1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 12:16 a.m.

We have not had a vs thread in a bit.. so I thought I would throw this one out there. We saw how the 124 spider did against the MGB.. let's see how it does against it's italian sister.

The Alfa 105 Series Spider:

Born in 1966 with production ending in 1990, the Alfa Spider is one of the longest lived and one of the most distinctive looking Sports cars every built. Like the Fiat 124 Spider, it was availible Twin Cam engines ranging from a 1.6 to a 2.0, backed with either a buttery smooth 5 speed or an auto. Both cars had 4 wheel disc brakes, Independant A arm front suspenesions with a sold axle in the back. Fuel duties ranged from carbs to Fuel injection on both cars.

Both had easy to use soft tops (the fiat's is better) and they only ever sat a driver and a single passenger (no matter what the "back seat" in the fiat intended), though the driving position for our pair of spiders is decidedly "italian ape" with your arms outstretched and your knees up under your chin.

To top of the similarities.. both the bodies of both cars were both designed and built by Pininfarina. If two different cars could be considered sisters.. it is these two alluring Italian Mistresses.

Alfa Spider:

Fiat Spider:

sanman
sanman Reader
3/2/12 12:39 a.m.

They both look good, but that Alfa is calling out to me!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/2/12 12:42 a.m.

Alfa

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/2/12 12:49 a.m.

Fiat.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
3/2/12 1:26 a.m.

To be more fair the slightly newer alfa would be much closer in price to the fiat. The car that is pictured is probably a $30k car, and i have seen fiats as nice as that one for well under $5k.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 7:06 a.m.

I would say Fiat because the seating position in the Alfa felt really awkward to me but I have never sat in a Fiat.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/2/12 7:35 a.m.

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening?

Plastics.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/2/12 8:15 a.m.

I'd love an Alfa. I've had 3 of the Fiats, with this being may last restoration project:

Fiat Project

I had $2500 into it. A comparable Alfa would have been MUCH more expensive. But the Alfa is a slightly better car overall.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
3/2/12 8:26 a.m.

A boat tail Alfa vs Fiat 124 is an unfair fight. The later square tail Alfa can be found as cheap as the Fiat.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/2/12 8:37 a.m.

I've had both, hands down Alfa. Nothing wrong wth the Fiat at all, it's just that the Alfa has that little bit extra. Both seating positions are the same for what that's worth.

Of course if you included the X1/9, I'd vote that over both.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 8:51 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: A boat tail Alfa vs Fiat 124 is an unfair fight. The later square tail Alfa can be found as cheap as the Fiat.

I had a feeling including a picture of the Duetto would be an issue.. but it was really one of the prettiest alfas I could find on the web

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/2/12 8:54 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: A boat tail Alfa vs Fiat 124 is an unfair fight. The later square tail Alfa can be found as cheap as the Fiat.
I had a feeling including a picture of the Duetto would be an issue.. but it was really one of the prettiest alfas I could find on the web

I am one of the oddballs who like the first square tail Alfas from '71-74. Simple stainless bumpers, great engine.... To each his own.

There are some increidble details that many Alfisti miss on the Cuttlefish design, though (the Italians call it a Cuttlefish, Duetto is more English designation).

I'm not going bother voting- but one can offset my Alfa with ddavid's Fiat vote.

(one other thing- that duetto in the picture- they may ask for $30k, but there are too many things not original to get it- behind the obvious seats and wheels, it would take a close examination to see what else is changed. $30k is a very original Duetto)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/2/12 9:16 a.m.

The Fiat is cute, the Alfa is sexy. Sort of like Reese Witherspoon vs. Scarlett Johansson. I'll take Scarlett, please.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
3/2/12 9:17 a.m.

agreed. The Alfa is gorgeous. Alfa wins.

alfadriver wrote: I am one of the oddballs who like the first square tail Alfas from '71-74. Simple stainless bumpers, great engine.... To each his own.

I agree this is a more fair fight, but like you I think the early square tail Alfa's are beautiful in their own right as well.

They look good even without the bumpers as race cars... :)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 9:24 a.m.

I'll take the Alfa. Hopefully I can figure out how to drive a foreign shift.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
3/2/12 9:31 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I'll take the Alfa. Hopefully I can figure out how to drive a foreign shift.

Don't worry. You'll just run it out of fuel and ditch it by the side of the road anyway .

I'd go for the Alfa, too. Even if not a Duetto.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/2/12 9:42 a.m.

I'd take the Alfa. Only on the basis that i could modify the crap out of it.

If i have to keep them both stock, i'd rather a soldering iron into my ear canal.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/2/12 9:54 a.m.

Alfa wins for me.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/2/12 12:40 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: The Fiat is cute, the Alfa is sexy. Sort of like Reese Witherspoon vs. Scarlett Johansson. I'll take Scarlett, please.

Ok, I was undecided until you put forth this logic. Alfa it is.

I too, am a big fan of the boat tail rather than the square back. Saw a beautiful green duetto in high school when I was working at the grocery store and added it to my list then.

Gasoline
Gasoline Reader
3/2/12 1:14 p.m.

I vote Monza Spyder. A friend had one with a strong 350 & Muncie swaped in. Not much could touch it.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/2/12 1:22 p.m.

Damn that is the nicest Alfa spider I have ever seen.

But, I would go Fiat Abarth

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 1:29 p.m.

Only one of those will get you Mrs. Robinson's tail, and that's the Alfa.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 1:37 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Only one of those will get you Mrs. Robinson's tail, and that's the Alfa.

So if you want to go cougar hunting, get an Alfa.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/2/12 2:52 p.m.

Have to sqash Alfadriver's vote. Having owned more of those Fiats than I can count on one hand, and spending over 6 years providing parts for both Alfas and Fiats, and having driven both many times I'd always take the Fiat. The Alfa may have the edge in engine power but to me it is merely an equal in all other categories. I never cared for the interior arrangement, goofy shifter angle or ultra-deep dish steering wheel. Build quality of both was about the same, meaning stuff broke and fell off. I also prefer the looks of the small bumper 124 to any of the Alfas, even the overrated boattail. But either one is a better choice than anything Merry Old England ever cranked out.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 4:22 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: But either one is a better choice than anything Merry Old England ever cranked out.

Lies. Damn dirty lies.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uI0t59BR0WESX1zxLHbNDuUinalHD9nAx4uch4CH3wqW8yQcnbxefIhOzaGqySUE