1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/08 7:56 a.m.

I'm getting the springs changed on the Samurai and of course the stealership doesn't have any U-bolts, any reason not to run regular hardware store U-bolts if I can find matching ones? I guess I'd need grade 8 bolts?

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/23/08 8:01 a.m.

Typical hardware store junk is way too soft so unless it is an unstressed link (like a muffler clamp) I wouldn't risk it.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/23/08 8:08 a.m.

+1 on hardware store grade 3 being too soft.

Why can't the stock U bolts be reused?

GameboyRMH
10/23/08 8:17 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: +1 on hardware store grade 3 being too soft. Why can't the stock U bolts be reused?

From what I've read, once they're torqued up to spec the threads deform to help them lock in place, so you can't reuse them.

autolex84
autolex84 New Reader
10/23/08 9:01 a.m.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/guideBrowse.shtml?operator=breadCrumbSearch&searchIndexId=1&originalValue=%7EFasteners%7EBolts

every major city has a grainger.

Unless you are on some hurricane magnet out in the Atlantic...

914Driver
914Driver Dork
10/23/08 9:14 a.m.

What the heck are you doing talking to a Stealership for?

U-Bolts that I've seen are fine threaded also. Go to a NAPA and root through their catalog, bring measurements or the old bolts with you.

Dan

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/23/08 9:17 a.m.

There's eleventy billion reasons not to use weaksauce Grade 3 hardware store U-bolts! NAPA, CSK, AutoZone, whatever will have U-bolts in stock or can order them. Or a Grainger. Or call Summit or Jeg's. There's no excuse for having your axles fall off...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/23/08 9:23 a.m.

Given the choice between reusing the oem u-bolt, or a hardware store u-bolt, I'll reuse.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
10/23/08 9:31 a.m.

You should find them even at crapy auto part places on the Dorrman HELP Rack.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/23/08 9:48 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Jensenman wrote: +1 on hardware store grade 3 being too soft. Why can't the stock U bolts be reused?
From what I've read, once they're torqued up to spec the threads deform to help them lock in place, so you can't reuse them.

(scratches head) Must be a Suzuki thing. I've reused plenty of them (last time on a F250 4x4 with spacer blocks) with no problems at all.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
10/23/08 10:17 a.m.
Jensenman wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
(scratches head) Must be a Suzuki thing. I've reused plenty of them (last time on a F250 4x4 with spacer blocks) with no problems at all.

Agreed, but reusing was not part of the equasion in the first post. Perhaps the old ones were destroyed or wrong for the new springs.

Scroll down through these sites...

C'mon, $9 each?

http://www.rocky-road.com/zukshim.html

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samsuspparts.htm

http://www.puresuzuki.com/suspension2.htm

http://www.trailtough.com/

GameboyRMH
10/23/08 10:35 a.m.

The old ones would fit back fine, I'm just replacing them because the repair manual says not to reuse them.

Hopefully I won't have to import them, that would take forever and the shipping and duty would exceed the price of the items.

Hmm that bolt-on traction bar looks like it could be a good investment, but it's not cheap. I've noticed that broken rear springs on Sammies is a pretty common problem.

GameboyRMH
10/23/08 10:47 a.m.
I need Caller I.Q. on this thing... wrote: Unless you are on some hurricane magnet out in the Atlantic...

Maybe a hurricane-repelling magnet

I'll try NAPA, we have one of those here.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
10/23/08 12:30 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The old ones would fit back fine, I'm just replacing them because the repair manual says not to reuse them.

The folks that printed that manual are the same ones that sell new U-Bolts through Stealerships?

Not even gonna ask about the traction bars....

iceracer
iceracer Reader
10/23/08 12:49 p.m.

Over the years I have never replaced the U bolts unless they were destroyed.

GameboyRMH
10/23/08 1:14 p.m.

NAPA doesn't have any U-bolts. I guess I'll have to look into reusing the old ones, assuming the threads are still OK the only issue will be corrosion.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
10/23/08 2:27 p.m.

Wire brush the snot out of them and buy new lock washers.

GameboyRMH
10/24/08 9:01 a.m.

My mechanic agrees it shouldn't be a problem on a Samurai.

Duke
Duke Dork
10/24/08 11:23 a.m.

Maybe he's just tired of working on it.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/08 11:36 a.m.

Look to trailer parts supplies. They sell Ubolts for axles in every size, diameter, spread, length imaginable. Depending on how big they are, they are used on 10,000 lb trailers, so they should hold up to your 3000 lb Sammy

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/24/08 12:13 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The old ones would fit back fine, I'm just replacing them because the repair manual says not to reuse them.

It probably doesn't say to install brand new undersized and underrated bits made from Chinese rejects either.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/24/08 3:11 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: My mechanic

My mechanic snores and drinks too damn much beer. Oh, wait...

GameboyRMH
10/24/08 3:14 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: Look to trailer parts supplies. They sell Ubolts for axles in every size, diameter, spread, length imaginable. Depending on how big they are, they are used on 10,000 lb trailers, so they should hold up to your 3000 lb Sammy

3000lbs? It's not full of fat people

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/08 5:30 p.m.

No but it is full of water and pesky yippy dogs right?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v1Zts4T8I0dQecAPAUMspu7ZKXp7pgnQQViVPKpnUr4WqRRVoIsAmdkVrsTIOckq