donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/9/19 12:28 a.m.

in the next 6 months or so we're looking for a new (to us) car... budget will be around $15k

currently our family toaster is a 3rd gen prius, it's not going anywhere as it's perfect for the wife's commute but they kids have grown a good bit in the last few years.

my son is skinny but about 6'3 at this point and has a few inches to grow and highway trips have become a bit more cramped.... thankfully my daughter is one gowning lol.

I'm thinking a sedan, something with a good bit of rear seat legroom, ideally it would have dual zone front climate control and I'd really like to have smart cruise control... I figure anything that has this will have a decent trunk anyway and most will fit my large 6'4 body up front and my wifes 6'2 person as well lol... 

It looks like the passat has one of the best rear legroom options as does the 2018 and newer accord... what else out there fits adult size people without being cramped?

thanks guys

mark

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
12/9/19 6:52 a.m.

Let's see:

Sedan

$15k

New-ish tech like ACC

Fits human giants

As a big guy myself, zee Germans are usually the way to go to get a comfy car. They build for big people.

Anyway since this is GRM I'm going to suggest getting the nicest Golf Sportwagen you can find, or, barring that, the nicest E-Klasse or Volvo S/V 60.

Edit: drive the Accord too. I find my Honda's to have an almost laughably small amount of driver legroom.

Edit: I forgot, get the best Lexus LS you can find!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/9/19 7:07 a.m.

Avalon might be a good call, plenty of legroom and more tech than you'd get in a Camry. They seem to depreciate quicker than a Camry, as well.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/19 7:13 a.m.

late-model Impala.  it might crush your soul, but it will probably run forever

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/9/19 7:36 a.m.

The Avalon is probably a great choice because starting in 2005 they began offering and adaptive cruise control on the most loaded model, the Limited.  Also included on the Limited is reclining rear seats!  

Spotters guide:

The black box next to the passenger side fog light is the sensor for the cruise.  Notice that the right side does not have the same box.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOG8P-0IUzU

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
12/9/19 8:25 a.m.
John Welsh said:

The Avalon is probably a great choice because starting in 2005 they began offering and adaptive cruise control on the most loaded model, the Limited.  Also included on the Limited is reclining rear seats!  

Spotters guide:

The black box next to the passenger side fog light is the sensor for the cruise.  Notice that the right side does not have the same box.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOG8P-0IUzU

This is the best answer. Forgot about the ol stretched Camry. +1 if you can get it in Old Gold.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/9/19 8:38 a.m.

I will always recommend the Avalon, and I'm not even a Toyota fan.  $15k will buy you a very nice one that's not even very old.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
12/9/19 9:27 a.m.

I'm gonna add  long wheelbase Lexus LS to the Avalon.  I think either one of those is a fantastic option for trying to put tall people in the rear seats of a non-suv/van.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/9/19 10:17 a.m.

We have had Lexus LS since 97, all gen. The ES actually is much cheaper and has more legroom. Though I will never own an ES, for someone looking for rear legroom, thats the way to go.  Otherwise, our LS600hL is fantastic!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/9/19 11:00 a.m.

Mazda 6? The newest generation is a great car, very comfy, and knocks down great MPG for a car it's size. 

*I have no idea what they cost used and such.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/9/19 11:17 a.m.

‘87 4wd Suburbans have adaptive cruise control- you set the cruise, and everyone else adapts or they get run over... ;-)

If you like American RWD stuff, the Charger and 300 are pretty roomy. Ford Flex for SUV/wagonish styling, or the Nissan Altima if you can find one in your price range. Lots of good options out there...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/9/19 12:14 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Mazda 6? The newest generation is a great car, very comfy, and knocks down great MPG for a car it's size. 

I would think that rear seat size is not up to par on the 6.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/9/19 12:47 p.m.
Duke said:
z31maniac said:

I would think that rear seat size is not up to par on the 6.

Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm short and I never sat in the backseat. Just a suggestion as I was very impressed with my ex-wife's '15 Mazda 6.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/9/19 12:58 p.m.
Vigo said:

I'm gonna add  long wheelbase Lexus LS to the Avalon.  I think either one of those is a fantastic option for trying to put tall people in the rear seats of a non-suv/van.

This. End thread.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
12/9/19 1:42 p.m.

Mazda 6 gets my vote. You can get one in a manual trans up until 17 or 18 I believe. 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/9/19 3:56 p.m.

manual trans as much as I want one prob won't happen... wife can't drive and has little desire to drive one... plus I live in Houston... which has some of the worst traffic in the US and I side gig doing uber sometimes so that could get old lol... but a "toy" isn't too far down the road so I'm not too woried about that.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
12/9/19 4:09 p.m.

the Infinity M series cars may be a good option. They seem to have a tall enough roof line to fit giants like you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_M

The Lexus options are cool too

I always thought the Ford Flex would be a cool family car if you need that much space but a friend had E36 M3ty luck with the 3.5 turbo in his  

the mazda6 is pretty awesome as well. Or maybe something from Cadillac?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/9/19 7:25 p.m.

Hyundai Azera and the Kia Cadenza. Hugenormous leg room and first cheap prices. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
12/9/19 7:35 p.m.

Are Genesis sedans coming down in that price range yet?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
12/9/19 8:13 p.m.

How much are Q70L 5.6 L?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3yg68KYddWzQ6P1iUCPV18zAyyH0HUYf61pH8i2FjNdqM8WbQGkApgJ43TlUHLQ8