1 2 3
Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
5/11/20 3:38 p.m.

I was almost sure that I wanted a Veloster N for my next car, but I got to recently check out an Ecoboost Mustang that made a lasting impression.

There's a local dealership that has a nicely optioned Premium Ecoboost in the Kona Blue color that I like, or a Black High Performance Pack version with Magnaride suspension and all of the performance options, but really none of the comfort or interior options, just plain cloth seats.

Any weak points with these?  I'm curious if I could deal a little harder on the Performance pack since it seems like a harder sell to the general public.

I'm trying to keep my cars longer, so if it didn't have the large digital display or cooled seats, I'd imagine there's a little less to go wrong.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/20 3:41 p.m.

you can get manual base GT's for similar money

koons ford has about 10 base to base+ manual 2020 GT's between $28k-33k

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
5/11/20 3:44 p.m.
MrChaos said:

you can get manual base GT's for similar money

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way.  I don't want a GT.  That's why I asked specifically about the Ecoboost.

MrChaos
5/11/20 3:47 p.m.

oh ok then. same dealership has a 2020 ecoboost manual base model for $22k

https://www.koonssterlingford.com/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-ab0619f40a0e0a6b4da79abdb11bf817.htm

My dad just got a ranger with the 2.3 + 10 speed combo and seems to like it.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/11/20 3:50 p.m.

I have about 50,000 miles on my 2017 Ecoboost Mustang with few problems. 

I had to have some work done on the emissions system. 

It's a daily driver with a few long trips and some autocrossing. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/11/20 3:51 p.m.

Headgasket were the real problems with the 2.3L. I hope by 2020 those are fixed. 

I think EC Mustangs are a great buy. 

Local dealers have them at $22,500 - $27,800 for 2020 EC on their lots. 

I would totally do it. Its a great time to buy with all the incentives, and glut of the 2020 on the lots. 

Its a fantastic car especialy wiht the Perf package. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/11/20 3:54 p.m.

I got the convertible. Most dealers want about $10,000 more for the drop top if they have one. I also got the premium model with the digital display. Not sure if the base model has all the electronics but I like having GPS, Satellite Radio and a link to use my iPhone. It will probably be expensive to fix down the road. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/11/20 4:04 p.m.

The 1969 Mustang with the 351 Cleveland that I drove in high school had 285 hp. The 2017 Ecoboost Mustang I drive now has 310 hp. 

There is nothing wrong with getting the 4 cylinder, no matter what John Wick says. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/11/20 4:04 p.m.

I have nothing to add other than the fact that I have really enjoyed every EcoBoost Mustang rental car I've had even in automatic form. Almost to the point I considered getting one for a DD. Just as much power as the S197 which isn't bad at all. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/11/20 4:49 p.m.
Snowdoggie said:

What did you have done on the emissions system?

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
5/11/20 5:49 p.m.

No real problems to report. 
I work at a pretty large dealer. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/11/20 7:25 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:
Snowdoggie said:

What did you have done on the emissions system?

They replaced a purge valve. Probably clogged up.

5/11/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I can see it failing, I can't see it getting plugged up- it just deals with gas vapor.  But that is interesting.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/11/20 7:41 p.m.

The FullRace EFR upgrades really make them tempting. 

MrChaos
5/11/20 7:57 p.m.

Also as one of the(the only?) resident Veloster N owners here.  I do like my N but you will have more performance options for the Mustang, since well it is a mustang. You also cant swing a dead cat without hitting a ford dealership. Also the rest of the drivetrain is the same for the 4cyl and the GT's.  Also they likely sell more mustang ecoboosts a month than they will sell Veloster N's in a year.

Also if you have any N questions I can try to answer them. I paid $27.5k for my N Performance Pack.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
5/11/20 8:34 p.m.

Any chance you drove both the magnetic suspension and the regular? If so, any contrasting impressions?

I drove a base ecoboost and thought it drove decently, but not spectacularly. I preferred the Veloster Turbo R even though it wasn't as quick. The ecoboost's power is very effective, but it's falls off hard in the upper mid-range. I suspect with the FoRS' turbo setup/tune it would be much better.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/11/20 8:51 p.m.

This is an interesting thread.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/11/20 9:53 p.m.
MrChaos said:

Also as one of the(the only?) resident Veloster N owners here.  I do like my N but you will have more performance options for the Mustang, since well it is a mustang. You also cant swing a dead cat without hitting a ford dealership. Also the rest of the drivetrain is the same for the 4cyl and the GT's.  Also they likely sell more mustang ecoboosts a month than they will sell Veloster N's in a year.

Also if you have any N questions I can try to answer them. I paid $27.5k for my N Performance Pack.

I actually test drove the Veloster before I bought the Mustang. I really liked it. It reminded me of my old Honda CRXsi. But the Mustang really seemed like more car. I always felt a little intimidated driving the Miata in Dallas traffic with so many trucks and SUVs. And coming from a Miata, I just liked being able to take the top down. 

The one I really fell in love with was the Alfa Romeo Guilia. But they have a reputation for being unreliable. I already have a couple of unreliable sports cars. Mrs. Snowdoggie really thought I needed A Camry or some sort of Honda but could accept a Ford. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/20 10:01 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I have nothing to add other than the fact that I have really enjoyed every EcoBoost Mustang rental car I've had even in automatic form. Almost to the point I considered getting one for a DD. Just as much power as the S197 which isn't bad at all. 

Same here.

I was 100% surprised by the passing ability at speed.  Off the line isn't great, but once you get into the boost and the powerband... damn.  Its nice

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/20 10:42 p.m.

I don't really pay attention to Mustangs usually but I find myself reading the reviews of the 2020 EcoBoost over and over. Too big for me, but very intriguing. 

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/12/20 5:40 a.m.

I cannot remember which magazine I saw this in, but there is a turbo upgrade for that car that totally looked like money.  Not that expensive for the horsepower gains.  I have a supercharged 06 mustang and it is glorious.  I also have an absolute crapbox 91 four cylinder notch back.  The 91 is plucky, and loves to slide in the snow.  When I am asked the constant question about v8 swapping the 91, I can't explain that the car is fun the way it is.  It just needs a limited slip.  I guess I am over the horse power wars?  

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/12/20 7:01 a.m.

My S197 is plenty of power on the street with 325, but I still would have a hard time making the justification for a more complex, more high strung engine with 150 less HP if the real world pricing was the same. 

You say you don't want a GT - what makes the EcoBoost more attractive? Not downing your choice by any means, but it sounds like there are advantages I don't know about. Please share.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/12/20 7:15 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

My S197 is plenty of power on the street with 325, but I still would have a hard time making the justification for a more complex, more high strung engine with 150 less HP if the real world pricing was the same. 

You say you don't want a GT - what makes the EcoBoost more attractive? Not downing your choice by any means, but it sounds like there are advantages I don't know about. Please share.

What makes the Ecoboost more complex than the Coyote? Just a turbo? These days the Coyote runs 12:1 compression, has VVT, and essentially has two fuel systems with both port injection and direct injection. So it's not exactly a low stressed, simple engine that can be fixed with a rock and some twine for a couple of bucks like older v8s.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/12/20 7:17 a.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

I can see it failing, I can't see it getting plugged up- it just deals with gas vapor.  But that is interesting.

Never looked at it myself. That's what the dealer said. 

5/12/20 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

Dealers are known to make up stuff just to make themselves look smart.  Especially when they can't actually explain what went wrong to themselves.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g1yzbK8qf14rfbHlmQpKztzDo4FgtrRyHEQi3qeXyax06l9O7YvoRYSPLOAUSGtZ