1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/09 12:38 p.m.

After seeing this thread a few weeks ago, http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/another-garage-addition/6377/page1/

I started thinking about adding a lift to the garage. I'm considering one of these two:

http://www.metro-lifts.com/md-6xp.htm

or more likely:

http://www.metro-lifts.com/p-6.htm

The MD-6 goes higher, but the P-6 has a clear center.

Has anybody used either of these?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/25/09 12:46 p.m.

Bend Pak is a manufacturer, not a lift type. We use Bend-Paks at FM, but they're two-post lifts instead of the ones you're picturing. Just FYI.

I've thought about picking up a motorcycle lift for the Locost. Seems like it would be pretty handy.

Woody
1/25/09 7:36 p.m.

I realize that they're a manufacturer, and I've seen their two-posters. I've just never seen or spoken to anyone who has used either of the light duty ones.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
1/25/09 7:43 p.m.

Ive got one similar to the P6 you have pictured but without the clear center (the 2 sides are joined) Mine is made by rotary. Just got it recently so minimal use but its a welcome addition to the shop and good for 90% of the things I'd usually put a car in the air for.

Woody
1/25/09 7:45 p.m.

Your original post is what got me seriously considering a lift. But, would you be able to remove a transmission with yours?

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
1/25/09 7:59 p.m.
Woody wrote: Your original post is what got me seriously considering a lift. But, would you be able to remove a transmission with yours?

There is only one crossbar going across the middle so most likely I could remove a trans with it if needed. It would still be more convient than jack stands and thankfully I don't do alot of transmission removal :) But it would definitely not be as good as a post lift for such a job.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
1/26/09 7:01 a.m.

Bendpak is an economy lift company, take that for what it's worth A 9K two post lift from Challenger will run you about $3000 plus freight & installation. You'll need good concrete that's free of seems & cracks anywhere near the mounting points & is at least 4" thick. Also check into what your homeowner's insurance has to say on the subject wouldn't want to drop a car on your buddy & find out none of it is covered.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/09 7:02 a.m.

And you can buy INSTALLED lifts from NAPA. starting around $3000.00

Woody
1/26/09 8:58 a.m.

I don't want a two post lift in my garage, though.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/09 9:33 a.m.

They can do all of them, ask for the latest copy of the Real Deals and Tools and Equiptment catalogs.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/26/09 9:39 a.m.

I've had a Bend Pak four post lift for about 5 years now. I use it a lot and have not had a problem with it. I found the best price at the time was at RB Wholesale. Whatever you do, make sure the prices include shipping. -Jim

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/26/09 9:43 a.m.

I forgot to add that I did find that RB's price for the lifts you are looking at is the same as the links you provided. Mine's an HD-9ST, which isn't much more than the more expensive one you are looking at, but a lot more useful.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/26/09 10:01 a.m.
purplepeopleeater wrote: Bendpak is an economy lift company, take that for what it's worth A 9K two post lift from Challenger will run you about $3000 plus freight & installation. You'll need good concrete that's free of seems & cracks anywhere near the mounting points & is at least 4" thick. Also check into what your homeowner's insurance has to say on the subject wouldn't want to drop a car on your buddy & find out none of it is covered.

I can't agree with that. I did very thorough research before buying a lift, and could have bought any lift I wanted, but went with Bend Pak because it's design was better than most, and it meets ALI/ETL requirements just like any good rack. They also have functionality missing in many other lifts, like compressed air lock mechanisms, so all locks can be unlocked from one position. One reason they are less expensive than some other lifts is that they aren't powdercoated, and that is a big expense. I personally didn't want a powdercoated rack, as wet paint is much easier to repair correctly. Virtually all hobby lifts use the same electric-hydraulic unit from OTC. The construction of this lift is first rate, and I see nothing about the Bend Pak that is "economy", unless you are including the aforementioned lack of powdercoating. I'm not just defending this lift because I have one, I really do think they are good lifts. I'm also not saying Challenger lifts aren't good, they are, but from structural standpoint what I see any reason why they are better than the Bend Pak, just more expensive.
Jay Leno can afford any lift he wants, and he has Bend Pak. I know he endorses them, and maybe gets his for free or at a discount, but if you were Jay Leno, would you put your million dollar car up on an inferior lift because you got the lift for free?

jungle
jungle New Reader
1/26/09 4:11 p.m.

I have a "Direct Lift"....I got it from a local vendor, and paid a bit more to do so...but they delivered it and set it up in my garage for me (no trip to some dock w/ a truck & trailer for me, not to mention a hernia!). I also get 1yr local parts & labor warranty.

I got one of these because my garage is only 110v & 8' ceilings, plus i don't plan on being there for very long. Perfect setup for me, the only thing I regret is not buying one years ago.

JSK
JSK
2/6/09 9:43 p.m.

This may be the perfect solution.

www.maxjaxusa.com

scrowner
scrowner New Reader
2/6/09 10:07 p.m.

I just got a Bend Pak, 4 post. Cost me only $2500. I looked at the cheaper 4 post, and looked at some used ones in my area. I purchased mine through Metro Lifts. I searched for ONLY ALI inspected lifts - there are only a few. I do not have the posts secured to the floor, i do have the casters to move it. I was at first a bit disappointed with the air lock release - only because I thought I was getting a manual release.

I had to pick up the crate for the lift from the carrier and used a 14ft. trailor I borrowed from a neighbor. The crate was 1 ton. I had 4 strong guys and we assembled the Bend Pak lift, HD-9ST, placing the ramps on the cross bars and hooking up the cables in about 4 hours. The directions indicate using a fork lift! The ramps are VERY heavy. The ramps are placed on the cross bars that are locked in place 60 inches in the air. We had two guys on each end of the ramps and lifted to tops of step ladders and then move one end of the ramp on the cross and then the second. VERY heavy. On the next day I was able to get it to operate in about 3 more hours by myself, hooking up the hydraulics and air lines for the locks. I had to purchase a laser level that rotates to level the system. ($75 from lowes) This is the best toy I have ever purchased. Bend Pak is SOLID.....very SOLID.

