NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
11/12/13 11:03 a.m.

Title Typo: Should be "And AN e30 For All"

Apologies if this is a re-post, but I came across this in another forum and thought it would be of interest to the crowd here.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/im-a-car-enthusiast-and-i-drive-a-car-with-an-automati-1454519901

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/12/13 11:09 a.m.

In reply to NY535iManual:

That person should be thankful most enthusiests hate slushboxes.......makes them worth less.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/12/13 11:19 a.m.

I dont hate all automatics, just the ones Ive driven. Admittedly, Ive never driven a sports car with an auto in anger. And the Auto DDs Ive driven have all had less than sporty pretensions, so my opinion may be tainted a bit.

Id consider owning an Auto if I ever test drive one that doesnt constantly have senior moments as it hunts for gears, or doesnt argue with me when I want to downshift. In general tho, I prefer the purity of a manual. The car does what I tell it to, and thats it.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/12/13 11:24 a.m.

The 5EAT in my Legacy GT was a good auto.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/12/13 11:27 a.m.

I have zero problems with the driveability of the 5EAT in my wife's TSX. Smooth, crisp, and even anticipates what gear I'm going to want. Works great in manumatic mode, too, but there's no real need to use it.

NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
11/12/13 11:46 a.m.

Unintended consequences make me smile! My intent in posting the link was to point out how people can share and enjoy our collective hobby subject to their particular limitations, ie needing to drive an auto because a manual is not an option.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy New Reader
11/12/13 12:04 p.m.

I've seen that person at one of the NJBMWCCA autox events.

I do feel that there could be some good automatic cars. I've only driven an automatic when paired with a big SUV or minivan, so I've grown to hate the driving experience with them. My opinion on automatics may be different if I did drive a sporty car with an auto.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/13 12:22 p.m.

great story.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oywpNkffzOs6NjwUskN8XfxxtJxEefATpDtAPOXBHVeVnvMpuNbXBQJNN9avzc6W