David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/14/20 5:04 p.m.
feature_image

Andy Lally knows road racing. After quickly climbing through the SCCA Club Racing ranks, he became a top pro. He’s won the Rolex 24 At Daytona five times to date. He has three IMSA titles. During this year’s IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship, he’s driving the GMT Magnus Lamborghini Huracan GT3. He’s also a nice guy who likes animals. 

Lally also …

Read the rest of the story

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/14/20 5:15 p.m.

He did a short stint in our W123 at Road Atlanta. Cut 6 seconds off our hotlap in that short time.

David S. Wallens
8/14/20 9:16 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Nice.

A year or so ago, I missed my connection in Atlanta, so I arranged a ride to a local hotel. As I'm waiting for my ride at like midnight at the ride pick-up area at ATL, Andy comes walking up--waiting on his ride as well. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/15/20 9:03 a.m.

He has been fastest in the EVSR as well, and contributed significant development time to our project in its early stages. Great guy,fast guy!

David S. Wallens
8/15/20 2:23 p.m.

Just saw that Lally's car is now available on Trading Paints

David S. Wallens
8/15/20 3:04 p.m.

And we're under a weather delay due to lightning. They have wet tires, but no nothing when lightning. 

Lally starts in P6. 

"Cup cars are like heavy GT cars with space shuttle engines on them."

That made me smile.

Sports cars are fun, but I think a cup car would make me giggle like a school girl the first time I tromped the throttle. 

Then I'd hit the tire wall.

David S. Wallens
8/15/20 4:03 p.m.

Listening here

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/15/20 4:19 p.m.

I dont watch Nascar, but I just turned on because of this.

ANd when I did it was his car on screen. It was him and someone battling for a position (it's commercial, I cant see what all is happeneing)

hybridmomentspass
8/15/20 4:20 p.m.

P6 in 'stage one'

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
8/15/20 4:30 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

"Cup cars are like heavy GT cars with space shuttle engines on them."

That made me smile.

Sports cars are fun, but I think a cup car would make me giggle like a school girl the first time I tromped the throttle. 

Then I'd hit the tire wall.

I've driven the neutered ones at the NASCAR experience. It's different. I've street driven a 10 second car and I thought it was fast. The cup car pulled up to the limited 150 really quick and smooth and you could tell it wanted to go faster. They've got some really long legs and pull up through the RPMs quick.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/20 6:31 p.m.

Ouch for Earl. The bus stop is a car eater today. Andy is having a good clean run. He has been more about keeping the nose clean up to now. 

hybridmomentspass
8/15/20 8:25 p.m.

Lally finished 5th, Almendinger, another Rolex driver, was 4th.

Good for Andy!!!

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage Reader
8/15/20 9:26 p.m.

That was a very entertaining race. Too bad the bus stop took out Earl Bamber, was hoping to see both of the sports cars guys up near the top. 

David S. Wallens
8/15/20 9:43 p.m.

Just reading up on race winner Austin Cindric, and he's from our world. At age 21, he's already done USF2000, HSR, Global RallyCross, IMSA Continental, IMSA WeatherTech, Bathhurst and Pirelli World Challenge. That's a bit of experience. 

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
8/16/20 1:20 p.m.

Big things ahead for Cindric.   He has won 5 or is it 6 races so far this year.   He is so fast but so smooth

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/16/20 4:10 p.m.

Cindric was just in a class of his own yesterday.  Even when he was behind the 98, he just looked smoother and more in control.

And that splitter eating bus stop?!?!? What a mess!

I think my favourite was the restart with 6 or 8 to go when almost the entire field went too deep into turn one.  I laughed.

David S. Wallens
8/16/20 6:50 p.m.

Cleaning racing today. Here's today's class of the field (courtesy of my iPhone). 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eWTpY4Eb85RfAkJc01yd756sHeZdZd5CWvk7xKorbpsxJGoG3OzWYfJLYINJFljq