1 2
ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/9/14 8:39 a.m.

I have narrowed the search for another car down to these two automobiles. Which would you think will suit me better? I say I want to do some HPDE's, but I'm also a realist. Spending hundreds on open tracking when I can spend 40 or 50 on an autocross seems more my speed. So what I'm looking for is a "fun" car that can easily worked on and/or upgraded. Car will be driven to work on sunny (not winter) days and spirited country drives.

I'm leaning towards the MX-6 due to the fun factor of boost, and the simplicity of a late 80s/early 90s car. They also seem to hold up forever. The quality of Mazda just seems better on a 27 year old car than a 15 year old Ford.

Thoughts?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 8:49 a.m.

I'd agree.

The only kicker is that as strange as this sounds, it seems to be easier to find a nice CSVT than a nice MX6 GT these days. But you'll pay more.

I also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the MX6 gets better gas mileage, and is faster in every situation for less money. It'll also be lighter. And lighter is good.

I know this is from the keyboard of an MX6 GT fanboi, BUT: I also really like CSVTs.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/9/14 8:51 a.m.

Having owned an MX-6, if your up north, they do rust a bit more. But plus 1 on Mazdas being impossible to kill short of high explosive ordinace. Personally, the SVT is a little less nimble in my experience, so based upon your desire to auto cross, it might be a bit better to go with the MX-6. However, as a daily, the SVT is a much better car.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/9/14 9:01 a.m.

There is one thing for certain. I will never. I repeat NEVER buy another car north of the NC/VA border ever again. See my failed Focus SVT thread in the builds section. I also will not drive it during the salty winter unless I have to.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/9/14 9:09 a.m.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4413977077.html

Interesting.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 9:17 a.m.

What you've done here in terms of daily driving, is forced us to make a decision against two of the best seats ever put in FWD cars throughout all of history.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/9/14 9:35 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote: There is one thing for certain. I will never. I repeat NEVER buy another car north of the NC/VA border ever again. See my failed Focus SVT thread in the builds section. I also will not drive it during the salty winter unless I have to.

Now you know why my NB Miata will be an exocet build or a chumpc ar before I dump money into it. And it is orders of magnitude cleaner than your Focus SVT was. Thankfully, Winter beater is an excuse for another car!

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/9/14 9:37 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: What you've done here in terms of daily driving, is forced us to make a decision against two of the best seats ever put in FWD cars throughout all of history.

The SVT Contour as a whole is a fantastic package. I could ahve picked one up needing a motor but otherwise perfect for $350 a couple of years ago, low mileage, perfect shape. Sadly, the guy ended up crushing the thing whole because he got tired of it sitting around.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/9/14 11:21 a.m.

IIRC the SVTs have some oiling issues during sustained high speed cornering...might not work out well in an HPDE environment.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/9/14 11:26 a.m.

Mazda. No doubt.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
4/9/14 11:26 a.m.

Miata?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/9/14 11:38 a.m.

i don't care if there's some measurement by which the CSVT is a better car, i greatly prefer the stupid simple unbreakable character of the MX-6.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 11:40 a.m.

The motor in my MX6 apparently swallowed some rather large chunks of turbo years ago. I had no idea until i took the head off and saw one of the uglier bottom ends i've ever seen in a running car.

It ran like a berkeleying top. F2T don't give a berkeley.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/9/14 12:21 p.m.

Had a Miata. Wasn't for me. Too cramped, no power, hard to see out of, etc. Still was hard to sell.

Well, you guys just re-made up my mind. F2T all things. Can I be part of Team Swank Force?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
4/9/14 12:21 p.m.

It's funny how for its day, the MX6 GT had its share of techno-gee-wiz gimcracks: Available 4WS, auto-adjusting and driver-adjustable suspension, available digital gauge cluster, steering effort adjustable via "secret switch," power-occilating vents, turbo...

And now we call it "stupid simple unbreakable."

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
4/9/14 12:24 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote: Had a Miata. Wasn't for me. Too cramped, no power, hard to see out of, etc. Still was hard to sell. Well, you guys just re-made up my mind. F2T all things. Can I be part of Team Swank Force?

Yay! Now you just gotta find one.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/9/14 12:27 p.m.

I told Seth I'd look at this car for him, but I may end up scooping it up for myself. (Sorry Seth)

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4348559169.html

I just can't see paying much more than $2200 or $2300 max. Thoughts?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 12:32 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: It's funny how for its day, the MX6 GT had its share of techno-gee-wiz gimcracks: Available 4WS, auto-adjusting and driver-adjustable suspension, available digital gauge cluster, steering effort adjustable via "secret switch," power-occilating vents, turbo... And now we call it "stupid simple unbreakable."

Well the thing is.... those things didn't break.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 12:33 p.m.
ScreaminE wrote: I told Seth I'd look at this car for him, but I may end up scooping it up for myself. (Sorry Seth) http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4348559169.html I just can't see paying much more than $2200 or $2300 max. Thoughts?

Under $2500 is where i'd be shooting with that car.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/9/14 12:48 p.m.
CrashDummy wrote: IIRC the SVTs have some oiling issues during sustained high speed cornering...might not work out well in an HPDE environment.

Yes they do, I found out the hard way. Keep the oil level at the top mark of the dip stick and all should be well.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
4/9/14 12:51 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: It's funny how for its day, the MX6 GT had its share of techno-gee-wiz gimcracks: Available 4WS, auto-adjusting and driver-adjustable suspension, available digital gauge cluster, steering effort adjustable via "secret switch," power-occilating vents, turbo... And now we call it "stupid simple unbreakable."

you know you're right. i was just thinking about the drivetrain.

i still remember the guy who kept losing against my 5.4 P71 in his death-trap of an $500 MX-6. He finally said to hell with it and unplugged his wastegate. That did it.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/9/14 1:07 p.m.

The best thing about the csvt is that a half liter bump in displacement is a simple trip to any junkyard away.

Also, since the fiesta still uses 4x108 pattern, you still have a bunch of wheel options. The csvt would be a natural progression for me, but they just don't match the sounds the sho makes.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/9/14 1:23 p.m.

If you want the uglier and heavier version: http://smd.craigslist.org/cto/4414470510.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/14 1:30 p.m.

Contours can and will eat their hearts in sustained cornering. It happened to my brother's car.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/9/14 1:32 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: If you want the uglier and heavier version: http://smd.craigslist.org/cto/4414470510.html

Heck no.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uetv1fHzdq13VNkpvqfD4f8y7AXCuSjOEEpGWKsbOXEXXwn9k8YdM18c4bp3WdgT