1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
12/9/17 7:12 a.m.

The more realistic I get, the more these seem to be what I need. Any major issues or are these worthy of the Honda reputation?

Whats the likelihood of getting one in a manual? I can’t take the thought of these with an auto.

Edit: I’d certainly entertain the 6th Gen Accord if there’s reason to. 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
12/9/17 7:40 a.m.

I have been using one as a daily for a few months - a 2006 V6 Manual Sedan. My commute involves long stretches of straight flat interstate, and the Accord is fantastic for that. The V6/Manual Sedan combo is quite rare, I've only ever seen two for sale locally in the years I've had alerts set up - they were made in 2006 and 2007 only. I've seen a few 4 cylinder manual trans sedans, and a handful of the V6 manual coupes. 

Handling: Nothing special, severe understeer on stock suspension as you near the limit. It does ride extremely comfortably over the rough Detroit roads however. 

Interior: Well put-together, no rattles or squeaks on mine after 120k miles. Seats are comfortable and supportive for a Honda, and the driving position and visibility is good for a modern car. It's also very quiet compared to what I'm used to. 

Engine: The V6 is incredible, it just pulls and pulls. I get about 26-27 mpg doing mostly 75+ mph on the freeway, and I can't keep my foot off the gas. I've heard the 4 cylinder is passable though, and gets in the 30s. The gas tank is 16 gallons so I get about 400 miles to the tank, which is nice. The combination of being able to do both a quarter mile in the low 14s and running 27 mpg on 87 octane is tough to beat.

Issues: The third gear is a little difficult, though I'm definitely in need of a trans fluid change. The timing belt change is a little bit of a pain. No other issues I'm aware of. 

Overall I'd say it's not a canyon carver, but a fantastic grand tourer. 

Not sure where you're located, but here's a coupe and a high miles V6/MT sedan

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/17 7:50 a.m.

My wife has a 2007 Accord 4cyl with an automatic.  Cloth interior, no sunroof.  The car performs just fine.  Accelerates well.  Ride nice.  

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
12/9/17 8:40 a.m.

I had to check gnerations, we upgraded from an 02 to an 11 last year, 6th to 8th gen. The 02 was at 200k miles and still going strong but the rust belt failures of fluid lines were getting annoying.  The newer V6 is amazing, same factory hp as my 66 Mustang Hi-po.  Does everything as you would expect it and the automatic never angers me. My only complaint is total lack of feedback from steering and suspension, but I think that is kind of the point of an Accord.  I would love to put an exhaust on it to hear more of the V6

lnlds
lnlds Reader
12/11/17 11:15 a.m.

I'd go for the  7th gen over the 6th it's modern, larger, safer, & the 4-cylinder has a timing chain instead of belt. 

Ideally the one to get would be an 06-07 EX 5-speed (rear discs + alloys). The 7.5 gens (2006-2007) got some mild engine revisions (more power) and an different shaped trunk. TL swaybar bolts on & tsx intake manifold as well.  I believe the rear seat doesn't split fold also. The problem is that they hold value well enough it might be worth it to spring for a TSX (better gearing, vtec, wheels, & loaded). 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/11/17 11:36 a.m.

Avoid any automatic in the 6th generation. 

That is all I have.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/17 12:46 p.m.

Keep in mind the 04-09 Acura TL is basically an V6 accord... and you can find a lot more of them with manual 6spds.  And those 6spds come with a factory lsd, which the V6 manual accord didn't get.  Only draw backs with the TL's are non-folding rear seat, and dashboard cracks due to plastic aging/temperature cycling.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
12/12/17 6:43 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Also the TL specs premium gas, over the Accord's regular. That said, I would have been all over one had I found one before the Accord. They're very nice cars.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
1/28/18 6:09 p.m.

Zombie Thread but it’s mine and it’s relevant again.

I’m in for the 4cyl with a timing chain and regular gas any day!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/28/18 6:29 p.m.

Since I've had one for two days and 200 miles now I consider myself an expert.laugh

Mine is a 4cyl 5spd coupe. Driving it is lovely. The interior has aged really well. Other than the tops of the seats turning Honda purple from the sun, and the soft touch armrests just starting to peel back, it's basically brand new inside. It has an intermittent airbag light which my Honda friends tell me is a feature. Everything on the car just works. Terminal understeer but it's on 420tw tires and the stock suspension, so exactly as Honda planned. This could be a very boring car to own which sounds great right now.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
1/28/18 6:35 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

after what we’ve been through the last 6 weeks... boring might be ok here too.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
1/28/18 8:09 p.m.

It's funny, I just test drove one of these with the 2.4 K engine and a five speed after reading your thread before your revived it. I have to admit, I was expecting more. I drove a first gen Mazda 6 i with a MT earlier in the week and that was such a better feeling car in my opinion. Just my short impression though.

