Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
7/24/11 11:02 a.m.

Well I bought a 1988 Ford F350 (Roll back) over the weekend with a 460 V8 four speed trans (stick) and have a question about oil pressure and coolant temperature. The factory instrument cluster dose not seem to work very well and I do not trust it.

Ambient air temp 102* (F) for all readings.

Cold oil pressure 60 PSI

Hot oil pressure 26 PSI

Hot oil pressure at 2K RPM (round about) 45 PSI

Water temperature measured at radiator neck 160* (F) after running for about one hour.

Now I am a Mopar guy myself but I have worked on a number of Fords over the years the number I have posted do not raise any flags for me, another person thinks the oil pressure is to low.

So before I go putting real money into this truck I want to make sure the engine will hold up. The truck made a 250+ mile trip on a recored breaking hot day.I would think if it made it through all of that the engine must not be in bad shape.

Thanks Paul B

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
7/24/11 11:08 a.m.

Seems good to me. The old rule of 10psi hot per 1000 rpm is a good one to follow. Looks like someone swapped the thermostat at some point for a way too cold version, I prefer no lower then 180F, to combat overheating or the fallacy of increased performance.

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/24/11 11:13 a.m.

Key: what's the oil weight? If that's with 10w/30, that's great. If it's with straight 50w, then, well... However, considering the temps and the trip you took, I think you'll be OK. They are known for their ability to generate a LOT of torque down low, and with a simple cam and intake change, much, much more.. Both changes are not expensive, either. 45 psi at 2k, on a broiling day, and the year, sounds acceptable. The rule is at least 10psi of oil pressure for every 1k rpm. Coolant temp sounds OK, too.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
7/24/11 11:33 a.m.

The oil is black as coal so I have no ideal of the weight. I plan to change it today or tomorrow.

Thanks Paul B

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
7/24/11 1:50 p.m.

Given the year and type of use it has seen, I would also consider 10 psi per 1000 RPM to be fine.

As long as the oil doesnt have any metal in it and it doesnt rattle, I would run it till it pops, no matter what the gauges say.

Even if it had metal in it, I would still run it till it popped.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L6atX2WO1HJSRIZM51xM1aRxEMEKGnCeKYDxIo4Mg7O8HC91YcJTq2qhdSBlcdeO