1 2 3
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/6/19 3:54 p.m.

These commercials with everyone standing around in some warehouse looking as they change the car covers from Ford to Honda to Toyota to Chevy (and all the others like that where the guy is talking to "real people"). Playing endlessly during football this weekend. They're almost as obnoxious as the Verizon ones. Even SWMBO commented negatively on them, and she never pays attention to car ads.

At this point I'd go for some old school "dropping steel pipes from 10 feet into the pickup bed to show how tough it is" ads.....

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/19 4:00 p.m.

Yep.  I hate all the car ads right now.  Painful.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/19 4:01 p.m.

The A number one thing I don't miss about TV is the commercials. They only seem to have gotten worse since I stopped watching them. 

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
1/6/19 4:02 p.m.

Just saw a new GMC pickup truck commercial where the tailgate folds down into a step.  What a stupid stupid idea.  Whoever came up with that idea doesn't use a truck as a truck.  My tailgate is my work bench pretty much every day.  It needs to be a solid platform, not some fancy folding step ready to flop into three pieces.  If I ever get too old to climb in and out of a pickup truck bed, then I won't be needing a pickup.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
1/6/19 4:03 p.m.

The only thing good about the real people commercials are the parodies of them on Youtube.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/6/19 4:09 p.m.
tr8todd said:

Just saw a new GMC pickup truck commercial where the tailgate folds down into a step.  What a stupid stupid idea.  Whoever came up with that idea doesn't use a truck as a truck.  My tailgate is my work bench pretty much every day.  It needs to be a solid platform, not some fancy folding step ready to flop into three pieces.  If I ever get too old to climb in and out of a pickup truck bed, then I won't be needing a pickup.

You haven't looked at new pickup trucks, have you?  The lower step of the tailgate is the only thing you will be able to reach.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/6/19 4:17 p.m.

yeah tv sucks.  I love the fact that watching LSU on Direct Tv with at&t there are very few ads during the breaks.  I don't watch any tv or regular season NFL but I do watch the playoffs and SuperBowl and I hate tv ads.  can't wait until the Daytona 500 is over and I can put the tv in the closet.  I wonder how society still needs tv.  Makes no sense to me and I used to be a tv junkie.  the Chevy ones are starting to grate also.

but one last rant who are these people in these ads.  Super rich, stunning homes, masses of free time and disposable income pyschotically happy all the time.  sheesh. indecision  car ads are the worst especially.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/6/19 4:18 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
tr8todd said:

You haven't looked at new pickup trucks, have you?  The lower step of the tailgate is the only thing you will be able to reach.

This is why my '91 with a 3/5 drop will never be replaced as long as i'm still breathing.....$70K for a new PU....WTF?!?!?????

Dave M
Dave M Reader
1/6/19 4:36 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

The question is, is there anyone who actually likes them?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/6/19 4:48 p.m.

No, Chevy needs to move on. I even hate the Fake Commercials with Mahk on YouTube that make fun of those commercials. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/6/19 4:49 p.m.

Aren't cars rapidly becoming a thing of the past at least with the big 3?? really the only commercial I've found somewhat appealing is the GMC husband/wife new vehicle who gets the keys charade..... 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/6/19 5:15 p.m.

I cannot recall the last car I've seen a commercial for.  Where the hell does one see a Chevy commercial?

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/6/19 6:04 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd :

I like the Ford step that comes out of the top of the tailgate much better.  There if it's ever needed and totally out of the way without affecting tailgate function when it's not in use. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/6/19 6:19 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

No, Chevy needs to move on. I even hate the Fake Commercials with Mahk on YouTube that make fun of those commercials. 

I suspect Maawwwwhk is secretly funded by Chevy to make fun of them since his satire videos probally get more views than the real ads on TV.

Chevy needs to ditch that bearded dude and start over with a new ad company.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/19 6:20 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I cannot recall the last car I've seen a commercial for.  Where the hell does one see a Chevy commercial?

Watch football for about 20 minutes. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/6/19 6:32 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Try watching any NFL football this weekend. You'll see plenty.

There is a Benz C-Class ad on right now as I type this and it is actually  good. Car is driving, engines being put in, voice-over about going fast and being built strong and Mercedes race heritage. A legitimate car ad. I'd buy a Benz based off their ad. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/6/19 6:36 p.m.
T.J. said:

I suspect Maawwwwhk is secretly funded by Chevy to make fun of them since his satire videos probally get more views than the real ads on TV.

That dude is so smug. But Chevy is trying really hard to toe the line between a "manly" older guy who drives tough trucks (as seen in commercials) and a "stylish" millenial. Like, this guy is trying to be both, at once

Image result for chevy ad guy

On the upside, he is 100 times less douchey than this guy:

Image result for verizon ad guy

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/6/19 6:52 p.m.

You know who else hates Chevy ads? These guys

pirate
pirate Reader
1/6/19 7:04 p.m.

I really dislike the fake banter back and forth between the “real people” like “unbelievable” “nice” or the “awes” stuff that real people probably wouldn’t say.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/19 7:08 p.m.

Every cellphone company portrays their users as idiots and uses pitchmen that are really annoying. I don’t know why, maybe I’m not getting the subtle irony or something. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/6/19 7:14 p.m.

Haven’t had a TV in 15 years. Thank the lord 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/6/19 8:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Every cellphone company portrays their users as idiots and uses pitchmen that are really annoying. I don’t know why, maybe I’m not getting the subtle irony or something. 

And most ads in general portray men as idiots and women as their brilliant do-it-all saviors. 

The best Chevy ad was a few years ago with Santa and a hunter. Santa asked him what he hunted and he said.... I hunt deer... uh... FISH, I hunt fish...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBVQvBRRdKM

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
1/6/19 8:09 p.m.
tr8todd said:

The only thing good about the real people commercials are the parodies of them on Youtube.

THIS!  YES!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/6/19 8:11 p.m.
Hoondavan said:
tr8todd said:

THIS!  YES!

No, they all suck. 

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
1/6/19 8:11 p.m.
irish44j said:
T.J. said:

That dude is so smug. But Chevy is trying really hard to toe the line between a "manly" older guy who drives tough trucks (as seen in commercials) and a "stylish" millenial. Like, this guy is trying to be both, at once

Image result for chevy ad guy

On the upside, he is 100 times less douchey than this guy:

Image result for verizon ad guy

Dwight Shrute's brother ?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6CcZUo2yYVQw0J4KEZDrJhjeX2zH8y0xnfANO7aroatvh9BNpqmmEbTBpCf0TQET