Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/4/13 7:07 a.m.

93 MR2 with supercharged V6 swap

"I have up for Auction a very well built swapped 93' Toyota Mr2.. The car started life as a factory 93' Turbo with 5-speed, LSD, AC, Power windows, locks, cruise, etc. all still in great working condition. The car has 123k original miles on the chassis and roughly 80k on the drivetrain..

The car has been swapped with a toyota camry 1MZ-FE V6 and a TRD Supercharger running 6lbs. of Boost, Cold air intake with K&N filter, stainless steel headers, and a custom catted duel 2.5" magnaflow exhaust system. It really sounds incredible..

Also this car was featured in the February 2013 issue of Grassroots motorsports magazine.."

berkeley. How much are plane tix to Colorado??

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
12/4/13 7:19 a.m.

Don't forget the MZ's oiling issues.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
12/4/13 7:28 a.m.

Cool car, I'm curious to see what it goes for.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
12/4/13 7:35 a.m.

My guess is that will go for close to $8-9k, 2nd gen cars with shiny paint tend to be expensive. If you get it, remember that the engine is for DDing, not racing. GRM and I both found that out the hard way

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/4/13 9:53 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Don't forget the MZ's oiling issues.

Still thrashing my 235k unopened 1MZ on track regularly. Nothing but an Accusump. Obviously YMMV, and these engines are cheap and readily available.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
12/4/13 10:14 a.m.

I was looking at an ad for a second gen MR2 the other day and wondering how it would do as a Challenge car. It wasn't a turbo so I was assuming that an engine swap would be in order.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 10:20 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I was looking at an ad for a second gen MR2 the other day and wondering how it would do as a Challenge car. It wasn't a turbo so I was assuming that an engine swap would be in order.

For a Challenge car, you'd just throw some slicks at it, and a 100 or 135-ish progressive shot of nitrous.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/4/13 10:44 a.m.

I need to track down one of those superchargers for my Avalon.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
12/4/13 10:49 a.m.
Tyler H wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Don't forget the MZ's oiling issues.

Still thrashing my 235k unopened 1MZ on track regularly. Nothing but an Accusump. Obviously YMMV, and these engines are cheap and readily available.

My take is that the engine appears to have small oil passages that can get gummed up easily by neglecting oil change intervals. That's strictly a guess on my part, though.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
12/4/13 10:54 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
Tyler H wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Don't forget the MZ's oiling issues.

Still thrashing my 235k unopened 1MZ on track regularly. Nothing but an Accusump. Obviously YMMV, and these engines are cheap and readily available.

My take is that the engine appears to have small oil passages that can get gummed up easily by neglecting oil change intervals. That's strictly a guess on my part, though.

That, and I think (judging by varied levels of racing success) that the castings may be somewhat incosistent in terms of those critical oil passages.

carbon
carbon Reader
12/4/13 5:51 p.m.

That looks like an awesome car for relatively short money. I wish I was in a position to bid on it right now.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/4/13 6:12 p.m.

Location is really the only thing holding me back.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/4/13 7:25 p.m.
NONACK wrote:
jstein77 wrote:
Tyler H wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Don't forget the MZ's oiling issues.

Still thrashing my 235k unopened 1MZ on track regularly. Nothing but an Accusump. Obviously YMMV, and these engines are cheap and readily available.

My take is that the engine appears to have small oil passages that can get gummed up easily by neglecting oil change intervals. That's strictly a guess on my part, though.

That, and I think (judging by varied levels of racing success) that the castings may be somewhat incosistent in terms of those critical oil passages.

Mine came out of a 97, but the formula seems to be the 3mz engine, 1mz vvt-i harness and computer, and build an adapter for cable throttle, the lighter/cheaper/easier to fit S54 transmission out of the NA MR2...and an Accusump. Credit to Bill Strong for posting their recipe for multiple podiums and overall wins in Chumpcar. I'm going to try this next if/when I kill the 1MZ.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/6/13 7:08 a.m.

At $6800 it's already above the reserve........

GLSg3PsWDfQIo9NGuXEudY4PV81CWwHi