MCarp22 HalfDork
8/28/14 3:42 p.m.

NMNA

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4610732588.html

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/28/14 5:28 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: NMNA http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4610732588.html

The M3 sedan is a unicorn these days. There are a number of statements in that description that give me pause... "it does have a fresh paint job" being the biggest offender.

If I was close though - I'd go check it out with $7500 in my hand and $500 in my back pocket on the chance it's an honest car.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/28/14 5:49 p.m.

What about a 4th gen f-body? I was shopping with similar requirements a few months ago and thats what I ended up with. Yes, the interior sucks. And the body roll/lack of remotely adequate shocks makes it feel sort of like a buick (can't wait to get my Koni shocks and Strano springs installed if FedEx ever berkeleying delivers them) And spark plugs are pretty much an all day job.

But it has its charms and has actually proven quite practical. I average probably 21 mpg in my daily commute and easily see 25 mpg at a high cruising speed on the highway. Geering is stupid tall, 80 mph is like 2k rpm in 6th. 12k would probably buy a garage queen with like 50k miles. Because LS1.

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
8/28/14 9:58 p.m.
GCooper wrote: Need to have a back seat. I'll look into the G35s.

I am a bit biased as i currently have a 6mt g35 sedan but that may be your answer. It is an awesome car. Quick, roomy, and pimp. I get 25mpg on the highway as well. The 6 speed manuals are out there too. They are not as rare as you might think. You should drive one.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/14 10:21 p.m.

Another vote for a lightly modded E46 330. Look at the changes that made it a ZHP, not as hard to duplicate as M vs non M.

Opti
Opti Reader
8/29/14 12:37 a.m.

If you've got 12k to spend...c5 corvette.

Chevy Corvette 6 speed 2000

http://dallas.en.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4633276121.html

1999 corvette 8500

http://dallas.en.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4628348960.html

If I wasn't so cheap I would have bought a red c5 I found. 120k miles, very clean in and out, 6speed, new clutch and hydraulics, new tires, hud, and corsa exhaust. It was 12k and was for sale for over a month so probably could have got it for 11k, but alas I am a very cheap person and found one I thought I could get for 9 and it had red interior. Got it for 8500, it'd a 6 speed.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/29/14 12:50 a.m.

G37 was my first thought. 350z maybe? Don't know if they are in the 12k price range though

As others have said a regular non M 3 series. 330s are darn great cars. I particularly like the ci versions.

What about a 540i sport?

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
8/29/14 7:45 p.m.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I'm off to scour Craigslist ...

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/30/14 3:07 a.m.
Based on what? Snobbery, perceived quality, actual quality, NVH, running cost or fun to drive factor? OP gave a pretty vague description of his needs.

I owned an LX car, enjoyed it, and plan to own another. Which of us is assuming more in his reply, hmm? Out of all the crap you listed, only one of them was actually something the OP listed among his criteria. The rest of it was trying to put words in my mouth, or at least comes off that way.

The 330zhp is on the pointy end of a sports car stick. Just short of an m3. Nothing in the LX car range is comparable. The charger r/t is sticking a large motor in an otherwise unexceptional large family car and ending up with something only MARGINALLY faster than a 330zhp but not really comparable in any other meaningful way if you want a sporty car. He sounds like he is looking for something more 'special' than a big motor in an unexceptional large family car.

just my .02

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/30/14 6:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Vigo wrote: I would definitely not put a Charger R/T in the same category as a 330 zhp...
Based on what? Snobbery, perceived quality, actual quality, NVH, running cost or fun to drive factor? OP gave a pretty vague description of his needs. EDIT, Tom kinda beat me to it.

What snobbery? Vigo daily drives a 1g Honda Insight. Also is an advocate for Chrysler products along with a Plymouth in his avatar. Urine in the Cheerios this morning?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/30/14 6:49 a.m.

A Jetta TDI and a GTI are fun cars with back seats.

maj75
maj75 Reader
8/30/14 10:32 a.m.

Owned a 330i ZHP, Slicktop and currently have a E36 M3 track car. For a daily driver, I'd get the ZHP. Better suspension, trans, interior than the regular 330i unless you want an automatic. Best seats in any car I've ever owned. Great legroom. Infinity isn't in the same league. Inferior paint, interior, drivetrain and suspension. I shopped both and the BMW was worth every additional $. Any 330i is better than an Infinity. Keep looking for the ZHP. Lot of times the car won't even have the ZHP in the listing because the seller doesn't know what it is. The ZHP options are pretty distinctive and nobody bother to clone one.

kingbeann
kingbeann New Reader
8/30/14 12:26 p.m.

I have an E90 335i w/sport package and 6 speed manual. They have got to be close to your range and should tick all the boxes of the older ZHP. I considered both and went newer. Check the service history for replacement turbos and high pressure fuel pump. Extended warranty on both if still within mileage. Very fun car.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/14 7:31 p.m.

540i/6 can hit your buttons.

Leadfoot
Leadfoot Dork
8/30/14 10:05 p.m.

Don't forget the 2006 330i with sport package. First year for the E90 (sedan), 255hp, and more room than an E46. I've driven a ZHP, 06 330i, and several 335i models (including the one I purchased).They are all very nice when optioned the way you want. I wanted a stick but ended up with the 6 speed auto. I don't regret it.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/14 8:38 a.m.

I would go with the BMW's mentioned above if you can find them. I have the Speed6 because I found a screaming deal on a stock, non-rusted one 30 min from my house. It will get 26+ on the highway and I bet a bit better now that I have a Cobb Accessport with an available economy tune.
Its been totally reliable. I've done the fuel pressure internals, intake, BOV and added some nice light wheels and suspension bits (just about everything has come from Corksport). I'd suspect you could just take the BMW out as-is since they come out of the factory ready to go.

I've done 8 full-on track days with my car and I'm having a blast. The downside is you may have to own turbo AWD cars until the day you die.

GCooper
GCooper New Reader
8/31/14 10:23 a.m.
Leadfoot wrote: Don't forget the 2006 330i with sport package. First year for the E90 (sedan), 255hp, and more room than an E46. I've driven a ZHP, 06 330i, and several 335i models (including the one I purchased).They are all very nice when optioned the way you want. I wanted a stick but ended up with the 6 speed auto. I don't regret it.

Thanks for this tip! I keep seeing the 06 models coming up in my searches but I hadn't heard much about them. I'll check them out

I'm definitely leaning toward the BMWs. Are the 530i any good? I've read the 545s are a expensive to maintain

lnlds
lnlds Reader
9/9/14 1:11 a.m.
glueguy wrote: Another vote for a lightly modded E46 330. Look at the changes that made it a ZHP, not as hard to duplicate as M vs non M.

Yeah I'd look at the 330i with a sports package (bucket seats but no alacantra steering wheel). I think you'll still be short a shocks, steering rack, cams, and diff but you'll probably save $4000+ on the buy in.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4iCSrk2aEiJj3BUHSk5tqFbA6Tu0bYIXJOge0zVG2TsTzpxvNDphODuUzrhUAtAW