at least been well-engineered.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/1/17 6:48 p.m.

Electronic sniffers that supposedly work well have gotten cheap enough (well under $100, as low as $20 on ebay) that I'm not sure if I'd bother messing with dye now.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/1/17 8:26 p.m.

So, would the harbor freight options for tools work here?

Looking at the manifold gauge set and vacuum pump.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
4/1/17 8:56 p.m.

As stated already, you need to charge it and see what you've got. AutoZone will rent you (free of charge) a vacuum pump and manifold set. Assuming you can pull a reasonable vacuum that holds when you close both valves, charge it up using the above methods and see what happens. And yeah...Unless it's my track only car, anything I drive has functioning creature comforts like HVAC.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
4/1/17 9:18 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HRP5HfEETnYS4QvhhYSmKVrfoRtX9b0f0tPci4MB3W4VbKg1gyE41mNQsTj66ufY