1 2 3
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/30/17 5:52 p.m.

Has anybody personally listed a car with them? I've been tasked with helping my buddy sell his car, and I have a feeling that BAT could be the right place for an extremely nice R129 with some tasteful modifications.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/30/17 5:58 p.m.

Our dear leader sold the family 240SX through there a bit ago. He should know.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/30/17 6:04 p.m.

A couple pictures of the car in question.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/17 6:28 p.m.

Maybe you should give us a shot at it first. I know someone who may be very tempted by that, especially since it's north of the border.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/30/17 6:40 p.m.

Yep, personally sold two cars through BaT auctions: the 240SX and my Mini. No muss, no fuss.

David S. Wallens
4/30/17 6:49 p.m.

Oh, and the plug: Right now we have a series in Classic Motorsports about getting top dollar for your car. As a "practical exercise" Tim bought a Tiger, fixed a few things, cleaned it up, and sold it nicely.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/30/17 6:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Maybe you should give us a shot at it first. I know someone who may be very tempted by that, especially since it's north of the border.

If anyone on here is interested, let me know. It was imported from Japan in 07, and my friend is the third owner since it was first registered in BC. $11k Canadian is what he's ideally looking for, although I might be able to arrange a GRM discount.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/30/17 7:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yep, personally sold two cars through BaT auctions: the 240SX and my Mini. No muss, no fuss.

Thanks for the feedback! It's making me feel a lot more confident about the idea.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/17 10:16 p.m.

Just be prepared for the "regulars" who like to yenta it up in the comments section. They really need some kind of moderation to keep all the Comic Book Guys from crapping all over every auction

If you're going to list a car there, be prepared to participate in the discussion thread. The trolls will start throwing mud. When sellers don't respond, it can become a feeding frenzy.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/30/17 10:27 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo:

As usual, I see. That's the one thing I don't really like about their system.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/17 10:30 p.m.

I bought and sold a car through them. Both times it went smooth.

$11k Canadian is $1100 US dollars, correct? I'll take it

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/17 10:39 p.m.

I should clarify that the comments section is potentially very useful. Recently, someone misrepresented a tarted up 190E 2.3-16 as a "Carlsson Evo II." Bidding had reached close to $20k (but was still short of its reserve) before word got out on the Mercedes forums and a couple of W201 nerds clarified the situation. The seller added the word "Replica"

When it comes to German tuner cars from the '80s, theres a pretty big difference between a genuine Hartge, Alpina, Carlsson, Ruf, etc (built by the tuner with their own VIN) versus a series production model with a bunch of tuner parts bolted on. If I'm bidding, I'd welcome the geeks who could tell the difference.

But it's not very helpful when you're bidding on, say, a Triumph TR4A and Comic Book Guy is making comments like "Ugh, I hate to think how much rust is hiding under that bodywork." How is that anything but mudslinging? Anyone who is bidding on a British roadster knows about rust. Do you have specific information about hidden rust in this particular car? If not, maybe STFU for a minute.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
4/30/17 11:53 p.m.

Make sure the A/C works...

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
5/1/17 12:09 a.m.

In reply to Esoteric Nixon:

Automatic climate control is fully functional.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/17 12:31 a.m.

BAT lol Porsche ads = IMS talks no matter what.

This SL will get, "if it was only lighter".

Otherwise, that car is awesome as berkeley.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
5/1/17 5:43 a.m.

"Did anyone mention the head bolts on your R63 yet? Despite the fact that I've never seen one in person I want to tell all potential bidders about this one thread....."
The chatter can be interesting and I agree that any seller should have thick skin and prepare to participate.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/17 9:19 a.m.

I sold a low mile 50th anniversary Corvette for a friend's family on BAT. It brought the expected price. I went back and forth with them on reserve price with them a couple of times and it ended up not mattering anyway. Winning bid came on the 2nd day. They were very easy to work with, and they wrote the ad with minimal info provided since I didn't have much to begin with. They put you in contact with the winner and it is up to you and them to work out payment and shipping. Make sure to get very good, detailed pictures, and a Carfax (or equivalent) is required. Thats about it. Good luck!

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
5/1/17 9:36 a.m.

With a car like that, most of the comments will be a back and forth about whether it's legal to import into the US or not, and then further about whether you could register it in California or not. Most of the people on there seem to be self-proclaimed experts, particularly in matters of importation legality.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/1/17 11:04 a.m.

I have also avoided selling on BAT because of the comments section....they really do need to get that under control.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/1/17 11:14 a.m.
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/17 12:22 p.m.

I sold the Jaguar XJ-S V8-swap on there. It got less than I expected (or reserved) and they refunded my listing fee to make it up, which was nice. Absolutely no hassle setting up payment and shipping afterwords, so it's really nice that buyer's are vetted so fully. I've sold 3 cars on eBay and two were disasters due to the buyer. I did get bummed that they listed a nearly mint XJ-S V12 about 2 days after my car, and I feel that really cooled the interest in mine, but that's life.

I am highly considering them for selling the Alfa when I finish it.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
5/1/17 12:55 p.m.

Make sure you get the car on a lift for pictures. They really spin up over it. My friend just sold a mechanically solid/cosmetically challenged S4 Avant on BaT and he found himself at my house 3 days in to snap the pics on my lift and head off the "it's probably held together with duct tape and dreams by now" crew.

He was happy with the process.

David S. Wallens
5/1/17 12:59 p.m.

When I sold my Innocenti Mini Cooper, they asked lots of questions--lots and lots of questions, many that could have easily been answered via Wikipedia. If anything, in the end I think it helped vet the car as I answered each question with documentation.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/1/17 1:43 p.m.

They have a number of people writing their articles so I think a lot of it is based on who's writing the one on your auto. The comments section is what makes, and breaks BAT. It's become a place for fairly common unicorn sighting though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/1/17 2:26 p.m.

Is there a guide for morons to this? I have gotten nowhere with any of the other options to sell the elky.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z2Zcb4UT51zAnrKTWtTbqD2tOePCMY647SwUqZjzTjyBsy5J4RZMFB57y1ezI88g