BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/11 2:47 p.m.

One of the pseudo-ricey parts on the Talon is that someone lovingly stuck aftermarket gauge faces onto all the gauges. Hooray. I don't like these things in the first place and to make matters worse, the overlays are silver, so they reflect any sort of light that comes in through the side or rear windows. Very useful, that. Not.

It looks like the alternatives are to go back to the local pick & pull as they have a Laser (my Talon has a Laser cluster in it with the oil pressure gauge) and get the cluster from that one, then swap out everything but the speedo. That still leaves me with getting the face off the speedo, though. Or I can just try peeling off the faces from all the gauges and then get the new cluster from the junk yard...

Any suggestions?

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
6/2/11 4:09 p.m.

you could get different overlays in a color you like...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/11 7:02 p.m.

I never cared for those things either.. I think most of them are put on with some sort of double sided tape?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/2/11 7:08 p.m.

Swap gauge faces from one cluster to another? You should be able to do it without messing with the odometer, as long as the gauge faces are identical.

I was thinking Goo Gone or something similar, but that stuff is messy and I don't know if it or the gauge face adhesive will take off the gauge face markings.

BoxheadTim
6/2/11 8:30 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Swap gauge faces from one cluster to another? You should be able to do it without messing with the odometer, as long as the gauge faces are identical.

They would be - the car I was eying had exactly the same cluster in it that the Talon has. Aside from the speedo/odometer, I should actually be able to just swap over the gauges.

RexSeven wrote: I was thinking Goo Gone or something similar, but that stuff is messy and I don't know if it or the gauge face adhesive will take off the gauge face markings.

That's a good point. I have no idea how tough the adhesive on these things is.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/2/11 8:48 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
RexSeven wrote: Swap gauge faces from one cluster to another? You should be able to do it without messing with the odometer, as long as the gauge faces are identical.
They would be - the car I was eying had exactly the same cluster in it that the Talon has. Aside from the speedo/odometer, I should actually be able to just swap over the gauges.

Get the junkyard cluster then take it apart to see how it is made. Unless there's a DSM board or manual that has an exploded view of the cluster, it's the only way I can think of to know how it is built. Be careful, that mid 80's/early 90's plastic is brittle!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/2/11 9:24 p.m.

91-94 2.0 DSMs all used the same clusters (turbos are different than NTs) 90 2.0 DSMs use a specific cluster to the 90s (again, turbos are different than NTs)

1.8s use a different tach.

All 1Gs should have oil pressure gauges.

What year are you trying to find, I probably have one.

BoxheadTim
6/2/11 10:19 p.m.

'93 TSi AWD - IOW, I need the turbo cluster.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
6/3/11 12:55 a.m.

They glued the faces on? I bought a 2nd Gen with those stupid white gauge faces and they were just barely stuck on.

Even if I bought a Boxster S I'd change it to the black face gauges.

BoxheadTim
6/3/11 10:06 a.m.

I haven't taken the cluster apart but it looks like they're glued on fairly well - you can see some of the lettering that sits lower than the face of the gauge show through.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yb624Byqdh7p39zKKPfkH738gqgdUWBqDoZo6XgqMb1noB9NGH9BDB4CmN5M9GYK