1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/19 10:23 p.m.

My Audi A4 Quattro MT6 has been for sale for too long and the only serious trade offer I've had is from a guy with an SRT4 swapped Neon.

It would be straight across. Am I nuts or is this thing going to be easier to sell?

MTechnically
MTechnically New Reader
4/19/19 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Maybe I haven't been hanging around GRM long enough, but it seems obvious that a motor swapped Neon should be harder to sell than a clean stock A4. I'm just a little confused about the goal here. Are you trying to trade with the intention of selling or are you actually intending to use the car?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/19/19 11:33 p.m.

Dude, why you gotta be so far away?  That looks like a really nice DD.   But I don’t think i’d Swap it for an oddball swapped car unless it was something you wanted to drive.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/20/19 12:15 a.m.

Depends on the quality of the swap.

From being in the E30/E36/E46 world long enough, I've seen to many half-assed swaps I wouldn't sell an enemy 

Javelin
4/20/19 12:27 a.m.

I just need to sell the Audi. I'm trying to buy a house. If I got the neon, I'd immediately sell it.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
4/20/19 12:37 a.m.

Yes, I think you're crazy, to trade, if you need money to buy a house. My guess is that Neon Guy can't sell his car, either, so he's looking to trade. 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/20/19 12:41 a.m.

I vote with MTechnically that the Audi will be much easier to sell as the general public will stay far away from a ~15 year old swapped neon. 

I think car selling is just a pain in the ass and a long process in general. Sorry I don’t have better new for you! 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/19 12:51 a.m.

I mean.....the neon is cool and id personally want it......but the audi should be a way easier sell. I cant imagine you getting $3500 for the neon in any fast period of time.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/19 7:39 a.m.

If you weren't so far away this thread wouldn't exist and I would have a Smyth ute kit on order!

Having just worked thru selling a modded car myself, don't trade to flip. Reasons already stated above.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/20/19 7:51 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

The swap sounds like a bad idea. Maybe you have to sell one of your other cars and keep the Audi? Assuming you have other cars. 

Try other online sales options. And also investigate the donation for tax related cost reduction. Still results in more disposable income. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/19 7:55 a.m.

I think the Audi would be easier to sell. Are you getting any interest on it (with the exception of the trade offer)?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/20/19 8:03 a.m.

I'm with the rest of them. If you're doing to raise the funds the neon is a bad idea.  Think about this - when was the last time this forum was unanimously AGAINST a crazy swap? 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/20/19 8:37 a.m.

The turbo neon is great and I'd probably do the trade if I was more interested in turbo neon shenanigans than money. But trading a slightly weird car for a very weird car in hopes of an easier sell is definitely not a smart move.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/20/19 9:03 a.m.

Don’t buy a modded car unless you really want such modded car.   I want the Audi as I want an awd car for winter but distance and time are tough. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
4/20/19 9:08 a.m.

Also, you will (or, at least, should) have to transfer the title etc before you sell the neon.  Or it’ll be “title is in previous owner’s name but trust me - it’s all good” which is, coupled with the motor swap, another potential source of rejection

have you tried the offerups and nextdoors and Craigslists and fb and sign in window?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/19 9:24 a.m.

Yes, you're crazy.  Modded cars are worth nothing, an A4Q is worth at least $5-8k.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/20/19 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

This one has over 200k. Looks nice but big miles. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
4/20/19 11:03 a.m.

The Neon guy is thinking the same thing as you......

Javelin
4/20/19 11:17 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Exactly. I've had a TON of interest in the car, but as soon as they see the miles they run away. It drives nicer that ones with half the miles we looked at.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
4/20/19 11:30 a.m.

Tell Neon guy to sell the Neon, then buy your Audi with the cash.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
4/20/19 12:32 p.m.
Javelin said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Exactly. I've had a TON of interest in the car, but as soon as they see the miles they run away. It drives nicer that ones with half the miles we looked at.

My two cents?  Drop the price of the car a little more.

Lots of interest means you're close.   Just not close enough to close a sale. 

As my friend likes to say, it's worth a little more of I'm the one selling it, worth a little less if I'm the one buying it. 

Javelin
4/20/19 3:02 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

It's already the cheapest running driving Quattro in 2 states, let alone clean title, by $500. Everything less is a parts car or totaled. There's like 3 or 4 of you who would buy it on the spot if it wasn't way up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/19 3:13 p.m.

Id start carpet bombing for sale ads in your area of cars that are more easily sellable around the same price, you never know you might get a bite or 2.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
4/20/19 3:48 p.m.

That reminds me! A few years ago my nephew had a Passat with 230k miles that he was trying to sell through the normal channels with no luck. I told him to bring it over my house. I live on a busy street and I never failed to get a sale with cars I’ve offered.. His car looked and drove like a car with a fraction of the miles as well. It took one week when a young kid stopped and eventually  bought the car. So, maybe a friend can let you park it in a high visibility area? 

Oh, the car had I spread sheet from day one started by my nephews dad which I think helped eased the thoughts of high mileage.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
4/20/19 4:21 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to OldGray320i :

It's already the cheapest running driving Quattro in 2 states, let alone clean title, by $500. Everything less is a parts car or totaled. There's like 3 or 4 of you who but it on the spot if it wasn't way up here in the Pacific Northwest.

I do hear you.  I'm in that spot with a house we're selling, so we're at the point of do we take less than we think it's worth or get it sold (at this point, it's get it sold...).

Rustybugkillers advice is good also, unless you've done that too, in which case I've got nothing else to offer...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JexAENoMbooh9ZHNLiE4tgo0p9gzyleCVV7cBrtQGnmkdHw8ue9SK0mAUubHN4nt