Metro Lifts makes a cheaper 4 post that will save you about a $1000. Call them and talk to them, this company knows their stuff and they answered questions for me during the Saturday I assembled it.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/6/09 10:14 p.m.

We have one of the scissors type lifts (like the md-6xp above) in what used to be a "dead bay" in our shop.

It's... okay. It gets cars higher than jackstands, but not much more so. It's a pain to do anything underneath the car, including oil changes, because you're always fighting the lift. And the kicker, the rollers EAT the cement. "One-a these days" we will get some 16 gauge sheet for it to roll on, but for now it has long since chewed through the hard smooth top layer of our floor and is grinding the subsurface into powder.

Also, never ever ever drop a car on it all the way down. They have no power at zero height. Fortunately (for me) they learned that lesson before I started my employment there.

Basically we use that bay to park dead cars, or do brake work, or mostly/exclusively underhood stuff like intake manifolds and the like. It is the preferred bay for interior work since it is the only one that doesn't have posts in the way of the doors. (Ever try to remove a dahsboard when you can only open the doors half way?)

JSK
JSK New Reader
2/7/09 9:02 a.m.

Again,

This may be the perfect solution.

Think about an automobile and light truck garage lift that fits in any residential or commercial garage with ceilings less than eight feet.

Imagine having a car lift that you can use when you need it, then conveniently store out of the way when not in use keeping your garage and vehicle lanes clutter-free.

What if there was a vehicle lift with fully adjustable lift arms that could easily reach factory lift points providing a safe and effective way of lifting vehicles.

A patented lifting system that provides wheels-free convenience for quick brake and tire service and clear undercarriage access of all types of vehicles.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a space-saving garage lift with a lifting height that provides ample clearance under the vehicle for comfortable service of almost any passenger car and light truck?

How about a garage lift that would allow you to work on cars and motorcycles.

www.maxjaxusa.com

Josh
Josh Reader
2/7/09 3:11 p.m.

I'm torn... JSK sure seems like a canoe peddler judging by his only two posts on this forum. But he may have a point, it looks like a really nice system. I haven't seen anything else that looks as versatile for a low ceiling garage. So how much do these things cost anyway?

Keith
2/7/09 3:55 p.m.

I'm sure JSK could tell us. "Wouldn't it be nice if this system only cost...?"

A lift in a garage with an 8' ceiling seems like a bit of a waste, actually. You can't stand under the car, so most of your work would be done on a creeper - which means you only want the car a couple of feet up. I can see how it would be useful if you're pulling transmissions or dropping the subframes out of Miatas (and Miatas on to subframes), but generally speaking you'd be too low most of the time.

Keith
2/7/09 3:56 p.m.

Ha, this page reads awfully familiar:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/maxjax-lifting-system.html

Josh
Josh Reader
2/7/09 7:17 p.m.
Keith wrote: I'm sure JSK could tell us. "Wouldn't it be nice if this system only cost...?" A lift in a garage with an 8' ceiling seems like a bit of a waste, actually. You can't stand under the car, so most of your work would be done on a creeper - which means you only want the car a couple of feet up. I can see how it would be useful if you're pulling transmissions or dropping the subframes out of Miatas (and Miatas on to subframes), but generally speaking you'd be too low most of the time.

I get your point, but if that's the garage you are stuck with for whatever reason, it might be the best you can do. Most people don't have the luxury of building a garage around the dimensions of the lift they want to use. The idea of the lift being easily removable and leaving behind minimal evidence also appeals to me, as well as the ability to take down one post to work on a motorcycle easily. I'd be interested in something like this for my first house, which I anticipate will be much smaller than I'd like, and not a place I'll be living forever.

Keith
2/7/09 11:08 p.m.

I'm stuck with a garage with an 8' ceiling myself, and I don't see that changing soon. I'm lucky enough to have access to the lifts at work when I have to do, say, a transmission. But I'm having a hard time seeing the value of being able to get a car 3' off the floor. It's too high for creeper work but too low to stand under. I'd love to hear the benefit, as I would love to have a reason for a lift at home :)

The portability, that's good. You'll still need to sink bolts into the floor if I read the site correctly, and you'll need a nice slab underneath. If you've ever humped around even a single arm from a lift like that, you'll expect to be a little sweaty after setting it up. The specs state 300 lbs for each of the columns, and the anchor bolt specs page claims 383 for empty load. So the arms are over 40 lbs each.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/8/09 5:11 a.m.

Keith, a good reason to have a lift even with an 8' ceiling is for car storage. If space is tight, you could park your Miatas (or whatever) on top of each other. I've got a low ceiling height in my garage and I've considered getting a Bend Pak 4 post with casters. That way I could use it for car storage normally and simple maintenance (regular service, fluid changes, alignments, etc.) would still be doable inside the garage, but if I really had to get some elevation (dropping a subframe, doing exhaust work, etc.) I could roll the lift outside where the sky's the limit.

A friend of mine recently got a Bend Pak 2 post and is very satisfied. I'm more of a 4 post guy, but since I've got no lift at all right now, anything would be an improvement.

Bryce

Woody
2/8/09 8:31 a.m.

When you get to a certain age (and that age can be much younger than you might expect), even swapping tires or doing a brake job on jackstands can take your back out for a couple of days. Just getting the car another foot higher would help.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PoyZEpLBxMHsXYGbh4dtlCYHD72fCM29yqzXYKwlZW4Wa2c8TRxr3BYNDQtpaPce