1 2 3
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/9/12 12:12 p.m.

baja bug > gremlin > stock beetle

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/9/12 12:16 p.m.

Beetle. And I'm not even that fond of them... but I have even less desire to own a Gremlin or any other AMC car other than an AMX.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
3/9/12 12:24 p.m.

Have had several Beetles, cool cars for what they are. never had a Gremlin, but working on correcting that

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/9/12 12:26 p.m.

Wondering what a Gremlin with an AMC 2.5 four and a five speed would pull down as far as mileage and if it'd have enough grunt to feel "quick enough". Guy I knew in college had that same drivetrain in a Comanche so the parts are out there...

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/9/12 12:30 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Beetle. And I'm not even that fond of them... but I have even less desire to own a Gremlin or any other AMC car other than an AMX.

I kinda want a Spirit.

Seems like a mini Javelin, plus I could probably afford it.

Plus they seem fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct8juw3wgN0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9il2-mOlot8

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
3/9/12 12:33 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Wondering what a Gremlin with an AMC 2.5 four and a five speed would pull down as far as mileage and if it'd have enough grunt to feel "quick enough". Guy I knew in college had that same drivetrain in a Comanche so the parts are out there...

I think that is known as an AMC Spirit

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/9/12 12:37 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I think that is known as an AMC Spirit

According to Wiki, the only 2.5 available in the Spirit was an Iron Duke, not the AMC one, the Eagle and Premier had it though.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
3/9/12 12:39 p.m.

The Beetle was a symbol of an entire generation!

You never punched someone in the arm because you saw a Gremlin.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/9/12 12:40 p.m.

Gremlin.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/12 12:40 p.m.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think you could have gotten the 2.5 in the Spirit Kammback, which is a Spirit nose on a Gremlin body with long windows. (AMC got bizarre in it's parts-mashing at the end):

The early ones came with a VW/Audi 2.0 (is that the same one that was in the 924, because if so my brain has some seriously stupid ideas...)

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/9/12 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Yes, and knowing AMC, they probably beat you to the stupid ideas, but didn't have the money to make them work.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/12 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Grizz:

My stupid ideas involve a 944 Turbo motor in an AWD Spirit Kammback rally car and an AMC 4.6L I-6 stroker in a 924S with a turbo sticking out of the hood...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/12 12:51 p.m.

Is death an option?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/9/12 12:57 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: The Beetle was a symbol of an entire generation! You never punched someone in the arm because you saw a Gremlin.

You got punched in the arm because you bought a Gremlin.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
3/9/12 12:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Grizz: My stupid ideas involve a 944 Turbo motor in an AWD Spirit Kammback rally car and an AMC 4.6L I-6 stroker in a 924S with a turbo sticking out of the hood...

I approve.

pres589
pres589 Dork
3/9/12 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Spirit

I'm talking about the AMC 2.5 that was based on the 4.0 HO, this thing here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Straight-4_engine#The_AMC_150.2F2.5.26nbsp.3BL_engine

And not this other GM thing that AMC did use for a while before their own motor was ready;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Iron_Duke_engine

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/9/12 1:37 p.m.

I've had over 30 custom air cooled VWs of various flavors. No brainer on the Beetle. MUCH more versatile.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
3/9/12 1:44 p.m.

Beetle. Way more potential to be bitchin' in either stock or modified form:

ronholm
ronholm Reader
3/9/12 2:13 p.m.

Do we get to cut the beetle up... Weld together some tubes.. and well.. you know...

If we do.. Beetle..

If not...

Gremlin

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/9/12 2:21 p.m.

This is a question?

Beetle, no doubt. Something along these lines works just fine for me.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
3/9/12 2:32 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to Javelin: Yes, and knowing AMC, they probably beat you to the stupid ideas, but didn't have the money to make them work.

Are you trying to imply that Javelin has more working capital than AMC did at that time? Because I am thinking both have the same "stupid" (awesome) ideas.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/9/12 2:46 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The early ones came with a VW/Audi 2.0 (is that the same one that was in the 924, because if so my brain has some seriously stupid ideas...)

Yep, the very same one. I don't think the VW/Audi/924 2.0L has the same bell housing as the Porsche 2.5L though. I'm thinking it shares it's pattern with the Audi 5cyl, but I'm not positive. I say go for the Audi 5cyl 20v DOHC 2.2L turbo in an AWD Spirit Kammback rally car.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
3/9/12 3:03 p.m.

While I have a new fondness for the Beetle, I have to go with the Gremlin.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/12 3:03 p.m.

wow.. in a matter of hours.. more replies than the Z vs 911 thread

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/12 3:22 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Because we can actually afford to own these....

I vote Gremlin.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O9PawZqdhzIi1onHRs0c8LsdKud1zAJ4gkplxAvacpzSIBYenH3FJoi2AULFDeQo