1 2
ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
7/4/19 3:30 p.m.

1998-1998 Mercedes E300 have one of the best turbo diesel engines they ever produced.  Tons of W210 cars in boneyards and E55 pieces are common and bolt up.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/9/19 7:00 a.m.

I think I may have caught the current incarnation of the cooling gremlin in a picture...

So, the Buick may be back together for a while, if it's a clogged radiator like it appears. But thanks for the suggestions - there were a few that I had been thinking may not work that are worth a second look, like the Versa, and it's good to hear some of the cars I've considered are on the right track. We have a few SN95 Mustangs sitting around the shop - unfortunately, while they have plenty of room in front, I'm not sure I'll be able to get the kids in the back seat of a coupe, and convertibles have an even smaller seat.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/9/19 7:36 a.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

What version Focus did you have?

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/9/19 7:50 a.m.

8th Gen Si could be a good option. Cloth seats, limited slip, revs out to 8k all day long. Reliable and good A/C. The coupes should be in that price range, maybe even some sedans.

I would love to have one and do a mild intake/header/exhaust/tune for all the VTEC rawrs lol

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/19 7:57 a.m.

Of course, there is always "The Answer" 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
7/9/19 4:11 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

In reply to OldGray320i :

What version Focus did you have?

2012 hatch, 5sp, ran it with Vogtland springs, Ford handling pack struts/shocks (I removed the rubber spring isolaters in the front), a Steeda rear bar, and 17x7.5 cheapo Discount Tire/Drag wheels on 235/45s (I think; whatever aspect ratio got a stock diameter). 

I had an Injen intake on it too.  If you use a universal filter on the end instead of the little splash shield/filter that comes with it, it's only mildly louder than stock at pt (louder at wot, but worth it imo) and gives a nice bump at the top end (not huge, but noticeable).  Use a little foam to seal the edge on the smaller intake hose or the obc doesn't calc millage correctly. 

That car was a LOT of fun to drive like that.  I only sold it because Miata as DD.

I miss that car. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/19 8:44 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:
MadScientistMatt said:

Thanks for the responses so far. How are Fits on the highway? I was concerned something of that size and shape would get blown around.

It seems a bit challenging to find good Q35s here, so those had kind of been off my radar.

The Fit, in addition to getting blown around on the highway has pretty quick steering which makes it fun for tossing it around on surface streets and pretty busy on the highway. Also it's turning darn near 4k rpm at 80mph which combined with the wind noise gets tiresome after a while. It's a fun car in it's segment with tons of room inside. It would be very low on my list for a highway commuter.

IF one was going to make a fit work as a highway commuter I would pull the carpet and door cards and add more insulation in the form of dynamt in key spots on the doors and extra material of any kind under the ca

these would help cut down the intrior noise which is the big gripe I had with mine. 

the stereo occasionally had trouble being above the older asphalt roar in Houston. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/19 8:45 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Every time i hear about a Rondo/kia here.. i think of this commerical with the choir/cult singing.. 

morello159
morello159 Reader
7/10/19 7:20 a.m.

I'm 6'3 and put about 75 miles a day commuting in a first gen Mazda 3s hatch (2.3 engine, 5 speed). I loved that car. Punchy, fun little engine. The prior owner put a mazdaspeed catback on it which gave it a little growl. I paid $4000 for it with 80k miles from a sketchy used car place in Atlanta and sold it with 110k a year and some later for the the same. I put a set of Koni FSD shocks on it and it instantly became the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven over our E36 M3 roads and handled great. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
28dEyECTkZYhQubJMw80BGxfeC7fvFVARFN1NGOXv5fvBCCjknwNWyyf3LP9U1kz