1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/3/19 2:04 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Duke said:

So... what about the non-Quadrifoglio Tis?  These things are still paddling my canoe.  And I'm starting to see a few more on the street.

I know this makes me a snob, but it's like buying the EcoBoost when you could have the Coyote.

OK, but it's also $15-20,000 less money, so it's not exactly like I "could have the Coyote".  For the extra $15,000 I would rather have a whole second toy car, or completely refurbish the Manic Miata.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/19 3:49 p.m.

If the Ti could be had with a stick shift I would totally go that route, but if I am stuck with a auto either way then it has to be a Quad in my mind.  I am still crying over the fact that I got to see a Quad with a manual at the NAAS the first year Alfa showed them and then they said never mind..

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/3/19 4:05 p.m.
Duke said:
z31maniac said:
Duke said:

So... what about the non-Quadrifoglio Tis?  These things are still paddling my canoe.  And I'm starting to see a few more on the street.

I know this makes me a snob, but it's like buying the EcoBoost when you could have the Coyote.

OK, but it's also $15-20,000 less money, so it's not exactly like I "could have the Coyote".  For the extra $15,000 I would rather have a whole second toy car, or completely refurbish the Manic Miata.

Duke, brochacho, I'm with you 100%. But when it comes to this Alfa, I'd only be interested in the full beans one. But not only can I not justify an $80k vehicle, I wouldn't want the maintenance headache either. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/3/19 5:22 p.m.

from c&d It's sad that electronic freakouts and service woes have come to dominate our time with the Giulia. When it's working properly, it's such a pleasure to drive. It's the most rewarding and thrilling sedan on the market today. But it's wearing us down, and we can't in good conscience recommend that anyone buy one. Leasing could be another story.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/3/19 8:28 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I don't want to deal with a maintenance headache at any price.  I buy cars under warranty so I can drive them and enjoy them.  If I'm constantly taking them to the dealer for service, that's a problem.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/3/19 10:23 p.m.
Toebra said:

Doesn't Fiat own Alfa?  Fiats hold their value like a pumpkin in November, so maybe that has something to do with it.

They also own Jeep.  Priced a used Wrangler?  November pumpkins don’t come to mind.  

A 401 CJ
5/3/19 10:35 p.m.
CobraSpdRH said:

I saw Route 66 mentioned earlier in the thread, and just so you are aware there is an EXCLUSIONARY list of makes/cars for those extended warranty policies.

Want to guess what is on there??? crying

It used to be posted on PenFed's website as I referenced it often, but I can't seem to find the link to the PDF now. It lists things like 8-series BMWs, anything "M" or "AMG", and then Alfa, Maserati, etc.

Not that it matters much but I wonder if their reasoning might be that there just aren’t enough data points on those to set the actuarial tables.

A 401 CJ
5/3/19 11:08 p.m.

Someone mentioned that one of the engine options was “not very Italian...”.  You do need to realize that in its native environment (Italia :-)), 99 out of 100 of these Giulias will be diesels with manual transmissions (although autos are gaining ground at an alarming rate).  But that won’t stop them from being driven in a very Italian way.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/4/19 8:20 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to z31maniac :

You can’t get the QV with AWD, if that is important to you.

You can if you buy the Stelvio QV instead of the Giulia QV. Think of it as a high riding, AWD, Ferrari derived hatchback. It weighs a bit more than the Giulia QV but it's quicker in 0-60, 0-100, and the 1/4.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/19 4:59 p.m.

Ooops.

Errr.

I guess all y'all can start laughing now.

BoxheadTim
5/9/19 5:01 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Yeah, I was eyeing one. I'm just not an SUV guy. Especially not an 85k SUV guy.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/9/19 7:00 p.m.
irish44j said:

I wonder if this car will be the next Biturbo a decade from now.....except with more expensive electrical stuff to go wrong

This.  I said when it first came out it is more of a spiritual successor to the BiTrouble than the Ghibli is.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/9/19 9:33 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Ooops.

Errr.

I guess all y'all can start laughing now.

Did you get one?!?

BoxheadTim
5/10/19 3:41 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

<small voice>

i might be picking one up on Saturday.

