1 2 3
turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
4/27/19 8:38 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:
docwyte said:

In reply to turtl631 :

I'm hearing rumblings that the next gen M3. Especially if I can still get a 6MT.

Won’t happen  

Yea, rumor mill says AWD+auto, or RWD with auto and manual options.  No AWD manual.  But who knows.  

I enjoy that it's rwd and putting power down is a little dicey.  Keeps it exciting.  These things do close to 500whp with a tune and spool fast.  For an automatic big sedan, it's a pretty entertaining daily driver.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/19 4:31 p.m.

I just saw that the guy that lives down the street from me that owns a 18 STI, Last gen WRX hatch, and a Hawkeye WRX sedan. just got a Giulia Quadrifoglio as his work car. idk if it is a lease or not but his last work car was a 18 4 door 4wd F250

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
4/28/19 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

They said the same thing about the M5 never being awd.  They said the same thing about BMW never having turbo motors.  Never say never.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
4/28/19 5:10 p.m.
docwyte said:

They said the same thing about the M5 never being awd.  They said the same thing about BMW never having turbo motors.  Never say never.

I think the "won't happen" part was more aimed at the 6MT than the AWD, considering BMW's recent trends. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
4/29/19 8:50 a.m.
rslifkin said

I think the "won't happen" part was more aimed at the 6MT than the AWD, considering BMW's recent trends. 

Very possible but BMW has done a good job of keeping the 6MT option available in the M2/3/4.  I suppose we'll see, I need an awd vehicle for my DD/ski machine and would like a 6MT.  I'd really like a hatchback or wagon but if I have to get a sedan an M3 is at the top of the list.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/29/19 9:05 a.m.
docwyte said:

When did they say that about turbo motors? The old 745i from the 80s had a turbo engine.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
4/29/19 10:10 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That's not an M car.  They said for many years that the M cars would only be NA, rwd.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
4/29/19 10:42 a.m.

I saw Route 66 mentioned earlier in the thread, and just so you are aware there is an EXCLUSIONARY list of makes/cars for those extended warranty policies.

Want to guess what is on there??? crying

It used to be posted on PenFed's website as I referenced it often, but I can't seem to find the link to the PDF now. It lists things like 8-series BMWs, anything "M" or "AMG", and then Alfa, Maserati, etc.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
4/29/19 10:57 a.m.
Toebra said:

Doesn't Fiat own Alfa?  Fiats hold their value like a pumpkin in November, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Haha.  That's a great expression . 

FWIW I'm not trying to imply that these will hold value or appreciate, more that they're likely to keep dropping given everybody seems scared of them as unreliable, and the general car buying public is moving away from sedans.  They'll likely reach a point where I would strongly consider pulling the trigger, and they enter the realm of DIY repairs and forum support.  ...and/or buy with warranty as those above suggested.  .  

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/2/19 4:52 p.m.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/?src=socialflowFBCAD&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&utm_medium=social-media&fbclid=IwAR3MVe4b7jMO8Esv_K58p2SdGC4OVePElZsRoxHrhcLNEudSRX7GsNaA5-I

Car & Driver just posted another update on their Giulia. Apparently its continued to have a number of electronic freakouts, to the point where they have nearly become desensitized by it

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/19 5:41 p.m.

A coworker of mine just bought a leftover new one.  He paid something less then 20k off msrp out the door.  He said it's nuts.  After break-in I get to drive it to lunch sometime.  I'm excited.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Let us know how you like it: I'm still waiting for several dealers to get back to me with prices on a some TI Sports, but the prices for the leftover 17s/18s are very tempting these days.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/2/19 6:08 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Given your vehicular luck and the fact you live out in BFE, I can't believe you'd even consider buying an Alfa.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/2/19 6:11 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Wow, that's a pretty harsh reality.  It's rare that they come out and say to not buy a car at all.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/2/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Wow, I totally skimmed over that last line. Ouch.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/3/19 5:48 a.m.
STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/3/19 6:26 a.m.

They paid $49 apiece for sprak plugs?! LOL

BoxheadTim
5/3/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I figured that given my inverse Midas touch, the two negatives would likely cancel each other out. Not my first rodeo with Alfas either.

OTOH if the dealers can’t be bothered to get in touch, I can’t be bothered to give them my money. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/3/19 9:43 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

On their long term cars all the maintenance gets done at the dealer, for dealer prices.  That gives a baseline, on a new car, that's under warranty, for good or bad.  Obviously spark plugs can be purchased for far less money.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/3/19 9:44 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Hmm, think that's wishful thinking there.  If you do end up with one, lease it!  That way at least you're not totally stuck with the POS.

BoxheadTim
5/3/19 9:58 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

That’s the plan with any FCA product. Lease it for three years, and if it behaved and the residual is at or below it’s value, consider buying it. Otherwise, Sayonara.

It has been argued that when it comes to cars, I may be running more on “Wishful” than “Thinking”, but that shouldn’t be news to anybody on here. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/3/19 10:39 a.m.

So... what about the non-Quadrifoglio Tis?  These things are still paddling my canoe.  And I'm starting to see a few more on the street.

BoxheadTim
5/3/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

From what I hear, they’re generally more reliable and less high strung. The four pot feels a bit generic turbo four pot and not very Italian, but they certainly move along quite nicely. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/3/19 1:03 p.m.
Duke said:

So... what about the non-Quadrifoglio Tis?  These things are still paddling my canoe.  And I'm starting to see a few more on the street.

I know this makes me a snob, but it's like buying the EcoBoost when you could have the Coyote.

BoxheadTim
5/3/19 1:44 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

You can’t get the QV with AWD, if that is important to you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DxdSWmFIwIcLRv22JOblB0zYaONR1Dx41XfKeDxVYr8zRjl4oHApIVUbQkD0IDIx