z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
Nov. 25, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Since I'm looking at 06-09 V8 4Runners as a tow rig, do they share any of the same frame problems as the Tacoma/Tundra had?

I haven't found anything on it, so I'm assuming not, but figured the brain trust here would know.

Cotton SuperDork
Nov. 25, 2013 1:47 p.m.

what about suspension issues?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/anyone-heard-of-foreign-market-4-runner-suspension/50235/page1/

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
Nov. 25, 2013 2:21 p.m.

I'd think a 99% on-road and towing a trailer won't even begin to even come close to even approaching (like my embellishment) the kind of stress those guys are putting on a truck.

Fletch1 HalfDork
Nov. 25, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Good question and I've been trying to find out too. I do know Tacoma's are built in the US using frames from DANA corp, or use to anyway. 4Runners are built in Japan. I THINK I read where they are different. I have heard of frame rot in the 3rd gen's, but not 4th gen's. I am going to do more research.

oldtin UltraDork
Nov. 25, 2013 2:28 p.m.

My 2007 frame is pretty chunky steel. I think the frame issues were up to about 2002.

motomoron SuperDork
Nov. 25, 2013 4:05 p.m.

My '05 is spotless underneath - a little surface rust on the bare metal stuff but the chassis is all original black paint. My '02 Tacoma looked very good as well.

All of this said, I looked at an '05 4Runner which looked as though the chassis was about to fold up and dump the body in the road. The outsides of the frame rails had been crudely shot w/ rattle can undercoat. Shady car and at a wierd, shady used car lot.

Bring a flashlight and look underneath first. Any signs of recent rattle can undercoat over rust, run.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
Nov. 25, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Hmm, that's going to make it interesting for me then.

Since your original update a few weeks ago, essentially it looks like I'm going to need to travel to find the 4Runner I want.

06-09, with ~40k miles. There is just nothing around me and hasn't been for awhile. I also want a southern car to help with any rust issues.

I'd really like this car to be my DD/Tow rig for the next 5-7 years once I get one.

irish44j UberDork
Nov. 25, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Ditto on my 08. Frame is perfect, and I see no evidence that it is the "sandwiched layers" construction that the Tacos had. It's clearly solid steel. Mine does a lot of winter duty in particular, and there's very little rust on the underside at all. As with anything, severe duty can screw things up, as can a lot of road salt and never cleaning it. But overall I've never heard of any 4G 4Runners having significant frame issues.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
Nov. 25, 2013 4:37 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Ditto on my 08. Frame is perfect, and I see no evidence that it is the "sandwiched layers" construction that the Tacos had. It's clearly solid steel. Mine does a lot of winter duty in particular, and there's very little rust on the underside at all. As with anything, severe duty can screw things up, as can a lot of road salt and never cleaning it. But overall I've never heard of any 4G 4Runners having significant frame issues.

That is great news. From all my research, I'm just not really finding any negatives about this truck.

The flip side is, why is the resale value so low compared to it's capabilities.....I guess that's what makes wonder a bit.

irish44j UberDork
Nov. 25, 2013 5:11 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
irish44j wrote: Ditto on my 08. Frame is perfect, and I see no evidence that it is the "sandwiched layers" construction that the Tacos had. It's clearly solid steel. Mine does a lot of winter duty in particular, and there's very little rust on the underside at all. As with anything, severe duty can screw things up, as can a lot of road salt and never cleaning it. But overall I've never heard of any 4G 4Runners having significant frame issues.

That is great news. From all my research, I'm just not really finding any negatives about this truck.

The flip side is, why is the resale value so low compared to it's capabilities.....I guess that's what makes wonder a bit.

it is? Ours KBB/Edmunds has it at about $18k retail value. We paid a shade under $27k for it almost 6 years ago. That's not too bad in my book.

But I suspect that the 4th gen values went down when the 5th gen came out, probably.

What resale values are you seeing on them? They certainly seem to hold their value around here on CL.

As to downsides....there are some, but not many.

Sportedition seats are pretty flat and not great.

Interior is not terribly spacious compared to pretty much any unibody SUV.

Stock stereo system is sucky.

Stock tires are dreadful (if you buy one with Dunlop AT20s, change them out before you try to take it anywhere that has snow/ice/mud/deep standing water.)

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
Nov. 25, 2013 6:05 p.m.

At least to me, it doesn't seem to hard to find a V8 with around 50k miles in great shape for $20k or less. And that's one with some options, not just a base model.

Just seems like a lot of truck for the money.

oldtin UltraDork
Nov. 25, 2013 6:06 p.m.

I haven't looked at resale - I think we'll drive ours another 100k or so before we think about it much.

SE seats are also flat

Gas mileage is very truckish - 17-18 with a v8 and full time 4wd

Ditto on stock tires - the bridgestones were as bad as the dunlops.

irish44j UberDork
Nov. 25, 2013 6:19 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Ditto on stock tires - the bridgestones were as bad as the dunlops.

Bridgestone Dueller Revo2's (NOT the stock Bridgestones) totally transform the vehicle into good-riding, good-handling, quieter, and WAY better mud and winter traction. Should be the first mod for any 4Runner, IMO.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

17 hours ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

23 hours ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

1 day ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

2 days ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

2 days ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

2 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

2 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Vintage Views: Classic Mini

5 days ago in Articles

Turn heads, have jolly good fun.

You Need This: Toyota With Rally Pedigree

5 days ago in News

Who can say no to a turbocharger and all-wheel drive?

Join Our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In at Pacific Grove on Tuesday, August 15

5 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

You Need This: J. Geils's Maserati Sebring, Some Assembly Required

6 days ago in News

A rock star project will be auctioned off in Monterey next week.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
64AhjV3u5Ie57i5KX0oWOnGjEL0Pd20V