Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/12 3:46 p.m.

Look what Consumer Reports wrote this week: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/08/five-popular-cars-to-avoid.html

Yup, the #1 car to avoid is the new Honda Civic. Granted a refresh is already coming for the 2013 Model but that just shows that even Honda realizes they finally launched a dud (now, how do we get them to acknowledge every Acura, the Accord Crosstour, etc, etc...).

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/9/12 3:51 p.m.
Javelin wrote: every Acura

Ahem. Take that back, sir.

No seriously, the new Civic is junk. It even looks crappy.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/9/12 3:54 p.m.

every NEW acura

Want:

DO NOT WANT

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/12 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Twin_Cam:

Obviously we're talking about the new beaked monsters, not the lithe, great Acura's of yore (<<former Integra owner).

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
8/9/12 4:03 p.m.

Whew! Neither of my cars are on the list! :)

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/9/12 4:28 p.m.

Am I reading that right? CR says avoid because it is too much of an appliance?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
8/9/12 4:36 p.m.

Boredom can kill!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/9/12 6:00 p.m.

Geeeez has Honda ever dropped the ball along the way. That's been a long term CR favorite. On the way to work this morning I was listening to a show that was discussing the new Honda Accord and they were saying that too was a dud. Don't shoot me I am just repeating what I heard.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
8/9/12 6:27 p.m.

If CR is dissing an Accord, of all things....

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
8/9/12 9:30 p.m.
logdog wrote: Am I reading that right? CR says avoid because it is too much of an appliance?

I feel this way about my 2012 Si. Thank god it's just a lease. Here are just a few of my complaints.

1) You can't turn off VSA unless they car recognizes TPMS sensors. So when I strapped on my AutoX set of wheels/tires I'm stuck with traction control on which means no power when coming out of a would be tire squealing corner. 2) The K24; while a great powerplant, is a bore compared to the K20 of the 8th gen. Yes the extra torque is nice but it just doesn't get me all giddy like the K20 did. 3) They took a huge step back with the interior. The plastics scratch very easily, it isn't as ergonomic as the last generation, and there is way to much going on with the tach, speedo, i-mid, and navi all having their own little areas. 4) It has lost a lot of it's sport feel. 5) One of the worst decisions I've ever made.

The pros 1) it does handle well 2) it gets better gas mileage than the K20 3)no one will ever try to steal it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/9/12 9:33 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Twin_Cam: Obviously we're talking about the new beaked monsters, not the lithe, great Acura's of yore (<<former Integra owner).

I like to refer to them as "chrome mustaches".

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
8/10/12 2:05 a.m.

Hard to believe the current offerings are from the same company that brought us the Type R and NSX.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/10/12 7:06 a.m.

Ah yes, Consumer Reports. Based on their (allegedly) unbiased yet totally screwed up testing in the past, I will always do the exact opposite of what they say. The sheeple may certainly follow them if they so choose.

'Nuff said.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/10/12 8:10 a.m.

Civic is too much of an appliance but the Corolla isn't on the list?

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
8/10/12 8:12 a.m.

When my wife's '09 Civic lease ran out, I re-upped to a '12 Civic.
The '12 is not a bad car, it's just not as good as the '09, which:

looked better
was more comfortable
handled better
braked better
had more power
didn't wander all over the road at highway speeds
cost a lot less

The only bright spot is better mileage.

I miss the '09.

Carter

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
8/10/12 8:25 a.m.

Honda Fit - even large dealerships only have a few.

Honda Civic - even small lots have wayyyy too many.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
8/10/12 8:37 a.m.

You spelled "Honduh" wrong.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/10/12 9:00 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: You spelled "Honduh" wrong.

And the older ones are "Hoonda" since they were awesome.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/12 12:38 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: 1) You can't turn off VSA unless they car recognizes TPMS sensors. So when I strapped on my AutoX set of wheels/tires I'm stuck with traction control on which means no power when coming out of a would be tire squealing corner.

I'm not doubting your experience, but this flies in the face of what we were taught with respect to how modern stability control functions. It needs to know that you don't have a dangerously low tire before it tries to screw with the handling.

Very interesting.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/10/12 12:47 p.m.

Glad I own an ms3. Swap wheels, hit the DSC OFF button, do work. Tire light shinin' the whoooooole time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q2OdVNDTcDYsrX08DAtIHcbEbOiwr1DSbrr02nRsVr7zK1llIHBjlfM30VbkQMnC