1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 3:55 p.m.

Found on Pelican:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/584897-martini-racing-porsche-2-wheels.html

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/11/11 3:58 p.m.

time-trial bikes are overrated, but that is a kick ass paint job!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 4:21 p.m.

Nicely done!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 4:44 p.m.

That is a sweet paintjob!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/11/11 5:11 p.m.

This one is faster...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/11/11 5:11 p.m.

This one looks familiar!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/11/11 5:14 p.m.

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/11/11 5:14 p.m.

I like this on too.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/11 7:00 p.m.

Here's another from the same thread:

RossD
RossD Dork
1/11/11 8:08 p.m.

Wasnt there a big livery thread not to long ago?...

edit: found it... http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/favorite-racing-liveries/22899/page1/

924guy
924guy Dork
1/11/11 8:24 p.m.

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/11/11 8:26 p.m.

I suddenly have the urge to go paint a Martini stripe on the fender of my winter beater, Grand Sport style.

Edit:

cghstang
cghstang Reader
1/12/11 7:18 a.m.

What ever happened to the Martini Metro?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/12/11 8:46 a.m.

Another thread to make me thirstly.

A commentary- what's really interesting about this Martini paint scheme is that it appeals to so many people who seem quite happy to supply Martini free advertising.

They were sponsors of all of these race cars, and the paint reflects their product. So when you paint stuff like that, you are giving Martini free advertising. Well, unless they are giving you money.

But then again, people like to sticker their car with parts they bought, giving away free advertising, since it's "cool."

Keith
1/12/11 9:06 a.m.

In my case, the paint has more than paid for itself in terms of media attention.

At some point, the livery becomes separate from the brand that originated it. Some more than others - Gulf and Martini are the two big examples.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/12/11 9:46 a.m.

Paid as in money? Or paid in attention? Has Flying Miata's business gotten better thanks to the Martini advertising?

You have a point in how the livery has seemed to become more than just sponsorship. But it's still advertising. Without being paid by Bacardi, you are choosing to advertise one of their products for free. Well, not free- you did have to pay for the paint job or stickers.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
1/12/11 10:10 a.m.

Martini Livery > All others.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/12/11 10:53 a.m.

for fun...

Keith
1/12/11 12:14 p.m.

Paid as in media attention, which is exposure for the company. Has anyone called up and said "I'm buying this part because I like your paint job"? No. But the car has a high profile, in part because of the paint. I know of at least one magazine article that was instantly approved as soon as they saw the car. Would they have featured it anyhow? Maybe. But there was no hesitation.

It's true, I did have to buy some paint. But given that the car was 8 different colors when I started, I had to buy paint anyway. If Martini benefits from this, I'm fine with that. I have one of the best looking Miatas in the world. Everyone wins.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/11 12:19 p.m.

I don't even know what Martini is -- but I'd recognize their colour scheme anywhere . . .

Same too with JPS, or Marlboro, or the old Players colours. Thanks, Big Tobacco!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/12/11 12:50 p.m.
ZOO wrote: I don't even know what Martini is -- but I'd recognize their colour scheme anywhere . . . Same too with JPS, or Marlboro, or the old Players colours. Thanks, Big Tobacco!

http://www.martini.com/

If you look it up some more, you'll find that Martini is part of the Bacardi-Martini family. (Bacardi, Martini, Grey Goose, Dewars, Bombay, Eristoff, and Cazadores plus a bunch of other lables) Not that its important, but in this age of information, one could see "hey, that's a Martini car- I need to look that up on my phone".

Keith- see, that's what I find interesting- that advertising for someone else on your dollar is cool. It's one of those quirks I've seen in the motorsports area that I just find fascinating.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/12/11 1:11 p.m.

In the US their most recongnize product is the Sparkeling Wine, Martini and Rossi Asti Spumanti.
Internationally, their fame comes from a dry vermouth that when mixed with Gin and an olive became their namesake drink, The Martini.
Yeah, that is where that comes from.

Keith
1/12/11 2:44 p.m.

alfa, it's not just cool. It's effective. So it's not just advertising for them. It's working for us as well.

Seems to me there were a lot of Ford GTs in the Gulf colors

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/12/11 2:57 p.m.

Yea, we've sold our share of GT's with Gulf colors.

Still...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
1/12/11 3:42 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: A commentary- what's really interesting about this Martini paint scheme is that it appeals to so many people who seem quite happy to supply Martini free advertising.

I would bet that a solid 87% of the people who recognize Martini livery on sight don't even know what Martini makes, let alone get influenced enough to buy a bottle. So what good is free "advertising" like that?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZKSXjKufHQXzSvlMr6ZkfosI2sdKN6PGA6Lxi0MF5JagRWJ3Oocoa60VLUqESjjL