1 2
therieldeal
therieldeal New Reader
1/17/19 11:52 a.m.

I’ve been looking, but not seeing anything.

Like many of you I’m sure, I’m hoping for some xxxtra wide miata-size RE71R’s.  If that doesn’t happen I’m likely going straight to A7’s this year…

It would also be interesting to see Hoosier/Continental enter the 200TW segment, at some point.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/19 12:13 p.m.

I am also waiting with my wallet trembling slightly...

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/17/19 12:47 p.m.

I haven’t heard about anything new coming out, most have been recently refreshed.  

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/17/19 1:58 p.m.

I wish the RE71R would come out in 245/40R15. I have to run the BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5s, because that's about the only choice in that size, and I'm really not blown away by them

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/19 9:20 a.m.

We need new RE71R's. What's it been like 3-4 years? 

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
1/18/19 1:16 p.m.

It seems like there was some new hot tire every year for a while and things have now gone static.

Probably for the best, it was getting a bit out of hand there.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
1/18/19 2:04 p.m.

BFG just released the Rival S 1.5 in the big 18" sizes, those are supposed to be on their way to distributors now. 

Nothing really game changing as they were sort of the only playing in the 315-335 CAM sizes anyways.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
1/18/19 2:13 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

I just saw that too. Stinks since I have a fresh set of the standard Rival S sitting in the spare bedroom. Looks like I’ll be buying 2 set of tires this year!

StillNoCones
StillNoCones New Reader
1/22/19 2:46 p.m.

Maxxis has new sizes and a new compound for their 200 tw VR-1 tire. They also have a 245 R15 option. GRM tested the S1 compound I think a few years ago.

Nankang is bringing a 200 tw version of the NS2-R to the US early this year, but details on a release date are pretty scarce. Supposed to be a good midfield competitor. I learned of the tire through their Instagram page surprisingly.

Federal Tires is releasing a 595Pro tire that is supposed to be a big step up from the 595 RS-RR, but again details are scarce and the most info is on their instagram page.

Zestino Tires (big in Canada & drifiting) have a larger presence in the US with their Gredge 07R 240tw tire but I havent found any credible tire tests on how they compare to the 200tw offerings.

As far as the 'big' brands go, seems like most have no new major changes for this year. Im looking to run a R15 225 / 205 stagger for autox and my best bet seems to be Rivals, but I'm looking for all the new options out there too. If Federal releases the 595Pro at a great price and close enough performance to the Rivals i might go with them.

Javelin
1/22/19 3:21 p.m.

In reply to StillNoCones :

Good info, thanks!

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/22/19 3:59 p.m.

I'd love to see GRM dive in and tire test some of the "second tier" stuff for the budget racer.  We all know RE-71's will likely be the top dog, I just want to know how close some of the cheaper competition is. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/22/19 4:43 p.m.
kazoospec said:

I'd love to see GRM dive in and tire test some of the "second tier" stuff for the budget racer.  We all know RE-71's will likely be the top dog, I just want to know how close some of the cheaper competition is. 

I would too, just picked up some 15x8 for the Miata; not sure if I'll daily what I put on them (205s, for sure), but/and I figure I'll eat through my current 195s by spring, so I'll be in the market soon. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/22/19 6:29 p.m.

Where you guys getting best deal on the 205/225 rivals?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/19 10:02 p.m.

I've seen nothing to suggest bridgestone is going after wider 15" sizes. 

like Klodkrawler said new sizes for the Rival S 1.5, but looks like that's about it.

i've been running stones for price, but I may swap to BFG's this year. We'll see. 

Mustang50
Mustang50 New Reader
1/23/19 12:06 p.m.

I would like to see a test of Federal and General Tire performance models.  I use

General all-weather tires and have had very good luck with them.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/19 2:12 p.m.

It's only now dawning on me... Feels weird that 205/50-16 was a size I was able to get the RE-71R in for the Mini... I thought 16s were pretty much no man's land between Miatas and older stuff on 15s, and everything else modern on 17s on up...

Crazy; on Tire Rack, they've got five different 16" sizes, including 205s in 45, 50, and 55 aspect ratio... I'm clearly missing something about 16" applications.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
1/26/19 7:39 p.m.

I wish there was a legit treadwear test that applied to raced-upon tires. I realize why this is impossible. In Lemons we try to get a full 14.5hr weekend out of a set. Some of the 200tw tires do that(Direzza and RT615k) and some do not(Rival). I would love to try out some of the cheaper 2-300tw tires like the Riken Raptor or Federal SS595 but I'm afraid to commit to a pair and have them suck on the track or wear out quick.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/26/19 10:41 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

I also would like the same kind of info being new to endurance racing.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/27/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

If you want to try stuff you know will last, look towards the Conti Extremecontact Sport (340tw) and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (300tw).  Both come with a treadlife warranty, so they've made some attempt to make them last.  And both are known for being pretty grippy (although not exactly on par with the 200tw stuff), especially in the wet. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/27/19 10:14 a.m.
jj said:

Yokohama A052 is 200TW and supposedly very fast...

I was looking at those. They’re cheaper than other options (at least in my size).

CBraden
CBraden New Reader
5/23/19 12:11 p.m.

If you want to estimate track /driven in anger wear / durability, I wouldn't factor in treadwear ratings at all... 

Even among the 200 TW tires, track/racing durability is a _huge_ variable, some lasting 3-4x as long as others.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/23/19 1:38 p.m.

so my national autox ride(sth Audi TT) is owned by my buddy.

He wanted to investigate the AD052 and so he bought a set for us to try on the TT along with a whole nether set of wheels. 

Will report back with comparison to the BFG Rival. 

Javelin
5/23/19 2:37 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

NAXN?

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/23/19 2:46 p.m.
spacecadet said:

so my national autox ride(sth Audi TT) is owned by my buddy.

He wanted to investigate the AD052 and so he bought a set for us to try on the TT along with a whole nether set of wheels. 

Will report back with comparison to the BFG Rival. 

The A052 is quicker on track. I'd bet $5 that'll show in AutoX too. Just wish they made them in 225/45/15 :(

dps214
dps214 New Reader
5/23/19 3:19 p.m.

So far the data points have been that people who would have been at the top of the pack on any of the top tires, were at the top of the pack on the A052. Not to say that they're bad, but it's not exactly a conclusive test... Their feedback on the tires was mostly positive but not really anything life changing. The thing they seem to do best is settle a loose car which is actually what we need but they don't exist in a rear tire size that we (or any of our class competition) can use so I don't have to worry about what we're missing out on at least for now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fxG1dpWfBU1EuWmknQy4AuBeaqN1PvmyLOFxASw72J4W4qg4euwvREJKBuSLE6Tv