1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/8/11 12:07 p.m.

Whoops, I guess I should have read the post before mine.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/8/11 12:13 p.m.
16vCorey wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: How are these methods cheaper then spraying?
If you have no compressor and paint gun then $20 worth of rollers wins every time, by a very large margin.
But in terms of raw materials, it isn't?
Not really cheaper than spraying Rustoleum, but WAY cheaper than spraying actual automotive paint. I guess it is a little cheaper because some paint gets lost in the air when you spray, but it's pretty marginal.

I was planning on using tractor supply paint.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
12/8/11 12:17 p.m.

John Deere blitz black.

Cheap but sprayed

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/8/11 5:12 p.m.

I used Interlux boat paint on my BMW (previous page). The gloss right off the roller is so good I didn't sand/buff at all. I think you pretty much have to buff the Rustoleum.

Metallics won't work with the roller system, which turns a lot of people off.

I sprayed the $2002 Challenge car with a gallon of Kirker automotive paint. It was around $30 at the time, but you still have to buy the reducer, hardener, etc plus measure precisely. The roller method isn't as finicky. Kirker is probably the cheapest auto paint you can get (single stage); it goes up quickly from there. The sprayed-on paint required sanding/buffing due to crap in the air, inexperience with the gun and just issues with overspray onto previously painted panels. The ways you can screw up spraying are numerous; rolling, not-so-much.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
12/8/11 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Taiden:

Me likey . . . that would look good on my E34 . . .

Taiden
Taiden Dork
12/8/11 9:16 p.m.

The cool things about john deere blitz black.

It's one of the nicest looking satin/flat blacks (in pictures anyway)

It does not require a primer

Supposedly it's tough as nails

You can buy the same stuff in a rattle can for touch ups.

It's cheap

J308
J308 New Reader
12/19/11 9:43 p.m.

Between this, the roller, brush, turbine, rattlecan and above mentioned jd blitz threads, I'm honestly at a loss.

FWIW, I think the John Deere Blitz Black looks better than almost any rattlecan black I've seen. Most other flat/matte/satin blacks end up grey and looking like primer.

Looks like I'll be going through the budget paint threads... anyone got any recommendations for reading? (preferably with pics)

former520
former520 Reader
12/19/11 9:59 p.m.

This was shot in my driveway with a cheapo HF gun, an old Craftman oilless compressor in an afternoon. Gallon of color ($75) and a quart of hardener ($25) and quart of thinner ($15). I used the gun to paint the front of my BMW after a dog hit. The amount of time saved by not having to sand is worth it.

ww
ww SuperDork
12/19/11 10:39 p.m.

This sucks!

Not for Sale In California, does not comply with CARB VOC limits

I seriously need to move out of California... or just break down and buy some property in northern Nevada...

I really wanted to paint one of my Z cars with the Blitz Black and rep the satin action. I've got an old beat up set of chrome bumpers that would be perfect candidates for a satin black-out job...

arvoss
arvoss New Reader
12/19/11 11:00 p.m.

We rolled our $2011 car in white and it was a ton of work but material cost was really low. The paint is so thin, 1:1 thinner : paint, that it took 7 coats and even then it could have used a few more. We had to wet sand in-between every coat and we didn't quite figure out how to get the final coat to shine. Admittedly we had more important things to worry about at the time but we might try and a nice rattle can next year depending on time and budget.

Merc
Merc New Reader
12/20/11 4:07 a.m.
motomoron wrote: I don't know - roller painting a car seems disrespectful to the car.

Mecedes has a metallic paint that is so close to actual bare metal that it is required for them to roll on because it allows the particles lay flatter on the surface than if it were to be sprayed on. So the technique is still being used by some manufacturers.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/20/11 5:55 a.m.
J308 wrote: Looks like I'll be going through the budget paint threads... anyone got any recommendations for reading? (preferably with pics)

I've got several links on my E30 page to some of the more popular roller painting threads. Follow this link: Mongrel Motorsports

Taiden
Taiden Dork
12/20/11 9:17 a.m.
ddavidv wrote:
J308 wrote: Looks like I'll be going through the budget paint threads... anyone got any recommendations for reading? (preferably with pics)
I've got several links on my E30 page to some of the more popular roller painting threads. Follow this link: Mongrel Motorsports

Your links link appears to be broken.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/11 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

I'm googling the Seagloss stuff right now.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/20/11 4:05 p.m.
Taiden wrote:
ddavidv wrote:
Your links link appears to be broken.

Methinks your browser is broken. Just worked for me.

J308
J308 New Reader
12/20/11 4:36 p.m.
arvoss wrote: We rolled our $2011 car in white and it was a ton of work but material cost was really low. The paint is so thin, 1:1 thinner : paint, that it took 7 coats and even then it could have used a few more. We had to wet sand in-between every coat and we didn't quite figure out how to get the final coat to shine. Admittedly we had more important things to worry about at the time but we might try and a nice rattle can next year depending on time and budget.

Got any pics of the outcome?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/20/11 4:43 p.m.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience rolling or spraying on paint from the tractor store (TSC just opened up here locally). Valspar is the brand, I think.

I was eyeballing it for an upcoming project that I would actaully need to paint (due to the botch-job it has on it now).

Clem

Taiden
Taiden Dork
12/20/11 5:05 p.m.

Valspar is the brand that makes John Deere blitz black, for what it's worth

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
12/20/11 5:33 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Valspar is the brand that makes John Deere blitz black, for what it's worth

They also make house of kolor's high end automotive paint

Taiden
Taiden Dork
12/20/11 5:40 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I was wondering if anyone had any experience rolling or spraying on paint from the tractor store (TSC just opened up here locally). Valspar is the brand, I think. I was eyeballing it for an upcoming project that I would actaully need to paint (due to the botch-job it has on it now). Clem

Do they have real paint chips at TSC? I might look into this.

For some reason I want to do the e30 in this...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/valspar-tractor-amp-implement-high-gloss-enamel-international-harvester-white-1-gal--3449902

Merc
Merc New Reader
12/20/11 6:25 p.m.

That is interesting, how would it compare to the marine paints?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/21/11 11:19 a.m.

I actually stopped in last night on the way home...after posting the question...to take another look.

Looks like what they have in stock is factory-ish tractor colors. John Deere Green, Oliver Green, Jon Deere Yellow, Ford Blue, IH red, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if you could special order colors or not. If you want a tractor color, though...it's $35 for a gallon plus $15 for hardener...and then thinner, etc.

I have zero experience with this stuff...just brought it up out of curiousity.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
12/21/11 12:02 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks:

Another question- outside of the colors, are the paints the same? Exactly the same?

So can one take small parts, blend, and make different colors?

seems like it would be pretty easy to do. Take the IH red, blend a few different small amounts to it, and it's close to a dark Italian red. Or something like that.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
12/21/11 12:07 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Valspar is the brand that makes John Deere blitz black, for what it's worth

I've used both JD Blitz black and the Valspar low gloss black at tsc. I like the JD better as it is more of a matte look as opposed to the glossier valspar.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NprZMLgGcNVf6yudIBIDdh1Kh9hiFB756RwYVm5Df7psMQU5RGSWWxFoeZcI3l3s