Of bigger concern to me though was the oil consumption problems with the K24. The one I drove was low on oil and was most likely consuming it. Keep an eye out for that. 

mazdeuce - Seth
1/28/18 8:15 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

Yes. Changing the (very clean looking) oil tomorrow and I'll be paying attention. There is something very generic feeling about these, and a lot of Hondas for that matter. I bought mine not because it's great, but because it's adequate and has the bones of what might turn out to be great. Might end up spending a bunch of time and money and have it end up still being adequate. 

Edit: you might be wondering how I can describe the car as both lovely and generic/adequate. Coming from where I am right now, a car that just works and is a smidge sporty really is lovely even if it doesn't stir the soul. I was shopping for just this experience and I got it. I'm happy. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
1/28/18 8:24 p.m.

I absolutely understand. I'm actually looking for the same thing (a working mode of transportation with good bones that doesn't leak, i.e. NOT my E30) and I was going to buy the car despite the "adequateness" of it. But the fact that it was consuming oil, and needed new tires was enough to scare me off, given that the guy wanted $5k for it. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/18 12:26 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

Zombie Thread but it’s mine and it’s relevant again.

I’m in for the 4cyl with a timing chain and regular gas any day!

This is an Accord K24 with 60k on it.  The tensioner is fully extended.  We normally see them max the tensioners out at around the 90k mark.  Honda were kind enough to put an access panel in the timing cover so that you can easily see everything bouncing around.

So, it sort of has the same maintenance interval as a belt, just more inconvenient and expensive to deal with.

As a bonus, the intake cam phaser's lock pin has a tendency to fail, so when it leaks down overnight it rattles just like a bad chain.  They used some sort of super threadlock, every one I have done required removing the camshaft and fighting it on the bench.

For some reason, i am ONLY seeing chain issue on Accords, not the cute utes.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/29/18 12:40 p.m.

It's weird, to me, to choose chain over belt. At least belts have a known interval for servicing. Chains also wear out, along with associated hardware, but are harder to work on and more expensive. I don't *mind* a chain, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from a timing belt given the low cost and high interval for changing one.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
1/29/18 3:22 p.m.

I’m stuck in my high-mileage pushrod V8 dinosaur engine experience.

Had to replace ONE on a 351W but everything was ok because non-interference.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
1/29/18 3:23 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

What would be the chain/water pump replacement cost (I don’t have the time to DIY anymore)?

Knurled.
1/29/18 4:34 p.m.

Water pump is not involved with chain replacement and vice versa.  So you that that going for you, which is nice.

mazdeuce - Seth
1/29/18 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I should pull the window on mine and check, shouldn't I? At least I've already mucked about resetting the timing on the RSX, so it's a known job. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
1/29/18 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

The TSX's did too. 

Knurled.
1/29/18 5:53 p.m.

I'd only worry about it if/when it starts rattling.  I can't say what causes it, pretty much all of the ones i have done were call ins who didn't want to pay dealer rates to have it done.  I assume that it is long OCIs.  The chain is "6.35mm" (1/4") pitch, so a lot of link pins to wear out.

Da Boss's sister has an Acura TLA with the 2.4, a newer one that gets fed 0W20.  We'll see how it lasts.  Her '05 Jetta went close to 200k on the 2.5l's original chains, whe the internet said they die every 80k...  But she got synthetic every 5k.

einy
einy HalfDork
1/29/18 6:21 p.m.

Our 2001 Accord EX sedan 5 speed MT went 175k trouble free miles until we decided it was time to sell it and get another.

Our 2009 Accord EX sedan 5 speed MT went went 95k trouble free miles until it was t-boned by an Acura MDX in the driver’s at 35mph and was totaled.  My wife walked away completely fine.

Our 2014 Accord EX sedan CVT currently has 105k trouble free miles so far and counting, but now with direct injection I am wonder when it will need an intake valve decarboning (like the 2011 GTI did at 55k miles).

Generally speaking, we have had superb service out of all of our Accords so far, so that is nice.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/30/18 10:29 a.m.

Our 2005 automatic, 4 cyl sedan has done about 160K trouble free miles, including some deferred maintenance by me. I treated it like an appliance for the first several years we had it.  It was recently in the shop for a cam sensor replacement that  I couldn't figure out.  Only time its been in a shop other than airbag replacement.  My son inherits it in May when he gets his license. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/30/18 3:08 p.m.

I just put a master cylinder on an 04 Accord 3.0 with 297k. It had a variety of codes and very worn out suspension but the engine seemed fine. I really like those cars. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zts2rNeCJNCMAwxLxsnYHrutuxhUyyuQnm2II94EtZ7ZHnz180NaWRC9esKUYP9X