</small voice>

Not a Quadrofoglio, though, just the four banger version. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 8:37 a.m.

Ooooh!  Ooooh!   Ooooooh!  Awesome!  Let us know what you think!

What time level?  AWD?

I've got the itch for a new car too, and I think I need to either decide on the Giulia or put them out of my mind.  There's a leftover 2017 V60 R-design that is calling me like a siren...

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/10/19 8:41 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Wow, you're just a huge glutton for punishment, aren't you?  Good luck!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/19 8:55 a.m.

POS or not, I want one in the worst way.

BoxheadTim
5/10/19 9:24 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Wow, you're just a huge glutton for punishment, aren't you?  Good luck!

Well, it's been long suspected that I answered the following question with "Yes" once too often:

At least it's a lease so worst case there's an end in sight. And if it works out I can write a check for the residual at the end of the lease.

BoxheadTim
5/10/19 9:33 a.m.
Duke said:

Ooooh!  Ooooh!   Ooooooh!  Awesome!  Let us know what you think!

What time level?  AWD?

TI Sport AWD with the performance pack. The latter was really important to me (only way to get an LSD) and those surprisingly aren't that easy to find unless you want to special order one. Which I didn't want to risk because I don't think the E34 would last that many months without throwing even more money at it.

I got what I think is a pretty reasonable deal - a good $9k off MSRP without too much haggling. One of the advantages of Cargurus that allows you find cars that have been sitting on a dealer lot for a while. Not my favourite colour - that would've been the pearl white - but it's a nice subdued colour and has the awesome red/black interior.

I've got the itch for a new car too, and I think I need to either decide on the Giulia or put them out of my mind.  There's a leftover 2017 V60 R-design that is calling me like a siren...

I'd say a Volvo would probably be the more sensible choice. With a Giulia I'd go at least 2018 and make sure it's got the upgrade HU for Carplay/Android Auto. There was a hardware change to enable that for 2018, but IIRC the early ones still require a firmware update to enable the feature even if it has the upgrade HU.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 10:14 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

That's just about exactly the Giulia I had in mind.  Glad to hear there are some deals to be had!  I hope it is awesome for you.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
5/10/19 1:56 p.m.

My friends dad owns a Quadrifoglio and let me drive it. Epic. Wonderful sounds, ridiculous speed, and it can be driven like a commuter car as well. 

We were giving him a hard time because all the autoblogs receintly bashed it saying they would not touch one at any price. He replied "so they gave it car of the year and now are saying this?"

It's not for everyone but it sure is a terrific driver. 

I have also driven the stelvio 2.0 - it left me whith a meh feeling. 

BoxheadTim
5/10/19 3:21 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

I've not driven a Stelvio, so I can't comment on that. I have driven several Giulia TIs and like them. I purposely did not drive a QV Giulia because I knew that it would very likely trigger a Pavlovian reaction and I would end up with a huge lease payment.

Basically if you're shopping for a BMW 330i you shouldn't start the shopping spree by driving an M3. Same thing applies to the Alfas. And I'm pretty sure that the 2.0 is good enough for a commuter penalty box with some pizzazz.

That said, the exhaust note on the 2.0 is, well, lacking. Despite this being a lease (at least initially), I might one day wake up and find that it has a Remus axle back installed just to do something about the exhaust note.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/19 6:11 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
7/27/19 8:18 p.m.
BoxheadTim
7/28/19 9:04 a.m.
psteav said:

Tim, how's it look a couple of months in?  Is the shine off the apple yet?

Just updated my "talk me down/enable me thread". So far, so good.

2.0's with low miles have fallen under the 20k mark.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=505521170&zip=65301&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D65301%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3DALFAGIULIA%26makeCodeList%3DALFA%26searchRadius%3D0&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=ALFAGIULIA&makeCodeList=ALFA&searchRadius=0&clickType=spotlight

Thankfully I just bought a truck, so I can't go making a mistake like that for a bit.

I'd skip the really early ones, even if it's just for the improvements in the entertainment system and some other minor improvements. The usual "never fly an A model of anything".

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EbZA5NUVLOdR70lJQeHwfdivudBl3Eo5MQyLt1fUUikNM3dgpBxpLZ8DmLzDiTCG