rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/6/19 9:40 p.m.

1998 S10.  Same one from before.  Got the calipers changed out, put in new rubber hoses and a new master cylinder.  SWMBO helped me bleed them.  However, I had one of the rubber lines on upside down, so she was just pumping fluid out and pulling air in....

Picked up a vacuum bleeder this morning and pulled the air out of the driver's front, but wasn't able to pull it out of the passenger front.  Did another hand bleed and no bubbles.  However, the pedal is firm when it's off, but goes to the floor when the truck's running.  I'm concerned I have air in the ABS.  Watched a video about bleeding off the ABS, but the pedal didn't drop when I opened one side and the other side doesn't have the brass center thing.

I'm going to do a full vacuum bleed on each wheel this week to see if I can get some brakes back.  Now to my questions:

Does anyone rent a scan tool to cycle and purge the ABS or is it one of those expensive tools that only shops can afford?  Would it be a bad idea to pull the ABS fuse to see if I can get it to stop?  I ask because I thought about taking it to a shop and just pay for a bleed, but right now, it only stops if I pump the brakes about 10 times in 1/2 a second.  But, if I can get it to stop without the ABS, that would help. 

Any other suggestions on getting the air out?  Of course, I'm now worried that I've buggered up the brake booster or something.  I kinda wish someone rented a pressure bleeder, that might be a better option.

He's taken mom's car back to school, but I want to get mom her car back.

-Rob

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/6/19 9:47 p.m.

ABS should cycle with every key on....

outasite
outasite HalfDork
10/7/19 8:06 a.m.

Did you bleed the m/cylinder first?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/7/19 9:15 a.m.
outasite said:

Did you bleed the m/cylinder first?

Yes, I did a bench bleed of the master cylinder. 

Ranger50:  So, do you think cycling the truck on and off a few times might get any air bubbles out?

-Rob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6DEdZuOQ1IBPXDJK0Uo5pJpdQe5jHNO7ZA5iedptsZc6fvaXcH6aBUUHXf5ptd2