nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
12/15/13 10:14 p.m.

Coming of driving age in a place where frequent snow's were common I am well aware of the benefits of actual snow tires. Now however, I live several hours south of the mason/dixon and by my recollection we may get two or three dustings a year and maybe one snow event of 1" or more. Of course that one freak event is always possible, but seeing as how they close schools if snow is even forecast it's likely the city will be shut down and I won't need to leave the house.

So let's say I wanted to run dedicated summer and winter tires. Would winter "performance" tires still hold an advantage over appropriately sized all seasons in mostly dry cold weather due to the compound? What about in the wet?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/15/13 10:15 p.m.

Yes and yes, whether or not its worth it is up for debate.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/15/13 10:23 p.m.

I'm in Louisville KY and my current DD is a much modified Volvo V70t on all season Continentals. For what I get here right now it's enough for me. If global warming happens and worse winters become common I'll go to dedicated snows.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
12/15/13 10:52 p.m.

yes and yes.

A performance winter (I have used Wintersport M3, Wintersport 3D, and Blizzak LM-22, personally) is FAR superior to all-seasons in snow/ice - even A/S tires that are rated highly for winter, like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (which I've owned also).

There's no comparison at all with snow/ice/slush on the roads, but the winter tires are even superior in grip by a good margin on dry roads at sub-freezing temperatures, since even dry roads have ice crystals in the cracks and don't provide the grip of dry roads above freezing. The compounds in the winter tires still grips better.

Performance winter tires, in my opinion, are better in rain and standing water than A/S tires in any season, but especially in winter when the rain may be borderline freezing and/or slush. Larger evacuation slots in the tread, siping, etc. All are superior for traction.

The nice part is that most performance winter tires are pretty comparable even in warmer weather driving to most A/S tires (aside from ultra-high-performance A/S tires, which are superior in hot/dry conditions), and they don't really wear all that much.

Like you, I'm on the Mason-Dixon vicinity (northern Va.) and only drive on snow/ice a few days per year. I put my Wintersport 3Ds on at the beginning of November and take them of mid-March usually. I'm on season 4 with the current set (on a tuned WRX that eats tires), and they're still at 70% tread! And I drive them every bit as hard as I drive my performance summer set.

Cliffs: a high-performance summer is better than an A/S in the summer. a high-performance winter is better than an A/S in the winter. The added cost is only for the 2nd set of wheels, since you're still getting the same amoutn of total tire miles using 2 sets seasonally vs 1 set. Buy some cheap wheels for winter, do the change, have the best tires for both seasons of the year.

Just my 2 cents. I'll never buy an A/S tire again for a daily driver, personally.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/13 10:49 a.m.

irish nailed it. FWIW, i love my Dunlop Wintersport 3D's. best winter tire i've ever used, in 20 years of michigan winter driving.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/16/13 11:07 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: ...If global warming happens and worse winters become common I'll go to dedicated snows.

Eh...nevermind.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
12/16/13 6:26 p.m.

Nicksta, If I was in your situation I would run 4 chains or snow socks rather than ponying up for a separate set of tires.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
12/16/13 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Mmadness:

I'm not worried about the snow, the question was if performance winter tires out preformed all seasons in cold temps on dry or wet pavement. I'll take irish's post as the winner.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
12/17/13 10:38 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: In reply to Mmadness: I'm not worried about the snow, the question was if performance winter tires out preformed all seasons in cold temps on dry or wet pavement. I'll take irish's post as the winner.

Sorry wbout that, I should have read more carefully. Back to the real question, Car and Driver ran an article on this: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2009-winter-tire-test-comparison-tests

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aPXlvXwwhvcN8AtD3bHI7B7WYa2qSjuh6sXi11nlwhygMT8yUllOQMIafldP2clW