Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/20 11:40 a.m.

First of all, thank you to Grassroots Motorsports Magazine for generously donating to the contest and making it official! 

Now, drum roll please....

Let's start with the Replica class (prizes are in parentheses):

Third Place (model from Saron81) - ddavidv's 1957 Jeep CJ-5

Second Place (model from Aaron_King) - Javelin's 1960 Chevrolet Impala

First Place ($20 gift card from GRM) - vwcorvette's 1964 Chevrolet Corvette

In the Racecar class, we have:

Third Place (model from ZackM) - Saron81's Chevrolet Monte Carlo NASCAR

Second Place (model from BenB) - ZackM's Mitsubishi Starion GrpA 

First Place ($20 gift card from GRM) - slowbird's Ford Torino short tracker

Best Paint (model from Javelin and $20  gift card from GRM) - ZackM's Subaru WRX WRC

And now, for the Overall Best in Show ($50 gift card from GRM)...

TurnerX19's 1963 Lotus 25 F1

Again, congratulations to everyone. The builds were all incredible, and every single model garnered votes. This was a close contest the whole way and the builders all helped each other, which is exactly what this should be. We'll be doing a "catch up" build in September, and then a "GRM Challenge Car" contest in October, so stay tuned.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/9/20 1:01 p.m.

surprise I won? Wow there was a lot of really great cars here, but hey I'll take it! laugh Congrats to all of the winners and runners-up!

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/9/20 1:14 p.m.

Nice! Congrats to all the winners. REALLY tough to call this round! I also really enjoyed following everyone's builds. Thanks to everyone that made this possible. 
DDavidV PM me your info and I'll get your kit shipped out! 

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
9/9/20 1:32 p.m.

Best of show was the easiest vote this round!

Happy to be part of it this month and get a couple cars up there. Every build was great guys. 

Saron81, PM me and I will get you a kit shipped out!

Zack

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/9/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

Can't pm with my yahoo address... which is my user name here if you want to send me an email, or send me a pm, and I'll respond.

Thanks! 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/9/20 2:30 p.m.

Congratulations everyone! Some great looking builds this time.

Zack, send me your address and I'll get your kit in the mail by this weekend.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/9/20 4:20 p.m.

I'm flattered with 3rd. I basically built a box stock kit while others really tried to emulate something with sometimes difficult kits.

I can't remember what the prizes were in my category so whatever I get will be a Christmas miracle, LOL. I prefer Ford stuff if there's a choice.

I've got zero kits except for the little Cobra I won previously so nothing to toss in for September. I'm curious what the guidelines are for the 'Challenge' October thing.  If I don't have anything that fits the criteria I may just build along with y'all and just not be eligible for prizes. The monthly push is a great motivator for me to keep building junk. smiley

I'll try to have the video on the Jeep done sometime this weekend.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/9/20 4:43 p.m.

Nice job everyone!

I haven't chimed in much but I've really enjoyed following the builds. Keep it up!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/20 5:19 p.m.

I'm incredibly flattered. Thank you. Don will be tickled as well.

Javelin, thanks for making this happen and continually egging us on. I now have the bug again ( my poor wife).

I'm tempted to make a Riviera based American "James Bond" vehicle as my next model after all the talk about it in the Bond thread. Need to plan. Or maybe I'll finally do one of the VWs?

Again, thank you.

Edit: thank you GRM for sponsoring this build. This is THE best community on or off the web.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/9/20 9:31 p.m.

Thank you GRM, and thank you to all who voted. I am delighted to be part of this community, and echo Vwcorvette about the push to keep building. Since March when we started these threads I have completed more models than in the previous two decades. I needed that. September catchup build resumed from a 1997 start up. 

9/9/20 11:00 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Thank you GRM, and thank you to all who voted. I am delighted to be part of this community, and echo Vwcorvette about the push to keep building. Since March when we started these threads I have completed more models than in the previous two decades. I needed that. September catchup build resumed from a 1997 start up. 

We are collectively up to 77 completed kits because of these build offs, not including the ones people are doing in-between.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 11:04 p.m.

Great job Zach 

I voted for you on other thread and was pulling for you. Nice to see your beauties recognized 

keep up the great work 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/10/20 4:38 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
TurnerX19 said:

We are collectively up to 77 completed kits because of these build offs, not including the ones people are doing in-between.

+1 to whatTurnerX19 says. Thanks to you guys, I'm up to 7 cars and 2 sci fi kits completed, so far, and I've finally started pushing a couple of stalled airplane subjects forward, too. That's probably 3 or 4 years of normal output for me. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/20 8:58 a.m.

It has really been great to get back into building after almost a 30 year break, thanks for the kick in the pants.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

PM me your address and which kit you want.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/10/20 10:19 a.m.

These builds are so awesome. Thank you, everyone. The work is just stellar. 

9/11/20 3:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

These builds are so awesome. Thank you, everyone. The work is just stellar. 

Agreed! They are all awesome.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/11/20 4:24 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Your kit is in the mail! If you're a Ford guy, you should love it! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YiW1wf4SYhVTyAxPxpeEzjR4pV9oqUYDPIMheggEvVuPMWQcqYmbFeABp2KrNFnS