1 2
ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/10 12:06 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Here is a link to the first Mod I ever did to my Miata. 17 years later, it still works perfect. Total cost $1.25 to gain the ability to "flash to pass" which was not added as a factory feature until '94. http://www.miata.net/garage/flash.html

I love this mod -- so much so that I always try to do it in my Corvette, with no luck.

Carson
Carson Dork
2/2/10 12:10 p.m.

I try to do it all the time too in my Miata, I have not preformed the mod though

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/2/10 12:11 p.m.

On CL South Florida today- 130 Miatas, ranging in price from 1100.00 (with a blown head gasket) to over 17K (340rwhp, looks well done) Not a spec of rust on any. Just sayin'.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/10 9:06 p.m.

I took the hardtop off during lunch (and found the cord and plug for the rear defrost BTW which works great!) and got to drive it top-down for the first time! It was freaking awesome. It's a black vinyl top with a plastic window BTW, in pretty good shape. I love the 1-handed up-down action too. The hardtop is pretty easy to get on and off by myself as well.

All of the ladies at work loved it.

So far, so good!

Claff
Claff New Reader
2/2/10 9:17 p.m.

You must be superman to get the hardtop on and off by yourself. I have to use the block-and-tackle hoist attached to the garage roof, although once it's off the car I can pick it up myself and take it to the shed.

FWIW I also have a white Miata, but I wasn't keen on sharing with the wife. She did the most logical thing when she figured that out.

PS mine's faster

P71
2/2/10 10:41 p.m.
ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/10 4:34 a.m.

I love the P71 and the Hornet bracketing the Miata. Only at GRM :)

P71
2/3/10 8:37 a.m.

If you look through the other pics you'll see the RX-7 as well. Deep in the garage is the flag on the gokart as well. I am the coolest person in the whole neighborhood.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/3/10 11:35 a.m.
P71 wrote: I am the *coolest* person in the whole neighborhood.

Well, if that's the case, the neighbor's Fiero must not be AWD.

Bryce

P71
2/3/10 2:50 p.m.

Would you believe the neighbor on the other side has a Fiero too?

Mostly it's the gokart though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/3/10 2:53 p.m.
P71 wrote: I took the hardtop off during lunch (and found the cord and plug for the rear defrost BTW which works great!) and got to drive it top-down for the first time! It was freaking *awesome*. It's a black vinyl top with a plastic window BTW, in pretty good shape. I love the 1-handed up-down action too. The hardtop is pretty easy to get on and off by myself as well.

You know that you need to unzip the window before lowering the roof? Just sayin'.

P71 wrote: All of the ladies at work *loved* it.

They do that, don't they?

Claff wrote: You must be superman to get the hardtop on and off by yourself. I have to use the block-and-tackle hoist attached to the garage roof, although once it's off the car I can pick it up myself and take it to the shed.

Not sure about the OEM hardtop but the one I had on one of mine could easily be removed and fitted by a spindly geek (ie, me).

Nice Miatas, by the way.

P71
2/3/10 3:02 p.m.

The window on the softtop is plastic (and creased) and I sure don't see a zipper anywhere. It's a vinyl top if that helps?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/3/10 3:22 p.m.

There should be a zipper around the window on the inside. It's usually hidden a little under a overlapped piece of vinyl if it's an OEM roof. If it's not, it's often visible from the inside.

If you don't unzip the window it'll eventually break where it's creasing now.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/10 3:34 p.m.

Not all aftermarket windows unzip.

If you have a rollbar, unzipping is a pain in the patootie. I used to leave mine zipped. If I had time, I'd throw a towel in there to keep it from creasing too tight. I started doing this in 1997 or so, that car is still on the same rear window.

BTW, it's really easy to get into a Miata with a stock plastic rear window and a zipper if you know how to do it.

I can remove a hardtop solo without a problem. Lean over the top, grab it at the front and the back in the middle. Stand up.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
2/4/10 2:01 a.m.

Congrats on the purchase! I bet you can't wait for the autox season to start!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ombkQ00p5IDM08fi4p1cCUPVVLzurGOXLkTxMs2uztQZU7EAn0kpmc4qhkGa5nyk