1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
5/23/10 9:59 p.m.

saw that show was pretty cool. This is by far no where near close to the best, but damn if it wasn't one of the coolest and followed along the same lines.

Agree with the C5-R

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/10 10:20 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: close- but not quite. we all know that this is America's greatest race car.

I do like that car alot. If your going to go for something only in America though it's hard to beat 8000 hp.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/23/10 10:33 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Wowak wrote: I think we all know that this is Amerkuh's greatest race car: *opens Budweiser and sits on toilet on front porch to wait for brawl*
close- but not quite. we all know that this is America's greatest race car.

If we are talking NASCAR...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/23/10 10:49 p.m.

or is it

Photobucket

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/23/10 10:52 p.m.

Wrong. All wrong. The greatest ever was "Goldenrod," the Bonneville land speed racer built by the Summers brothers.

Why is it the greatest? Earnhardt's Chevy is no longer the best, nor is the C5R, and the GT40 have long since been eclipsed. The Summer's Brothers' 409.277 mph record of 1965 has never been eclipsed.

It remains the fastest naturally aspirated wheel driven vehicle.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/10 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

I have a HotWheels of that car sitting on my desk, very cool.

I would have to go with the GT40, but the Daytona for sure looks better.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/24/10 8:47 a.m.

Are you sure about the Goldenrod? It was a very cool car but I thought someone had beaten its record in recent years.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/10 8:54 a.m.

Perhaps not the greatest, but I love the idea of a bunch of guys taking a stock Cadillac, borrowed from a local dealer no less, and beating the factory teams in a major international race. Not a sports car mind you, a Cadillac!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
5/24/10 11:06 a.m.

well.... a bigger a$$ then ol' Carrol, would be Mr. Foyt. He won in nearly everything........

So which Foyt car would fit?

His stock car? His front engine Indy car? His rear engine Indy car? Or some other car of his????

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/25/10 2:53 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Are you sure about the Goldenrod? It was a very cool car but I thought someone had beaten its record in recent years.

I believe that car was blown.

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
5/25/10 3:09 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Are you sure about the Goldenrod? It was a very cool car but I thought someone had beaten its record in recent years.

IF (note the caps) Goldenrod isn't blown, and if the record was quoted above correctly, then indeed- the AA/FS record is still below 400mph. The AA/BFS is above 420, though.

(www.scta-bni.org is my source)

Since the car is currently sitting less than a mile from me RIGHT THIS SECOND, one of these days, I'll have to go check it out again. It's at The Henry Ford, if you are in the area- has a nice display.

Eric

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/25/10 3:09 p.m.

Ka-Chow

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/25/10 6:09 p.m.

Goldenrod was always naturally aspirated. Injected, but un-blown.

pres589
pres589 Reader
5/25/10 6:56 p.m.

What about the GT40 makes it an American car? Engine... and what else? Some of the development and tuning?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
5/25/10 8:14 p.m.
pres589 wrote: What about the GT40 makes it an American car? Engine... and what else? Some of the development and tuning?

Mexico

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
5/25/10 8:25 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Its a cool car but there are a couple that I'd say were "greater", among them: American dude makes F1 car himself... wins (Gurney Eagle) American company gets miffed at Italian arrogance... crushes them (GT-40) And my favorite... ARCA (SCCA) founder builds his own cars and yachts and races them successfully for 30yrs, provides asshat Shelby with the formula for how its done (Briggs Cunningham). One example of many of his awesome cars:

I'm gonna have to agree with this post. These 3 I think are the top 3. Maybe the cobra can be #4. And I'm not taking any credit away from Shelby, he did have a huge part in the GT40. You should check out AJ Baime's book "Go like Hell". It tells it all.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/25/10 8:41 p.m.

I see a lot of "cool" cars but America's Greatest Racing Car needs to have beaten someone not from here, on the same track, at the same time by my thinking. You can't measure the best race car from here if it has not beaten anyone not from here (well... you can... but no one else will care).

That is why I chose the Eagle, GT40 and Cunningham cars. They sent the best from the rest of the world back to the drawing board.

Salt flat racers and dragsters are uniquely american for sure... its just that no one cares. Its like being the best cricket batsman in the entire universe. You and your mom are proud as can be but it stops there. :)

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
5/25/10 8:57 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: well.... a bigger a$$ then ol' Carrol, would be Mr. Foyt. He won in nearly everything........ So which Foyt car would fit? His stock car? His front engine Indy car? His rear engine Indy car? Or some other car of his????

Would this tie back into GT40? Foyt and Gurney, anyway.

pres589
pres589 Reader
5/25/10 11:41 p.m.

I personally think this is one of the greater (maybe not greatest, but awfully close) American racing cars;

triumph5
triumph5 New Reader
5/26/10 12:05 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver: If anyone gets the chance,GO to B'ville speed week. The engineering is sooo GR, and amazingly ingenious. Backyard specials to GM-financed experiments. Just watch out for the sunburn on the UNDERSIDE of your nose.

triumph5
triumph5 New Reader
5/26/10 12:08 a.m.

AMERICA'S GREATEST RACE CAR? Easy: First time you drive the family car without your parents in it.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
5/26/10 6:00 a.m.

Carrol Shelby...Whatever his legacy was going to be, over the last few years he has gone from Chicken Farmer to Chicken S--t in the eyes of many of his former fans.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KpVgULLSWftpz2vdySG5GHUGXEe0wL2G48YxHIUOAVw8rddd1HoUTVa0TfcDGGzR