1 2 3 4
wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/26/14 10:02 a.m.

I think you're putting way to much thought into this …. proof of ins, BoS, drive home (in a way to attract zero attention)

stan_d
stan_d Dork
4/27/14 7:11 a.m.

I always thought you had 10 days to transfer plates in indiana. I never had a second thought about using a plate for transfer with all assoiaceted paperwork.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
4/27/14 7:17 a.m.

It‘s 7 days after that you're charged an extra fee

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/27/14 10:47 a.m.

I'm not worried about registering it. The car will be in my posession for 16 days.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/14 8:20 a.m.

I know someone asked for pics...

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
4/29/14 8:21 a.m.

Nice score.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/14 8:29 a.m.

Yes, i am excited!

It was way closer to Challenge-legal money than you'd think.

I can't hardly wait to cannibalize it for parts and move it along to my buddy who is going to use it as an Exocet donor.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/29/14 8:46 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I drove my van home from North Carolina on the PO's plate and then sent it back when I got home.

Pretty much what I have done.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/14 8:49 a.m.

Car seems to have plates, so i'll probably just leave the expired NH plates on it and roll with BOS/POI.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/29/14 8:56 a.m.

No help to you, but since you seem to have your plan figured out I will share my anecdote:

I live in Illinois, and bought a trailer in Missouri. I called the Missouri DMV and Illinois DMV, and neither gave an option for a temporary license plate. I went down there, bought the trailer on a Saturday (MO DMV was closed by the time I got there anyways), and drove it back on Sunday. With the Miata front license plate on it, being towed by the Miata.

I figured that as long as my brake lights worked and there was a plate back there, they weren't going to pull me over unless I was speeding or on fire.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/14 11:18 a.m.

That looks too nice for an exocet donor.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/14 11:20 a.m.

Meh. It's a red Miata from New England. No care.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
4/29/14 12:20 p.m.

Worst comes to worst, take a piece of cardboard about the size of a license plate, write tag applied for, and keep your bill of sale, and proof of insurance with you. If you get pulled be respectful, not condescending or a dick.

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
4/29/14 12:55 p.m.

As a former State Trooper, I can tell you if you do either in Maryland and get stopped (stopped, break down, get in an accident - anything that involves outside intervention) you will win a free trip to jail! Tax payer funded towing of your car to the impound lot and a free appearance in front of the Commissioner at the detention center closest to the scene. You also win a dizzying array of fines to round out your package of stupidity.

Or go option 3 and rent a car dolly and do it legally.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/29/14 12:56 p.m.
bgkast wrote: That looks too nice for an exocet donor.
Swank Force One wrote: Meh. It's a red Miata from New England. No care.

You're asking the wrong guy for Miata sympathy.

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
4/29/14 1:15 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Datsun1500: And on your edit, it depends on how big of a prick your officer wants to be at that moment. You are traveling through his/her state. Therefore their rules.
That is not correct. Tint is not legal in Maryland, it's legal in Florida. If I'm driving a Florida tagged cars through Maryland, they can't pull me over for illegal tint and make me remove it. Maryland does not issue drive away plates for non residents, the same as Indiana. They also require an inspection before issuing tags, the same as Indiana. There is no way to get a plate before getting the car back. The requirements for transporting a newly purchased car from another State to Md is to drive back with the title, bill of sale, and insurance. If you do that, and hold a MD license, you are following the laws of the State that issued you license and you're fine. Some States do not require car insurance, Maryland requires it, you can not be cited for lack of insurance if you're passing through with a car that is legally tagged from a place that does not require it, no matter what Maryland law is.

Actually, in 2012 that changed. Maryland now allows 35% Visible Light Transmission tint. It is INCORRECT that you can operate a non-tagged motor vehicle in Maryland. You MUST obtain a 30 day tag to drive the car on our highways. Here is the section, "If the state where you acquired your vehicle does not offer a transport tag, you can obtain a Maryland 30 day temporary registration to use to transport your vehicle. You will be required to title and register the vehicle and pay all applicable fees including excise tax, title, lien recording (if applicable) and the temporary registration fee."

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/14 1:16 p.m.
bigfoot21075 wrote: As a former State Trooper, I can tell you if you do either in Maryland and get stopped (stopped, break down, get in an accident - anything that involves outside intervention) you will win a free trip to jail! Tax payer funded towing of your car to the impound lot and a free appearance in front of the Commissioner at the detention center closest to the scene. You also win a dizzying array of fines to round out your package of stupidity. Or go option 3 and rent a car dolly and do it legally.

This is the exact sort of thing i mentioned i'd like to avoid in the very first post. The irony. I has it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
4/29/14 2:44 p.m.
bigfoot21075 wrote: As a former State Trooper, I can tell you if you do either in Maryland and get stopped (stopped, break down, get in an accident - anything that involves outside intervention) you will win a free trip to jail! Tax payer funded towing of your car to the impound lot and a free appearance in front of the Commissioner at the detention center closest to the scene. You also win a dizzying array of fines to round out your package of stupidity.

So I guess we know why you're a FORMER state trooper. And they say "ignorance of the law is no defense". How does that apply to LEO's?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/29/14 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Nah, its just Maryland has a E36 M3load of crackpipe laws over motor vehicles and try to ping everyone on them. It was also the state that up until the last few years, wouldn't recognize any traffic offenses its citizens racked up in other states.....

Also, LEO's aren't expected know the laws, thats why they have little books with criminal code in them and then require prosecutor, judge, jury, and lawyers to figure out things from there.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
4/29/14 3:16 p.m.

But any DECENT LEO would know that the laws of your state do not apply to out of state people transitting the state. As long as those people are not breaking local to them laws, they have nothing to say about it. Unless they want to trump up some "resisting law enforcement" bullE36 M3 just to prove to you how big their dick is.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/29/14 3:43 p.m.

Maryland = Virginia = We're takin' all yo money.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
4/29/14 3:49 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote: Maryland = Virginia = We're takin' all yo money.

Not legally you're not. A Maryland or Virginia resident in your own state? Sure. An Indiana resident in your state? Nope. You cannot impose your vehicular laws on non-residents. Period.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
4/29/14 4:07 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Not legally you're not. A Maryland or Virginia resident in your own state? Sure. An Indiana resident in your state? Nope. You cannot impose your vehicular laws on non-residents. Period.

Do you have a source for that? Sounds plausible but I didn;t find anything with a quick googling.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/29/14 4:44 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Do you have a source for that? Sounds plausible but I didn;t find anything with a quick googling.

What our friend the ex-officer is saying is that you can't legally drive a new-to-you car through Maryland unless it has temp plates, or the plate goes with the car.

Which isn't the case. The state that matters is the state where it will be registered/titled in.

While i can't legally just slap another plate on with no other documentation, i CAN legally drive the car through any damn state i please in the US (Alaska and/or Hawaii might be tricky) with no plate during the allotted time my home state has given me.

Saying otherwise and "informing" me that i need to somehow get a temp plate from MARYLAND just for the privilige of driving through it is pretty much insane and incorrect.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
4/29/14 5:00 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:

Actually for VA, they will enforce your home state rules on an out of state vehicle traffic stop. BTDT.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dTr3krPQ117gJyWIWFHg3Ldy7lNAmSWdLcSYPlmTB0qPcFONY2D5OGhLrwOryXCW