ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
12/15/08 9:41 p.m.

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3532&desc=Suzuki%20suspends%20its%20WRC%20programme

Suzuki suspends its WRC programme

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/15/08 10:22 p.m.

Yeah, Subaru is too, apparently.

Luke
Luke Dork
12/15/08 10:28 p.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5110732/subaru-out-of-wrc-following-suzuki

Wow, Subaru, too. Didn't see that one coming. Not Subaru.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/15/08 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Luke:

Yeah, I guess they didn't like hearing that rally was going to the (not Honda) S2000 spec.

WRC aside, I still say that the Forrester was the beginning of the end for Subaru . There is absolutely NO reason to own one over an Outback, and several reasons to own an Outback instead.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt New Reader
12/15/08 10:39 p.m.

Mitsubishi was the first crack in the armor. I think/hope something will rise up to take the place of WRC, once it's gone.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/16/08 1:27 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to Luke: Yeah, I guess they didn't like hearing that rally was going to the (not Honda) S2000 spec. WRC aside, I still say that the Forrester was the beginning of the end for Subaru . There is absolutely NO reason to own one over an Outback, and several reasons to own an Outback instead.

...and ironically, it was the Outback that saved them from going under and revived them as a brand.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/16/08 2:50 a.m.

After seeing a forester get FTD at a local autocross punking out a gaggle of sti's in the process my reaction was "I want one of those" fortunatly my wife already wanted one so her next car will either be a forester or mazda3 yay for me.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/16/08 5:38 a.m.

Don't worry guys & gals - the fornetti14 motorsports program is still a go for '09.

I wonder what the Improved Touring fields will be like at club events this year?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/08 6:34 a.m.

This comment says it all:

pulloa said: Rally without Subaru is like Formula 1 without Ferrari.
ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
12/16/08 6:45 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: WRC aside, I still say that the Forrester was the beginning of the end for Subaru . There is absolutely NO reason to own one over an Outback, and several reasons to own an Outback instead.

I'll take that Pepsi challenge.

We just bought a Forester over a Legacy wagon. My wife hates Outbacks; she is smart enough to know it's just a Legacy with two tone paint and taller spring perches. For whatever reasons, the Legacy simply did not appeal to her. It apparently looks 'boring', whereas the Foz is boxy, quirky and I guess a bit tougher looking. From my viewpoint, it's the same damn car under the skin. The Legacy is merely a stretched version of the chassis. Once I yank the truck springs from under the Foz and replace them with WRX bits it will handle just as well and be a bit lighter than a Legacy. Also, judging by the huge numbers of Foresters I see on the road around here I'd say the marketing people are a bit smarter than you.

Now, if this was actually a criticism of the 2009 Forester compared to the rest of the line, perhaps there is something to the argument. I haven't bothered to look at them since they won't be a factor for us for another 5 years or so, but I have read some criticisms about them.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/16/08 6:52 a.m.

Wow. Subaru out. I hope it's only a rumor.

minimac
minimac Dork
12/16/08 7:48 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: I'll take that Pepsi challenge. We just bought a Forester over a Legacy wagon.... hates Outbacks;..... it's just a Legacy with two tone paint and taller spring perches. For whatever reasons, the Legacy..... looks 'boring', whereas the Foz is boxy, quirky and I guess a bit tougher looking. From my viewpoint, it's the same damn car under the skin. The Legacy is merely a stretched version of the chassis. Once I yank the truck springs from under the Foz and replace them with WRX bits it will handle just as well and be a bit lighter than a Legacy....blah,blah,blah.. Now, if this was actually a criticism of the 2009 Forester compared to the rest of the line, perhaps there is something to the argument. I haven't bothered to look at them since they won't be a factor for us for another 5 years or so, but I have read some criticisms about them.

I was about to do the same, but ddavidv beat me to it. The Forester is the same chassis as the Impreza, so all the STi/WRX parts are simple bolt-ons. While it may not be an issue right now, the Forester gets better gas mileage than an Outback, without giving up much,if any, space and/or comfort. It's also a little more "butch", so I don't look like a pharmaceutical salesman or a yuppish tree hugger when I'm driving. Not that there is anything wrong with that....

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/08 8:57 a.m.

There's a 100% STi-swapped Forrester that hangs out at PIR, that thing is MEAN! I love it!

Will
Will New Reader
12/16/08 9:32 a.m.

Confirmed. Subaru is out.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/16/08 10:12 a.m.

officially official...

unfortunately

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/08 10:34 a.m.

There's a Forester XT in the parking lot at Flyin' Miata. You have to respect a tall station wagon that'll burn all four wheels and still carry a month's groceries.

Suzuki bailing on WRC I can see. But Subaru! Amazing.

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
12/16/08 1:42 p.m.

A sad, sad day for this longtime rally enthusiast. Having seen "monster" Tajima (the Suzuki team principal) drive at Pikes Peak many times, I was kind of rooting for them in a couple of years. And Subie built their reputation (and a market for the WRX/STI) on WRC, as did Mitsubishi. There are still few things as thrilling as seeing a top rally car and driver on the limit through a sequence of tricky turns. Hopefully WRC will survive, but life at the top in motorsports in general is going to be really lean for a few years due to the lack of development and sponsor money.

On the other hand the near-future growth of motorsports may well be in more "grassroots-y" series such as Speed GT, the new TransAm, national-level stage rally and others.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/16/08 2:00 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to Luke: Yeah, I guess they didn't like hearing that rally was going to the (not Honda) S2000 spec. WRC aside, I still say that the Forrester was the beginning of the end for Subaru . There is absolutely NO reason to own one over an Outback, and several reasons to own an Outback instead.

This was several years ago, but at that time I looked at both. The Outback was $3-4000 more than the Forester similarly equipped, and IIRC, had less interior room.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/16/08 2:05 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Not to change the subject, although I guess I am, but with all the automotive turmoil, I wonder what's going to happen to NASCRAP. I don't follow it anymore, but I can't see the not-so-big three continuing to participate on a financial basis, if they are around at all. Anybody have a guess on the impact that will have on NASCAR?

ps - I have to admit that I love all forms of racing except NASCAR, so I look at the fall of NASCAR as a plus for all other forms of racing. Thus why I'm curious.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vwbvZkUX4aAaQhAU9fpkLCQNhz6VO3OIjZXw40MFJYxgtBulBcdJ2fWU22DIFyP5