HappyAndy HalfDork
April 4, 2011 12:15 a.m.

My underground economy auto repair service is getting busy again, and this month every one that I know seems to have a mistu that's overdue for a timing belt change. Ok, only 3 people, but mitsus are outside of my comfort zone.
On deck are 2 y2k gallants with 2.4s and a 04 endevor with a sohc v6. I've done penty of sohc belts on mazda forklift engines at my day job, but they are super easy. The gallants have a seperate balancer shaft belt, does that present any special challanges? Since both are at 120k miles I plan to replace the w/p tensioner and idler pulleys, is there anything else that should be included with this job? Do the crank pulleys tend to come out easy or require a puller, and are any special tools needed? As for the v6 in the endevor, my gut says to run away, but the diagram that I found on rockauto makes it look simple. Is my instinct right or is it not so bad? If I do it I will do the w/p and pulleys too, since the pump is in the center of the V does the intake need to come off? Any special tools needed, or comon snags for this job?

If any one could send me some page from a service manual for either of these engines I would be very grateful.

EvanB SuperDork
April 4, 2011 6:23 a.m.

I work at a Mitsu dealer but just in parts. We usually just replace the belt and hydraulic tensioner on them. I haven't heard any use of special tools or processes needed for either. I could send you the parts diagrams but that might not help too much. I'll see if I can get some pages from the service manual for you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Subaru Bounces Back

2 days ago in Articles

Proof that motorsports involvement can lead to corporate success.

Your Projects: SkinnyG's V8 Pontiac Firefly

2 days ago in News

Talk about a sleeper.

Calling All LS-Powered Track Machines to Holley LS Fest

2 days ago in News

Holley LS Fest will once again feature the Grassroots Motorsports Road Course Challenge.

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

3 days ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

3 days ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

3 days ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

3 days ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

Big News From Mazda's Prototype Racing Effort

4 days ago in News

This just in: Mazda's prototype racing effort is changing hands.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, July 19: Track Prep Your Daily Plus a Look at the Only Stick Shift GT3 RS

4 days ago in News

Tune in as we discuss pre-event inspection and prep. Also, a special appearance by a very cool Porsche.

Project Ridgeline Tows Home Another Project

4 days ago in Project Cars

We may or may not have gotten sidetracked on our Smoky Mountain Tour.

You Need This: Supercharged Toyota MR2

5 days ago in News

Rebuilt engine? Check. Extra power? Check. Early MR2 cool factor? Double check.

2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 AWD

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're keeping the all-wheel-drive wagon theme rolling. We reviewed the Subaru Impreza last week and the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen before ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
oZkblD9TADGnDqrFWab4iaZzj4F1RZ6K