KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/17/17 2:29 p.m.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/acura-cl-type-speed-manual/6220453465.html

So this would get me some of that sweet sweet H-street PAX, combined with actual power. So what's the skinny on such a beast? Is the diff open and it just smokes the inside tire all day? Camber impaired and gonna wreck the shoulders of the fronts? It looks like maybe a nice daily beater and next year my son is wanting to co-drive with me. Any thoughts?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
7/17/17 2:34 p.m.

In for the same answers. I know they are heavy!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/17/17 2:37 p.m.

Decent enough car. Heavy, but has a proper suspension still. Navigation systems are E36 M3. Alpine crap that sucked to update. Drivetrain is pretty standard Accord fare..... just an accord coupe with pretty lights. HID lights weren't especially designed for longevity. a little moisture will kill the ridiculously priced control box and igniter.

Can't really remember anything outside of EGR issues engine wise. But that's pretty common for all makes.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/17/17 2:48 p.m.

Hmm, according to Wikipedia the 6 speed CL-S is rare, weighs 3,400 lbs, 260 hp J motor, and has a true LSD.

This might be a contender for H-street fame (no fortune in autocross...)

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
7/17/17 2:51 p.m.

Nothing relevant to contribute, just wanted to say that this was my dream car in high school, and they still look pretty good today (IMO)

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/17 3:03 p.m.

I remember thinking the seating position was really odd in the one I drove. Maybe it's because I'm 6'2" but it felt like the dashboard was designed to face someone a foot shorter than me. I liked the car, but it felt HEAVY. 3510 lbs according to the manual.

IIRC the aftermarket for them is kind of lame too. A few power mods but that's about it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/17/17 3:07 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Hurry up and buy it, I'll co-drive it a few times. I think the worst part is the stock wheels are only 7" wide. For that heavy of a car, it'll need more tire.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/17/17 3:13 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

I couldn't remember if it was this or the 04-08 TL that had the really cramped (for the size of the car) footwells.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/17/17 3:14 p.m.

Looks like an option for them was a 18x8 wheel. Should help a bit.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/17/17 4:06 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

incorrect. Those cars never had an 18" wheel. 17x7 stock, and the accessory wheels were also 17x7. All used the 215/50/17 Michelin MXM4 tire. the 2004-08 TL's had the 18x8 accessory wheel, but it was never offered from the factory, only as a dealer installed option.

non-s cars had 16x6.5" wheels with 205/60/16 Michelin MXV4 tires.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/19/17 7:11 p.m.

If that car was local i would have looked at it already. That's a steal. High-miles hondas are the best, especially if they're fast and cheap.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/17 7:26 p.m.

Acura's press introductions for those included track time. If I remember correctly, we ran those at Streets of Willow. It's not a CRX beater but still fun. Can it win in H Street? Good question.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot New Reader
7/19/17 11:02 p.m.

I can't contribute except to say I'm a big fan of the first-gen CL body style. Better proportions in my view. Good luck with the purchase!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/20/17 7:53 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Acura's press introductions for those included track time. If I remember correctly, we ran those at Streets of Willow. It's not a CRX beater but still fun. Can it win in H Street? Good question.

Cheez, what does it say about me that I remember reading that article? I think it was copper colored and had an automatic trans, which pleasantly surprised you.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/20/17 8:24 a.m.

I want one for a challenge car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZMmmsKdzonfk5r4F0m3zGxmmRMFWorRD9Dy9vpMEeYLj3VjXoSyZVNa4ZJ6YUUk1